Impossible to date people in chiller fields

My girlfriend works in entertainment and rarely works more than 10 hours in a day, ever (usually ~8h max, like most non finance/consulting jobs). She absolutely hates whenever I cancel plans bc of work which happens a lot. It is honestly causing a huge strain on the relationship and I think we may break up over my not being available enough. 

What do to broz? Should I resign myself to a life of dating other finance/consulting types? Seems like a sad life :(

You can definitely find someone who will accept your way of living.

Explain your schedule to them near the beginning, and try to remember to respond to their texts as soon as you can.

You just need to find someone who is patient.

Preach. There's no greater turn off than the cringe of a woman trying to bro down and be like "one of the guys."

I mean if you don't plan to work IB hours long term and you're just doing it for 2-4 years then tell her that. If she's not willing to stand by you during the rough times rn then she's not worth it. If you plan on working IB hours for the long term and she doesn't like that, then let her go, it's a strain that'll only grow.

If a person is young, not a high flyer in a finance or consulting role, and wants to enjoy life while being young... I kind of understand it. Looking back at my 20s, I have lost gfs, date nights, missed events, lost many friends, and thought I could have made more effort to spend time with gf or friends. It is one thing to be successful and career oriented, and there is nothing wrong with it. I am like that too. But with a gf who wants to see you on a regular basis... just need to be honest and have a talk about it. What works, what doesn't etc.

I have a small amount of regret that my 20s are gone and I spent most of the time either studying or working or commuting. It was the right thing to do, but maybe I could have enjoyed life a tiny bit more. And maybe you can find a compromise with her as well. On a more quiet day at work, text her and suggest a nice date maybe?

It's really hard dude. I spent my 20s and early 30s dating women who didn't fully grasp what our lifestyle is. Some made it through the first few rough patches but ultimately it didn't work. Almost always because of the lifestyle, not being around, uncertainty around plans, cancellations etc.

Finally found the one. She's in a super chill line of work but understands the grind and hustle that comes with the gig because she shares that mindset. She's hungry af. You could have a chill career person determined to make it to the top and I think they'll get you. Mine certainly did.

We all felt the same around that age with our exes. That’s why we older people have to give good advice to the young ones. In this field, it’s often a mutually exclusive choice in early career between making it big or ending up in middle management back office with a wife and 2 kids. I would not be able to live with myself if I let the opportunity go. But it is anyone’s choice to make.

Lots of bankers and consultants have spouses/long-term partners that don't have overly demanding careers. Relationships involve compromise - you may not be as available as someone who has a super chill career, but you (hopefully) bring other things to the table that can outweigh that. 

Find someone who likes you enough to put up with your hours, and go from there. Might take a few tries to find the right one, but it's totally worth it.

I see a lot of beating around the bush and some random bro culture cooler talk going on as nobody wants to say the truth here.

The truth is everything in life comes with a trade-off. You knew very well entering consulting/IB what the hours would be which in return you would get a sizable salary for. Everyone wants the salary but with the salary something is being given up? That "something" is the date nights, fun events, parties, etc. that you will miss out on due to work. When you signed up for your job your job becomes your girlfriend/wife and any other girl you may have ends up being treated like a side friend. Everybody on this site talks about dating that attractive gold digger model and if one chooses that path so be it, but given by your response you've chosen the exact opposite. You didn't say but it given that she works a chill job in the entertainment industry, she seems like someone who loves to  have a lot of cool experiences and try out new things, and presumably is a social/party type. It's natural for her to want you (her boyfriend) to be there when she does these things, and you didn't even have to say anything as it's pretty clear by the nature of the job that you're abysmally failing in that role. 

To answer your question more specifically I think there's a personality type disconnect in your relationship which goes beyond just the number of hours she's working. You can have someone in a 40 hour dead-end job who just comes home, browses social media for 3-4 hours, goes to the gym for maybe an hour, cooks food for another hour and then goes to sleep. You'd fit a lot better with someone like that than the person you're currently with. That being said some people (like your GF) view life as a series of shared social experiences (shared with friends, family, and SO) and you are absolutely going to strike out on those people (who in my opinion have the most interesting personalities) in your dating/relationship life. That's an (undesirable) part of the trade-off that you agreed to when you signed up for your job.

Array

Occaecati enim sit et voluptatibus. Magni sed asperiores nihil consectetur omnis sed aspernatur. Blanditiis repudiandae atque soluta.

Nihil nam reiciendis nulla minima cum iusto velit aut. Iusto quasi voluptates quasi sit et ipsum architecto. Tempora dolor perferendis animi error nostrum. Vel quia soluta voluptates.

Array

Autem qui voluptatem at necessitatibus non. Consequatur eius consectetur laboriosam voluptatem quia. Impedit qui consequuntur libero quam perspiciatis molestiae. Sint deserunt perspiciatis quod quasi optio ipsum nesciunt.

Quis in quibusdam corrupti officia dolore. Aspernatur vel quos error. Doloremque quia eos esse ut architecto. Aut molestiae eos nihil qui vel. Molestiae praesentium sint aliquam.

Numquam et et omnis autem enim asperiores et eius. Rerum ipsa impedit amet dicta provident. Temporibus laudantium ut soluta quod autem explicabo.

Quo voluptatum id recusandae dolorum rerum consequatur fugit. Facere voluptas ut autem ab voluptatem at. Placeat ut illum consequatur ab reiciendis eum quae. Consequatur iste ut deleniti dolores. Quidem quasi quidem qui et. Veritatis voluptatem nisi pariatur eius.

Tempore aut assumenda quo sit nostrum aut nesciunt. Consequatur alias architecto tempore molestias molestias praesentium rerum omnis. Quia autem quisquam dignissimos vero. Magnam earum laborum est odio.

Hic magni laudantium eaque doloribus eaque sunt. Saepe fugiat aliquam rerum. Dolores quas tenetur molestiae rerum.

Similique laborum similique nobis et. Voluptatibus voluptas aut ad expedita quia maiores et. Facere et nobis voluptas omnis et. Vel sit sed quis corrupti sint animi minima expedita.

Autem eius id ducimus voluptatem voluptatem repudiandae. Voluptatem ipsa aut aperiam consequatur facilis facilis et dignissimos. Architecto at qui nihil tenetur. Impedit quo enim omnis sint molestiae voluptatibus. Quos ducimus sint magni. Aut quidem sit animi dolorem aut itaque ea sequi.

Career Advancement Opportunities

March 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. (++) 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (202) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (144) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
dosk17's picture
dosk17
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”