International Student NOT in the US. Can I still recruit for SA/FT 2021?

Hey Guys,
Hope all are well and safe.

I am a UG student based in India (2018-21 class).
Even though networking is still very nascent in the Indian Recruitment scenario, I've been doing it very actively to land an IB gig.
However, besides only networking with professionals in India, I've also networked alot with professionals from US.
A few of them were kind enough to connect me with the HR/ some juniors. During my conversations with them, I was told I can apply for US IB SA/FT roles. (Although, I am set to graduate in July 2021, coz three year UG, the HR told me I am still eligible for the SA program).

Nonetheless, do you guys feel that I have a chance at firms, that actively sponsor international students. (though I realise that those students, are already enrolled in a US UG/MS program).

The question may seem a bit silly, and the chances very bleak, but any insights can go a long way for me. Have you guys seen such candidates ? If so, what all can I do to improve my chances?

Appreciate any help, that you guys can offer.
Thanks.

Your chances are basically zero, unless you're exceedingly impressive and impress the right people. Still, I think you should assume your chances are zero realistically: Your best path to a US-based IB offer is to either find your way to a HK/SG office and transition internally, or to get into a US MS program by doing well and gaining job experience in your undergraduate studies. Regardless, you should keep doing everything you're already doing and more, so that you can set yourself up to a good local internship, pivot to a regional hub, then make the final transition.

just FYI - the embassies are closed for visa applications. Nobody knows when the relevant departments will be available again. Visa applications and sponsorships take a lot of time.

Also, looking at the replies above, your chances are near zero percent. Unless you know really senior people in a local bank or government, I don't think anybody would sponsor a work permit with millions of unemployed USCs.

There are even rumors to halt visa programs for international professionals.

Agree with Analyst2 above. I tried doing the same thing a few years back and it's been my biggest regret in my career so far. You have 0 chance of getting sponsorship if you're not currently at a US university. Better to work at an office in Asia of a firm with US presence and after a couple of years apply for an internal move using an L1 visa. Or pursue an MBA in the US in a few years and apply for IB from there.

Most Helpful

agree with all of the above. Your options are- 1. Work at a BB in Bombay then transition to Singapore or HK. if you’re doing your BMM etc it’s gonna be tough since BBs take IITians so you will need some connections or help. 2. Come to do your masters in finance at a stem program. Literally spend all your time networking and talking to anyone and everyone. You will have to target BBs as very few MM/ EB shops sponsor. 3. Work at a decent place for 3 years. Could be consulting or banking. Supplement that with TFI etc + hobbies that distinguish you from other Indians. Then come to do your MBA from a top 12 program.

Would recommend #2 or #3.

Your chances are very bleak but not zero. Its only worth applying if you feel that the marginal applications to the U.S. (and time spent doing targeted networking) do not come at high enough opportunity cost in terms of higher quality applications you could have sent to Indian or other Asian offices.

If you are truly exceptional, it is always worth doing. Good luck

Voluptatem voluptate at consequatur dolore provident laudantium qui. Necessitatibus cupiditate dicta ullam voluptatem beatae. Qui quod autem nulla perferendis est. Nulla mollitia vel fuga officiis. Ut deleniti reprehenderit sed non possimus.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”