I'm feeling very discouraged. f500 marketing job. strong gPA, Undergrad, and GMAT. But No Promotions. I feel like a loser

I'm feeling very discouraged. I've always wanted to get an MBA. MBB consulting is my dream. I graduated from Cornell with a degree in Psychology. I got a job at IBM doing marketing. It's been three years and I haven't been promoted.

I've been doing good work, and have good recs, but haven't had formal leadership. I've tried very hard, and I'm well liked, but other people got the promotion and not me. People say I need to get the promotion, but it's hard, life isn't that easy, and I'm frustrated. I feel like giving up. I feel absolutely and utterly destroyed after I got passed up for a fourth time. I'm not bad at what I do, and my manager always says that. I made around 85kish already, which isn't bad.

I have a 3.9 GPA. A 770 GMAT. 3 years of experience at a f500. But no career progression. Is it even worth it for me to apply to MBA programs? Any shot at any t15 program? Or am I a failure for not getting any promotions? It's not easy...even though I try so hard, it's not easy being a superstar.

I'm thinking about law school too. With my high GPA, and a potentially high LSAT, I can get into a very top law school like that one other guy here who had shitty WE but high raw stats. Would it be better for me to take the LSAT, and if I can get a 170+ (which I'm sure I can), I should pursue the t14 law route?

Thanks.

Have you ever considered that the problem may not be you, but the company itself (or more precisely, your fit with the firm).

Consider this: you've basically brow beat yourself to a bunch of strangers on the Internet. Anonymously yes but still. So what's the likelihood that folks around the office also pick up on that (that you're down on yourself)? You can be well-liked and not taken seriously, or well-liked and respected. And that may be mostly your fault, OR it may be a function of the work environment you're in that makes you feel that way.

Either way, you may not want to break up with IBM right now, but you may want to start looking at other places to work that may value your contributions.

Alex Chu www.mbaapply.com

IBM is a tough place, lots of tenure people with connections clogging up the middle and upper management positions. Also marketing is a tough place to be in with social media advertising and the internet.

26 Broadway where's your sense of humor?

With a decent backstory, you stand a fair shot at MBA business schools ">M7 program with those stats. Try to get a better understanding of why you're not getting promoted though. Maybe your managers think you're going to move on to greener pastures soon, so they're not wasting a promotion on you.

As for law school, only do it if law actually interests you, don't do it just to do it; you'll hate it. I did law school without really being certain I wanted to practice and wish I hadn't.

Either route, don't get so discouraged. Law school is brutal and imagine top MBA program is equally tough. You'll need some fortitude to make it through.

Hi,

I was in a very similar position as you are in right now, so I can relate.

Was nearing 3 years in Corp Fin at a very large and bureaucratic F50 company. I could not get a promotion despite stellar performance and strong UG stats. All due to internal politics.

So I had enough and applied to another F500 company, where I got promoted fairly quickly and I am much happier with my work.

My advice it to you is - RUN! You need to get away from IBM to a company that values your contributions. Echoing what Alex said above.

Best Response

Enim in atque omnis totam minus ut. Consequatur voluptates impedit eius at earum et facere et. Est at itaque suscipit recusandae. Optio officiis qui eaque iusto veniam ut possimus.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
bolo up's picture
bolo up
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”