Will I really be at a disadvantage admissions-wise if i take the GRE over the GMAT? I'm way better at the GRE

So I'm a marketing professional at a large tech company (think SAP, Oracle, IBM, Cisco, etc.) with 3.5 years of experience. I'm a graduate of Vanderbilt University, with a 3.81 GPA in History. My strengths are in the humanities and liberal arts.

I took a real GRE cold, without any practice, and got a 160/170 V, but horrible on quant - a 149/170Q. Unlike a lot of people, the verbal GRE part comes easy to me because I've built up my vocabulary and reading comprehension skills through my studies. I got a 5 on the essay.

I took a practice GMAT, and did decently (but not as good) on the verbal, but even worse on the quant section. I forgot the exact numbers or percentages. However, the GRE comes a lot more naturally to me. I did horribly on both GMAT and GRE math because I haven't taken any math since high school and forgot all the formulas.

For what it's worth, I was a straight As math student as a kid through high school, and got a 2230 on the SAT I (800 on the math section), and a 770 on the Math 2 subject test in high school. So if I relearn my basic HS math concepts I feel like I'll be able to do well on the GRE. The math seems a bit easier and the on screen calculator helps a lot, and no tricky data sufficiency stuff on the GRE.

I feel like I could do well on the GMAT (700 plus) if I studied my complete ass off for it, but I could do just as well, if not better, on the GRE with a fraction of my time and effort. My verbal just needs practice, I just really need to relearn how to do math.

I'm not sure if I'll take a class for the GRE, since I just need to learn math. Maybe a math only online course would be good from Magoosh or Manhattan? Lots of good self-study materials too, like the ETS guide.

However, will MBA adcoms "ding" me for taking the GRE over the GMAT, even if I can get a much higher GRE score than GMAT? I am committed to getting an MBA, so if not taking it would screw me, I'd take the GMAT. Is the rumor true that despite many MBA adcoms saying they look at the GRE and GMAT equally, they secretly still prefer the GMAT BC it's "harder" (esp on quant), or that it shows commitment to b-school?

Someone told me that I should take the GMAT, bc adcoms will be skeptical of my liberal arts background, and would want me to "prove" my quant skills, and that scoring a high quant score on the GMAT would do this as the GRE quant is considered too easy. Is this true?

I'm aiming for an m7/t15 school btw, for a career in general management. So if I took the GMAT, my goal would be a 730+, while on the GRE, it would be to get 163+ on both verbal and quant. It's just, having taken both, I found the GMAT way harder and way more unfamiliar to me given my skillset.

Best Response

Most schools say that they don't prefer one or the other. However, if you think you would get a high score on either one (730+ on GMAT), I'd say to go for the GMAT. Schools report average gmat scores and usually not average GRE scores so if your score would pull up their average, they're more likely to accept you. Average GMAT scores are a factor of b school rankings so a school will usually do whatever they can to up that number.

For what it's worth, I was in a pretty similar situation to you - aced the verbal on my first practice test and bombed the quant for a total score of 680 (I don't remember the Q/V breakdown but it was basically 98th percentile on verbal and 40th on Quant). I took the Kaplan self-paced gmat course and only did the math sections - didn't look at verbal at all - and scored a 780 on the actual test (50Q/47V).

get a good score (80% V and Q) and move on. You don't get in because of a perfect score.

[quote="M7 MBA, iBanking. Top MSF grad. AntiTNA. Truth is hard to hear! But... "] [/quote] [quote="DickFuld: Yeah....most of these people give terrible advice."] [/quote]

Repellendus accusamus eum eum. Architecto doloribus dolorum iste et nemo ducimus.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”