A career-guidance listicle popped up on my feed, and for once it wasn't garbage. This article, originally by Motley Fool and reposted by Fast Company, discusses six career mistakes to avoid. While the framing device of "mistakes to avoid" is odd - maybe it gets more clicks than a list of things to both do or not do - the six ideas themselves are very good advice:
- Step outside your comfort zone and put yourself in a position where you might fail
- Push yourself to keep learning and growing professionally
- Do not get easily flustered
- Do not neglect your professional relationships
- Do not allow yourself to be unhappy at work
- Ask for a raise
If these six things are common sense to you, good, but you'd be amazed how many people are afraid to do something out of the ordinary, can't find the time to improve themselves, get all worked up about insignificant adversity, don't know how to maintain a relationship, and continue to work in a job they don't like for not enough money.
Food for thought.