Important Career Ideas For 2019

A career-guidance listicle popped up on my feed, and for once it wasn't garbage. This article, originally by Motley Fool and reposted by Fast Company, discusses six career mistakes to avoid. While the framing device of "mistakes to avoid" is odd - maybe it gets more clicks than a list of things to both do or not do - the six ideas themselves are very good advice:

1. Step outside your comfort zone and put yourself in a position where you might fail

2. Push yourself to keep learning and growing professionally

3. Do not get easily flustered

4. Do not neglect your professional relationships

5. Do not allow yourself to be unhappy at work

6. Ask for a raise

If these six things are common sense to you, good, but you'd be amazed how many people are afraid to do something out of the ordinary, can't find the time to improve themselves, get all worked up about insignificant adversity, don't know how to maintain a relationship, and continue to work in a job they don't like for not enough money.

Food for thought.

Most Helpful
Chimp scampi:
Great points!

As a junior professional who only has a few years under her belt, do you have any tips around maintaining professional relationships? I think that is by far the hardest thing to do here.

At your age, making professional relationships in the first place is more of a goal than maintaining. Go to industry events and meet people your own age and then hit them up to grab a beer or lunch or play golf or something - something outside of an industry event. Also, work on finding a couple mentors that you can turn to for genuine advice.

Commercial Real Estate Developer

The important thing here is to not be weird or stiff about it. You want to genuinely try to find friends. Sure they may never be as deep as your "real" friends, but you'd be amazed.

This is something I have always struggled with. Making a solid first impression is easy, but it's the follow up, "friend-making" that I find difficult.

Any tips for keeping it loose (but not overly loose...) with new professional relationships and friendships?

I don't mean to be a dick about this, but you're essentially asking "how do I make friends?"

Talk shop but don't only talk shop. Your best professional friends will do or like similar things to you - sports, music, hobbies, etc. - just like your real friends.

Not overtly "dickish" response. I think the distinction between just making friends and professional friends comes from a level of comfort talking about or sharing "taboo" subjects/interests- and where that line is drawn.

I hear your point, though.

Eius cumque vel rem illo aliquid quia. Natus dolor voluptas vel corporis. Dolor maxime aut dolor voluptatem quae.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”