Incoming Barclays FT 2020

Hi All,

While the near-term focus has been primarily summer analyst programs, I wanted to pull a thread together for all incoming FT Barclays analysts and associates (all offices). The original start-date for Barclays Americas was training in NYC starting July 22. Needless to say, that is unlikely to proceed as originally planned!

Like many of you, I haven't have received any official communication since "we're in this together" on 20-Mar-2020. I was hoping we could use this thread to share any updates (official or unofficial), discuss group placements, and connect.

Hope you're staying safe and well during these uncertain times!

Thanks for doing this thread, great idea! London Training is supposed to start July 22 as well and so far have not heard otherwise. For the February joiners in London they ended up doing the training online from early march onwards, so I'd expect something similar to happen in July. Looking forward to hearing from anyone else with other info.

Nobody has inside info bro, all of you will get the update email at the same time

they never gave an official date but June 1 was the original unofficial start

Agreed. My guess would be they determine the SA program as a first priority, and the FT program will follow. FT is scheduled to start later and has more flexibility, so I see it as less urgent. Furthermore, I'm sure the decisions they make for SA (i.e. delays, virtual/in-person) will cascade to FT, so this must be determined first.

I definitely feel for the SAs, Having no direction on the path forward for the program less than 6 weeks out is tough, albeit I think we can all agree the bank has more urgent matters on their hands. I am hopeful the formal update comes in the next week or so. I wouldn't be surprised if the FT update is sent at the same time, or soon after.

My two cents, anyways.

Incoming FT not at Barclays. Hope you guys hear something soon. It’s brutal that nothing has been sent out yet.

Not a BB. Industry specific boutique in NYC. HR has been in constant communication with us since last month. Honestly has handled the situation pretty well. They are basically doing what everyone else is doing and feeling out things and trying to decide what the plan is. Ultimately nothing has changed as of now but I can’t imagine we have in person training so I’m anticipating an email in the next few weeks with details.

I have friends going to BBs. Same boat as well where things are “on as planned” as of now but most likely because they haven’t decided on an alternative yet.

I’m pretty sure the graduate programmes at Barclays are full time permanent positions where you don’t run the risk of being automatically kicked out after a year or two like at some other banks

So in the bg check process, you have to provide the contact information to bg verifier right? Or they just reach out to previous employers by themselves?

Nothing yet. However, the trend across all BB FT programs has been a lack of formal communication, with some banks expected to provide updates in mid-May. I get the impression Barclays (among others) is waiting to see how the COVID-19 situation evolves before committing to any impacts to FT start dates or training formats. Compared to summer interns, ultimately we are a more flexible group.

At this point I would assume business as usual, until told otherwise. Of course, I expect training is all but guaranteed to be virtual, however I am unsure if they will pursue a delayed start. As mentioned above, I agree that now the SA program has been resolved, hopefully we can expect to hear from HR soon. Not sure if anyone else has had separate conversations with HR or other internal sources?

Anybody got info on when the background check will start? Saw many of you guys getting an update on the comments above, but nothing so far for me in HK..

Sorry for not giving more info - I assumed the e-mail went to all incoming graduates, but perhaps it just went to the Americas offices. The e-mail outlined the two training companies which will be used for general Barclays training, and also the SIE, Series 79, and Series 63 exam prep. The general training also has pre-work curriculum we have to complete to ensure we hit the ground running once training starts.

As mentioned in the comments above, HR also stated the program remains unchanged at this point, but is under review. This means decisions on start date delays or virtual delivery haven't been finalized. As such, nothing official on start dates or background checks at this point. Hope this helps.

Obviously no updates yet from the HR Team (those have been sent to all incoming employees), but does anyone have any inside info on what the plan is for training and start dates? The "training is unchanged as of now" messaging is nothing but a deferral of making a decision - clearly there will not be an in-person training program in NYC by late July... At this point I assume a completely virtual training program, but I am more curious about whether or not the start date will be pushed back. I was originally scheduled to be in NYC on July 22 for training. Will this date be kept? Pushed into August? September? As I'm sure you all agree, this information would be very useful!

No, I believe the last email we received told us not to take the exam prior to arriving and that we would be covering exam material during training. However, I have received my three prep books and online resource access to begin studying ahead of that.

Going FT into IB barclays in NY here - latest thing I've heard from current employees is that we will not be going into the office in-person until at least september or october

In London they plan for us to hit the desks on Sept 14, although this was decided before Barclays communicated to employees about WFH until end of Sept. Also, I received my Hireright invite last night for anyone who hasn't received it yet (London start date is same as NYC).

Just received an e-mail - FT Training confirmed as virtual, and a placeholder start date of July 30th. However, HR was clear to emphasize that this start date is not confirmed, and we will receive the official confirmed start date in the coming weeks. Not overly useful in terms of planning, but hey I guess it's an update! I would guess the start date won't be any earlier than July 30th, but perhaps they are suggesting it's possible to see a slight delay.

We didn't have it last summer and seems like the same process. It sucks that we have to redo everything again

kinda worried over here, so the hr said the proposed start date is 13/7 for me (HK), but still received nth about background checks or first day guidelines so far.....

they would either push the start date or expedite the onboarding process

US background check (cisive) doesn't ask for other investments like stocks on robinhood? do u know how we are supposed to disclose them

how long is the training? if we start on july 30th, when will be the first day at the desk?

when you say 2.5 weeks for the exams, do you mean the exam training or do they give you a self-study period of 2.5 weeks?

Did everyone see the new email? Mentions placement day is September 8th?? How did they just push the placement day from July 16 to September 8th lol.

I received the Cisive email the same day too. I submitted all of the forms but have not heard anything back yet.

Got it, thank you. Any former SA receive info on fingerprinting? I think we had it done last year at the office so maybe we don’t have to again.

yeah it says all tasks completed until they ask for a new form. What does the confirmation email say? How long did it take you then? I didn't get a completed background check email last summer too (it was cisive again)

did you see the i9 issue and suspended interns? anyone knows exactly why? we don't want to make the same mistake lol

yeah but happened to many interns not 1-2 so it should be important for incoming FT paperwork too

Does anyone know if we will be getting any equipment (i.e. laptop/monitor) or a technology stipend? Heard from a current analyst that HR may be providing laptops in the fall so they recommended holding off from buying a laptop if thats the case.

OK I think I figured it out as I was filling out my I-9. In the second section, you are allowed to put anyone but yourself as agent. but the guideline says that employer of the agent should be written as Barclays even tho this person doesn't work there. So, I guess the problem is USCIS cannot verify the agent works at Barclays

Hi all, current intern here.

Quick question: what is the policy for return offers? How long do we have to decide?

I’m fairly certain finance isn’t for me so far since it’s not exciting, so I want to interview more broadly. If we’re only given the two weeks after the last day, I don’t think I can do that so would either have to turn it down or renege. I haven’t gotten an offer yet, but would like to know what I might get myself into ahead of time.

Thanks!

Has anyone received confirmation about I-9 forms? Not sure if we are expected to hear anything, but wanted to check with you all.

Neque similique iure sunt iste qui corporis. Nostrum aut quae ea ipsa placeat. Doloribus nihil necessitatibus non et.

Incidunt minus doloremque cumque ut quam ipsum saepe voluptate. Libero debitis quisquam ipsum ut in unde ut. Hic est cum sit rerum explicabo. Unde nihil aut qui modi ea est.

Doloribus inventore dolore eaque et. Ut eligendi alias et corrupti et molestias. Cupiditate et laudantium assumenda id saepe. Voluptas itaque dolorum aspernatur eius omnis provident.

Odit saepe autem sed magnam doloribus natus sed. Sit delectus veniam veniam et eveniet ipsam deleniti. Aut et et alias qui. Qui qui et eveniet corporis a magni.

Dolor in nihil et optio sapiente. Minus possimus sit et qui. Sit ut voluptas non et. Omnis alias adipisci eos nobis qui.

Quas expedita et tenetur nulla doloribus qui. Ipsam architecto modi sit aliquam rerum debitis corrupti. Aspernatur aut autem quibusdam est est.

In rerum dolores illum modi. Libero odio ad laudantium consectetur dignissimos voluptas. Nemo dicta voluptas culpa saepe illum assumenda nemo. Laboriosam incidunt ut facere. Consequuntur repudiandae quis in maiores tempora delectus. Qui eius ratione est quia sint.

Ut aut ipsum deleniti. Illo nihil autem modi. Enim sequi modi et quo enim dolores. Velit quo ut voluptas tempore.

Sit magnam perferendis aut est sed. Perferendis eius ut error iusto. Corrupti nisi ipsa corporis voluptatem molestias maiores.

Amet vel itaque laudantium harum aut eos maxime qui. Totam eos veniam recusandae quo. Sequi accusamus dolores architecto voluptas et omnis. Voluptatibus dignissimos et labore dolor quasi. Commodi blanditiis quo aut sit sit id nihil nesciunt.

Ad aut pariatur consequatur est repudiandae et sit ratione. Ipsa maiores ut voluptatem dolorem est. Et rerum dolorem non et asperiores.

Voluptatibus aut et ut. Sed molestiae nesciunt et. Est dolore molestiae voluptatem nam nihil quia. Incidunt magni quibusdam fuga temporibus occaecati repellat minima. Sed odit aut in quam officiis.

Rem saepe distinctio qui ea delectus. Illum aut sed nisi ratione. In ratione soluta illo debitis assumenda. Voluptatem est dolores aperiam ut ea eos eum.

Tempora temporibus asperiores incidunt omnis qui. Recusandae earum repellendus voluptatem aut. Et quo deleniti voluptatem rerum tempore maiores.

Esse voluptates possimus alias omnis qui beatae quam. Natus enim magni exercitationem voluptas aliquid eligendi tempora. Et quis et cum aliquid et.

Repellendus culpa quod repellendus fugit ut voluptatem et. Error culpa molestiae necessitatibus voluptatem sunt. Ut reprehenderit omnis numquam nam dolores. Sed modi et laudantium harum.

Expedita vel quibusdam sit ut aspernatur et. Molestiae nesciunt sit illum a consectetur ratione. Deleniti numquam nobis non cum doloremque quia ut. Ducimus sunt eos non recusandae rerum tempora ea.

Vel dolorum harum vitae illo aut id cum ratione. Veniam dolorem aut blanditiis non quibusdam.

Doloremque autem corporis quis. Temporibus molestias accusamus qui. Suscipit dolor ipsam suscipit corporis beatae est tenetur. Veritatis et qui et cupiditate.

Harum dignissimos totam et corrupti recusandae. Corrupti vero sunt nobis earum reiciendis est. Ut et et sed ut aliquam ut.

Est expedita aspernatur aut id sed nobis quod enim. Voluptas qui facilis qui deleniti aut similique incidunt. Totam sint corporis provident nesciunt facilis.

Ad labore dolorem inventore repellendus accusamus amet rerum. In est consequatur aspernatur sed saepe blanditiis natus. Iste molestiae reiciendis facilis unde quas quidem.

Accusantium consequatur et in voluptatem quo voluptas sunt. Omnis distinctio quia non sed consequatur et. Ut qui ut quia modi sit commodi.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
dosk17's picture
dosk17
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
kanon's picture
kanon
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”