interesting outlook for 2011

Hey all... i came across this interesting article i figured id share with the clan....

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203…

curious to hear others and those in the industries opinions.

AlphaGeneration:
Read about this earlier today...interesting read. Somewhat agree with and believe the market may be due for a correction soon. I'm shorting silver in the new year.

Out of curiosity -- what's your rationale for shorting silver?

Best Response
yourdreamtheater:
AlphaGeneration:
Read about this earlier today...interesting read. Somewhat agree with and believe the market may be due for a correction soon. I'm shorting silver in the new year.

The general logic that I've been hearing is that silver prices have gone up more in % than gold (correct me if im wrong, can't remember exactly how much), but whereas gold could act as a currency silver has no history of such a role. and therefore the price is not justified.

An interesting perspective I've heard on gold from some of the most qualified people in the industry is that the demand for PHYSICAL gold (instead of ETF contracts) is shooting up. 85% of physical gold from decades ago still remain, but the # of contracts have multiplied since then, creating a gap between the real supply & the volume being traded. Also talked about land as a scarce resource and how to trade on that - many PMs from well-known HFs were there and it seems no one had quite figured out a good strategy yet, but I thought it was a very interesting idea.

Just relaying what I've heard. Sorry if I'm not using correct terminologies, definitely not an expert myself.

I don't accept sacrifices and I don't make them. ... If ever the pleasure of one has to be bought by the pain of the other, there better be no trade at all. A trade by which one gains and the other loses is a fraud.

ahe:
yourdreamtheater:
AlphaGeneration:

The general logic that I've been hearing is that silver prices have gone up more in % than gold (correct me if im wrong, can't remember exactly how much), but whereas gold could act as a currency silver has no history of such a role. and therefore the price is not justified.

An interesting perspective I've heard on gold from some of the most qualified people in the industry is that the demand for PHYSICAL gold (instead of ETF contracts) is shooting up. 85% of physical gold from decades ago still remain, but the # of contracts have multiplied since then, creating a gap between the real supply & the volume being traded. Also talked about land as a scarce resource and how to trade on that - many PMs from well-known HFs were there and it seems no one had quite figured out a good strategy yet, but I thought it was a very interesting idea.

Just relaying what I've heard. Sorry if I'm not using correct terminologies, definitely not an expert myself.

Silver has no history of such role?!

Google the crises of silver currency and bank notes 1750 - 1870.

Silver at these prices is mad cheap still. Silvers not only the poor mans gold but unlike gold silver has industrial purposes.

Holla at me when Silvers 50 an ounce

wallstreetballa:
ahe:
yourdreamtheater:
AlphaGeneration:

Silver has no history of such role?!

Google the crises of silver currency and bank notes 1750 - 1870.

Silver at these prices is mad cheap still. Silvers not only the poor mans gold but unlike gold silver has industrial purposes.

Holla at me when Silvers 50 an ounce

Sorry - just regurgitating what I've been hearing since an explanation was asked for... Like I said I'm here to learn!

I don't accept sacrifices and I don't make them. ... If ever the pleasure of one has to be bought by the pain of the other, there better be no trade at all. A trade by which one gains and the other loses is a fraud.

derivstrading:
AlphaGeneration:

You don't work on JPM's commodities desk by any chance do you?

I know the guy that runs JPM's commodities desk for precious metals. Although when I talked to him a couple weeks ago, I failed to ask about where things are going. We mainly just discussed what the next bubble would be.

@ f1mpladed, I share some of the same thoughts of the article.

@ Alpha, I hope you are not shorting silver futures. That could be devastating to one's capital.

IMO if silver touches $35 oz in the first quarter it is going staright to $40 without a hick up during the year. Not due to "fundamental" or "tech" reasons, just because of speculator panic. Don't let this last week of the year mass sell off fool you. Large players are going flat commodities. What happens when they lock and reload second week of 2011?

I speak purely from a futures stand point.

Please don't make me talk to you like an asshole...

Voluptas vel tempora perspiciatis et. Dolores cum at quia voluptatum placeat ducimus. Qui neque voluptates quisquam maxime. Pariatur qui odio id dolorem.

Velit beatae incidunt possimus est rerum assumenda est. Beatae itaque nulla dolor libero odio animi nihil. A beatae officia fugiat et ut. Similique unde labore consequatur harum rerum voluptatibus. Quasi omnis ducimus maxime odit.

Voluptatibus cumque consequatur aut eaque. Ullam quae non eos voluptas exercitationem earum sed. Ex voluptas at cum totam asperiores. Autem dignissimos mollitia earum sint voluptatem est.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”