I apologize in advance for the length of this post. I really need advice on what I should be focusing my time towards. I recently transferred from a non-target to a semi-target (Cornell, Northwestern, Duke etc) as a junior studying Computer Science and plan on staying an extra year to get a masters in CS/AI. I have a near perfect GPA and test scores and have been involved primarily with research at school. I spent my freshman summer working as a SWE intern at a small company and have been spending this summer after sophomore year working as a research intern at a blockchain startup. My goal is to work as a quant researcher/trader or at a Buy-Side firm in investment research and I have been applying to as many prop shops and quant funds as I can find. I realized that obtaining an internship in these roles for next summer will be incredibly difficult so I applied across the board for roles at BB's and HF's as well as smaller shops for Asset Management and S and T roles. I have not heard back yet from BB's and most HF's have rejected me due to my lack of Buy-Side experience. I have done first round interviews for smaller shops and have completed a few first round tests for prop shops and it is becoming clear to me that I lack the depth of knowledge in mathematics/probability and have been reading quant interview books to try to catch up. I am also considering working at a large software company next summer if I am unable to obtain a trading/research internship next summer but I am also behind on practicing for technical interviews for companies like Google, Amazon, Fb etc. I am honestly not sure what to do and becoming increasingly worried as the recruiting season comes to a close. Should I focus on my quantitative abilities and continue to apply to Prop Shops/HF's as well as other Front Office roles or should I work on my algorithms/software technical interviewing skills and focus on getting a job at a large software company. I have heard that many people have already secured internships at banks next summer and am worried that it is already too late and that I am wasting my time looking for a SA position and should instead focus on my programming skills.
Wall Street Oasis Notifications
Please tell us a little bit more about yourself to send you the most relevant notifications
Popular Content See all
- Bridgewater's Ray Dalio [wrote a post about "Why and How Capitalism Needs to be Reformed,"](https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/why-how-capitalism-needs-reformed-parts-1-2-ray-dalio/?published=t/) claiming that the outcomes of capitalism are no longer consistent with the system’s...+58 by CRE in OFF
- Associate in my mid-late twenties, my director is amazing - I just really like her. Maybe I'm telling you all because I can't tell anyone else.+58 by sadsoul90 in OFF
- I have been on this website for more than ten years and thought I would dish out a bit of advice.
####A bit of background:
I worked up to director level in trading, before going to get an MBA and changing industry to work in private equity. The exact same story repeated itself, so I thought...+54 by Disjoint in JOB
- I remember back when I was still a student, being intimidated by the idea of having to form "models" - despite my undergrad being in physics.
It turns out in finance, "modelling" just means dividing one excel cell by another, saying "yeah sure, that growth will...+54 by Leonardo-Cope in IB
- In a Bloomberg article last week, JP Morgan announced that it will begin using online behavioral science-based games to recruit college students.
[quote]"Beginning this year, the bank will be using the games, instead of in person campus recruiting and traditional college campus visits,...+44 by NovemberRain in JOB
- ***4/9 UPDATE: This is taking a little more time than I expected, and while I do appreciate and welcome all the questions, I will be a little less active on this starting tomorrow. Will still try to get to all questions though. Feel free to ask, comment and discuss though. Thanks all....+39 by monkeyking722 in IB
- Hoping to learn more about investment banks in Los Angeles. My current firm's only california presence is in San Francisco. I've done a bit of research and think I understand which banks are in LA, but it's hard to tell what groups are out there. Also hoping to know a little more...+33 by californiadreaming000 in IB
- I'm not far off into my career to have gone to one, but to those who have, how was it?
I'm assuming it's a lot of dudes flexing about their corporate success. Do you think that's a fair assessment?
To those with experience, any other insights? +30 by LeoSteel77 in OFF
- I'm a Physical Trader in the Asia region and look after a combined book of +1Mt for origination and sales of dry-bulk commodities. My background has been in some way or form of international trade, with 6+ years in operations before getting into a trading gig. I trade majority of dry bulk...+26 by UnfinishedSentenc in TR
- Hey all,
I was able to acquire a small managed service business a few months ago ~1M Revenue, 300k EBITDA almost all recurring revenue. I am looking to acquire another one in a different area ~3h flight away from where I am living now.
The deal is ~2M Revenue and ~500K EBITDA, with about...+22 by takenotes08 in PE
Upcoming EventsSee all
- Apr12WSO Paris Happy Hour: Fri 12 April, 8pm @ Bar des Halles2:00 EDT Online
- Apr15Free SC/PS videos on "GMAT PILL" mobile app (2 days only)!(All day) Online
- Apr16Podcast: Hustle -- Eric Bahn -- 4/1612:00 to 1:00 EDT Online