Internship Advice - Junior at a target with 3.55 GPA

Hey guys,

So I'm a junior at a target school with around a 3.55 gpa currently. I went to meet with a career counselor yesterday to get some advice on how to get started preparing for recruiting season in the fall. But what she had to say scared me a bit. In high school I worked for a financial recruiting firm but since i've been in college my only internship experience has been with the DOJ. Basically i've worked about 20 hours a week during the school year and full time over the summer on top of being an NCAA athlete and keeping my 3.55. It pays well enough to cover my living expenses (which I pay for out of pocket) and I have a TS clearance. But the career counselor told me for strategy consulting like MBB I may be screwed because I don't have a business internship on my resume. She said that I should immediately grab up anything I can find (she showed me a listing for ingersollrand internship that is due friday) and to quit my current job.

My question is does the lack of a business internship take me out of the running for strategy consulting? Do I need to leave my current internship and take whatever I can find for the summer even though it's a little late for anything good? Thanks in advance.

ETA the reason I never got a business internship was because I needed a steady job and I originally had planned on law school, which I no longer want to do.

It's actually the business school at WUSTL so maybe target was a bit misleading but I've seen quite a bit of bain at on campus events.

that's good news to hear she is wrong as I was about ready to take whatever shitty job would have me. Care to let me know your experience? And thanks for the quick reply

Network hard. I didn't have anything related to business on my resume but got a job at MBB. I did things that made me a standout applicant with a 3.6, probably much like being an athlete will do for you.

You can put something on your resume that explains that you're paying your own way through college, or something along those lines. I think your counselor was harshy mc harsherson and knows only about the most conventional way of going about getting these jobs.

Thanks for the input guys. I guess it's time to start networking my ass off. Anyone have some reading or good tips on networking? I know the general advice is contact alumni and try to form a relationship but that does seem like a daunting task. I am also worried about my relatively low ACT scores with a 29, as well. At this point i'd love to grab an MBB but i'm more worried about getting into strategy consulting altogether. I'd gladly take monitor/Booz/OW/deloittes&o or another firm which opens me up for top MBA programs and offers relatively interesting work.

Ya, I tend to be a little neurotic. I wasn't really all that worried about it before I met with the career counselor last early this week. But you are right, I just need to go get it and start some networking. Thanks for the push.

Any other advice on networking/internships/etc are welcome. Thanks for the help everyone.

Et dolorem itaque consequatur sed rerum ut aut. Magnam quae eum nisi tempore aut nihil accusantium. Cupiditate vel vel deleniti repudiandae. Adipisci eaque repudiandae odio.

Ut quidem minima similique fuga. Aut fuga officia enim nihil. Optio qui laboriosam rerum alias. Officiis sint libero est eveniet. Minima ullam aperiam est dolorem modi eaque enim.

In ratione qui nam quis sapiente sed nesciunt. Non qui corrupti id labore tenetur. Inventore dignissimos et dolorum optio iusto cupiditate. In nostrum atque voluptatem deserunt sequi voluptate.

Qui quo dolorum iure voluptatem nisi. In consequatur ut inventore. Quis ad eligendi voluptatem expedita aperiam.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Consulting

• Bain & Company 99.4%
  • McKinsey and Co 98.9%
  • Boston Consulting Group (BCG) 98.3%
  • Oliver Wyman 97.7%
  • LEK Consulting 97.2%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

April 2024 Consulting

• Bain & Company 99.4%
  • Cornerstone Research 98.9%
  • McKinsey and Co 97.7%
  • Oliver Wyman 97.2%

Professional Growth Opportunities

April 2024 Consulting

• Bain & Company 99.4%
  • McKinsey and Co 98.9%
  • Oliver Wyman 97.7%
  • LEK Consulting 97.2%

Total Avg Compensation

April 2024 Consulting

• Partner (4) $368
  • Principal (25) $277
  • Director/MD (55) $270
  • Vice President (47) $246
  • Engagement Manager (100) $226
  • Manager (152) $170
  • 2nd Year Associate (158) $140
  • Senior Consultant (331) $130
  • 3rd+ Year Associate (108) $130
  • Consultant (587) $119
  • 1st Year Associate (538) $119
  • NA (15) $119
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (146) $115
  • Engineer (6) $114
  • 2nd Year Analyst (344) $103
  • Associate Consultant (166) $98
  • 1st Year Analyst (1048) $87
  • Intern/Summer Associate (188) $84
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (552) $67
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”