I apologize in advance for the length of this post. I really need advice on what I should be focusing my time towards. I recently transferred from a non-target to a semi-target (Cornell, Northwestern, Duke etc) as a junior studying Computer Science and plan on staying an extra year to get a masters in CS/AI. I have a near perfect GPA and test scores and have been involved primarily with research at school. I spent my freshman summer working as a SWE intern at a small company and have been spending this summer after sophomore year working as a research intern at a blockchain startup. My goal is to work as a quant researcher/trader or at a Buy-Side firm in investment research and I have been applying to as many prop shops and quant funds as I can find. I realized that obtaining an internship in these roles for next summer will be incredibly difficult so I applied across the board for roles at BB's and HF's as well as smaller shops for Asset Management and S and T roles. I have not heard back yet from BB's and most HF's have rejected me due to my lack of Buy-Side experience. I have done first round interviews for smaller shops and have completed a few first round tests for prop shops and it is becoming clear to me that I lack the depth of knowledge in mathematics/probability and have been reading quant interview books to try to catch up. I am also considering working at a large software company next summer if I am unable to obtain a trading/research internship next summer but I am also behind on practicing for technical interviews for companies like Google, Amazon, Fb etc. I am honestly not sure what to do and becoming increasingly worried as the recruiting season comes to a close. Should I focus on my quantitative abilities and continue to apply to Prop Shops/HF's as well as other Front Office roles or should I work on my algorithms/software technical interviewing skills and focus on getting a job at a large software company. I have heard that many people have already secured internships at banks next summer and am worried that it is already too late and that I am wasting my time looking for a SA position and should instead focus on my programming skills.
Wall Street Oasis Notifications
Please tell us a little bit more about yourself to send you the most relevant notifications
Popular Content See all
- If you can, read the whole story. Anyone out there that's gone through tough shit, heads up and never give up!
My living situation as a child
I was born in a third world country (middle east), very (and I cannot stress this enough) shitty living conditions. Dirt roads, little food,...+241 by BigTuna5 in IB
- Did anyone see this story that just came out? Stud first-year out of NYU charged with insider trading. The idiot bought calls on EFI right before their acquisition by Siris Capital. What a fucking moron, only made $100K as well.+96 by SeekingTheta in IB
- Sans Trump and his legionaries, feels like most are ready for a slight contraction right before things consolidate. Markets are up despite the inverted yield curve, but things are almost certainly likely to get worse before they get better, right?
Trump goon Moore could barely even deny...+85 by iBankedUp in OFF
- I saw this post on Glassdoor and can confirm this is 100% true. Do not be blinded by the positive reviews as Justine (the MD) forces her employees to write them.
-Terrible culture with toxic work envirnoment
-Employees are “highly encouraged” (i.e. forced) to leave artificially positive...+38 by john.smith_3 in IB
He was on suicide watch for months. That means they would have constant eyes on him. They would make sure his cell is pretty much bare of anything he could use to self harm. How the fuck...+37 by 2733278823 in OFF
- **UPDATE: APPLICATION FORM IS OPEN NOW!!!!...and closing soon (phone invites starting to go out this week)**
Fellow WSO Primates, I've been thinking of how we've been putting out a ton more AMAs + podcasts, etc lately and I want to double down on that since it seems like it's...+34 by WallStreetOasis.com in OFF
- I saw this on twitter and I thought damn that's a good question.
Someone else said "That time has far more value than money."
I answered "still waters run deep"
Someone's calm or quiet nature does not reflect their level of depth, likability, or...+33 by isa2130953 in OFF
- [The great porn experiment | Gary Wilson | TEDxGlasgow](https://youtu.be/wSF82AwSDiU)
What do you think about the growing online movements like noFap and the fact that by the time a kid is 12 he's seen more naked women than men would see...+24 by Bizkitgto in OFF
- Hello fellow monkeys,
This probably sounds like a joke, but I'm 2 months into the job and I'm burning a hole in my wallet going out to buy lunch everyday. I want to try and bring lunch from home a few days a week. What do you guys do for lunch if you bring it from home?+23 by markiv199 in IB
- What I heard was Nate Paul's company World Class Capital in Austin is getting raided currently. Anyone know anything?+21 by lux21 in RE
Upcoming EventsSee all
- Aug17WSO DC Meet Up: Sat 8/17 1pm, Vapianos1:00 EDT Washington, DC
- Aug21Financial Modeling Boot Camp -- New York City, 8/21-8/238:00 to 5:00 EDT Online
- Aug21WSO LA Meet Up: Wed 8/21, 7pm, The Bungalow (Santa Monica)7:00 EDT Online
- Aug21WSO Toronto Meetup: Wed August 21st, 7:30pm, Joey Eaton Center7:30 EDT Toronto
- Aug27Financial Modeling Boot Camp -- Boston, 8/27-8/298:00 to 5:00 EDT Online