Incoming BB Canadian Intern Seeking 2021 Rerecruiting Advice

I am looking for advice about how to best go about re-recruiting.

For background, I am a junior at a Canadian target business school (Ivey/Queen’s) currently scheduled to intern at one of the global bank Toronto offices (BAML/CS/GS) this summer. While I am grateful for this opportunity, I know that New York is the place I want to be long-term and I am now planning to re-recruit for full-time.

The problem is that a lot of the Canadian alumni working on Wall Street I would normally reach out to have friends at the bank I’ll be summering at. Hence, I am afraid that they’ll tell their friends I am re-recruiting and that the word would spread around the office, making it possibly a hostile internship work environment and lowering my chance to get a return offer.

The options I thought about are as follows:

• Option 1: Not network at all, and simply apply with hopes my resume gets picked up
  • Option 2: Only network with alumni that re-recruited – maybe they’ll be understanding and keep that to themselves
  • Option 3: Only network with senior bankers/non-Canadian juniors
  • Option 4: Keep networking like usual and hope for the best

What do you guys think about this? Anybody in the same situation?

Thanks

Networking is never a bad thing. You have no experience in the industry and you're looking to learn from professionals. Networking this early could only be bad if you are rude or explicitly overt about wanting an opportunity with their firm. Keep it casual and position it completely as a learning opportunity based on their group, deal experience, etc. And if you are really that concerned about any Canadian connection just network with people at the NY banks who have no ties to the country. 

Looking at it from that angle, you're right it's really not that bad as long as I keep it framed as a learning opportunity instead of an internship-seeking call. I ever there are leaks, I could just say that I want to meet and learn from new people – nothing more, nothing less.

As a Canuck who made a similar switch to London from TO, I would suggest you start networking ASAP. Once you start networking after the internship, people might think there is a performance- /fit-related problem that would hurt your chances in FT recruitment. Be up front with them, tell that you want to move to NYC because of X, Y, and Z. Ask them for guidance on how to navigate the FT process. Best of luck!

I think it's fine to network. I would just maybe not speak on those calls like there's 0% chance you would want to stay FT at the bank you're summering at. Nobody will look at you negatively for considering multiple options and seeing which one is best :) Also would you happen to be interested in the bank you're summering at but in NY? Maybe there's some sort of internal process to get you there. I know a friend who started FT at a bank in HK and managed to get internally transferred to Canada (US would have been feasible too, but her family and friends are here so she wanted to be here).

Quod dicta modi dolorum ut. Officia et nihil sit. Culpa occaecati et ipsum fugit et pariatur. Blanditiis natus et qui nisi blanditiis deserunt eum velit. Maxime vero voluptas qui.

Doloribus ad fugiat aut repudiandae libero aut natus ad. Iure sed quibusdam distinctio esse reiciendis. Quisquam quia animi necessitatibus vel est veniam fuga.

Delectus deserunt quisquam ut impedit quisquam. Quibusdam eum deserunt ipsam doloremque vel.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
numi's picture
numi
Kenny_Powers_CFA's picture
Kenny_Powers_CFA
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”