Investment Banking Rankings 2019

Found this on an old thread. I believe it’s fairly accurate already, especially at the WF / RBC tier. However maybe we can move some names around and arrive at a new 2019 ranking? Share your thoughts

A) The Dream Team:
1: Evercore, PJT (slight favorance to evercore)
1.5: GS, MS, Lazard, Moelis

B) Warriors:
2: JPM, Centerview, Greenhill, Perella Weinberg Partners
2.5: CS, BAML

___________C) Mega fund cut line___________
3: Barclays
3.5: DB, Citi, Houlihan, Jefferies
4: UBS, Roths of the world like Liontree
5: Wells Fargo, RBC,BMO

___________D) Don't even think about PE line___________

6: HSBC, Baird, Blair, Lazard MM, Stephens, That shit IB in Richmond can’t remember, MTS Health Partners, Stifel, KBW,Other no name boutiques, Regional bank IB like Key bank, Foreign banks with no deal flow like Mizuho/Nomura/SocGen

Most Helpful

Depends on what we're ranking. If the focus is strictly on perceived banker skill/prestige/dealflow I'd shift a number.

GS (probably also MS) up to tier 1

Lazard down to tier 2

Centerview up to Tier 1.5 (debatably tier 1 if just looking at M&A but I think their RX practice is less strong)

JPM up to tier 1.5 (Though towards the bottom of that grouping)

Greenhill down to tier 3 (tbh I haven't heard much about them recently, and I'm not sure if they're still struggling as much as they were a few years ago)

I'd move CS and BAML up to tier 2

Barclays, Citi, and Houlihan probably all in tier 2.5 (certain groups at Barclays and Citi that kill it)

RBC up to tier 3 or 3.5 (debatable but I think they're really growing and I expect them to have a better future than DB)

I'd be less sure of these shifts if we were basing things strictly off of exits, which the Megafund cut-off line in the initial post seems to imply.

Controversial

OP's ranking favors boutiques a bit.

1: GS, MS 1.5: Evercore, PJT, Centerview, JPM

2: Lazard, Moelis, PWP, BAML, CS 2.5: Greenhill, Citi, Barclays

3: DB, HL, Jefferies, Rothschild, Guggenheim 4: UBS, RBC, Wells

Group 2 might be slightly controversial, but I think the top BAML/CS groups could warrant them to be placed with Moelis/PWP. I think Lazard is the strongest in that group.

Certainly a big bump in rankings for Rothschild if you are talking EMEA. By far their strongest region, and within M&A they are a top performer compared to any of the banks in this ranking.

Having regional presence is foundamental in EMEA, because every market is different (and every language), so BBs have an obvious advantage (I.e: JPM is really strong in france and Italy). Despite are gaining ever more market share, places like CVP, PJT, EVR, PWP and MoCo almost don’t have local presence. Having said that, PJT is almost considered on par with tier 1 BBs (GS/MS/JPM) in terms of prestige and I believe slightly above JPM and MS even on an experience point of view (Analysts do both M&A and Rx). Other EBs, apart from LAZ, rank a bit below RTH, BAML, Citi and CS.

Where did everyone get such a hard on for PJT and even RSSG specifically? 1) Honestly think the "technical" learning that goes on at the analyst level on restructurings is overhyped, though at a high level the transactions may be fascinating 2) A lot of your clients are obsolete industrial shitcos 3) Exits are pretty niche

So, the group worked on Greece, GM, etc. and that's cool, but I'd love to know what PJT has first year analysts just back from their spring break trips to Mykonos doing for Greece. Probably not thrilling stuff tbh. Might be incredible to be an MD in this group, but I'd be curious to hear about an analyst's experience. Also, in so far as the exits... why's everyone want to do distressed debt? Not being sarcastic, just curious. Seriously though, why not just go to law school?

Distressed debt investors have the greatest ability to screw over other people. Just look at toys r us. Company could've continued running but the biggest debt holders hold all the power so they decided to vote to liquidate, putting thousands of employees out of work. The typical WSO user has been screwed over by jocks and popular kids their whole life, and now they want the opportunity to take some power back.

Fuckin my way thru nyc one chick at a time

BMO above Blair and Baird is just dumb.

Angel Checks provides background screening services for both Individuals and Corporate. We provide Pre – Employment Background Screening, Post Employment Background Screening, Business Screening.

Blair should be above BMO and Baird, as well as Wells Fargo. They are killing it, especially in Chicago where they are headquartered. I would take Blair over all three of those banks without a doubt

“If you ain’t first, you’re last!” - GOAT

Baird has great culture, consistently ranks in best places to work which is absurd for a bank. But Blair is now cracking $1B deals, fairly often in their S&I group (services and industrials), and their consumer team is on a tear. Both banks recruit heavily at my school due to alumni connections and Baird is a tier below a Blair offers. Even if you look out West, recently spoke to an alumni at BMO there who told me how Blair came out of nowhere and is now beating out the competitors there consistently on mandates

BMO is nowhere near the level Blair is in Chicago, and even out West is getting beat pretty often. Would put on the same level as Baird

(My viewpoint comes from speaking with numerous alumni including analysts through MDs at two of the banks, and associates / VPs at the third)

“If you ain’t first, you’re last!” - GOAT

This is hilariously inaccurate - especially w/r/t the middle market banks. I guess that's what you get from a "prospective" or "incoming."

Stick to the grind young lads - you'll get there.

Baird and especially Blair can most definitely think about PE. No way BMO is above them as others have said, not in this lifetime. I'd bump GS/MS up to 1, Centerview and JPM to 1.5. CS/BAML can be bumped to 2. I'd also group Guggenheim/Barclays/Citi in group 3. Guggs is getting better and Barclays/Citi have good exits depending on the group (from what I've heard). I'd put Allen with Jefferies. Also Qatalyst deserves to be on there, but I don't know enough to say exactly where.

Some other nits--Houlihan is really only strong in restructuring from what I can tell, so that ranking is kinda group dependent. Greenhill might need to come down since I don't know if they do as much as they used to.

Editing to put Centerview up to a firm group 1 ranking with Evercore, would put Centerview above PJT.

Dayman?

Unde accusantium aliquid maiores molestiae quibusdam laboriosam. Accusamus autem quis suscipit sint nihil et. Corrupti neque assumenda non.

Officia distinctio perferendis laboriosam corrupti autem. Eos eum ex et iste. Voluptatem repudiandae possimus minus nulla id. Alias sunt quisquam et mollitia itaque ducimus autem.

Quis est a tempore quibusdam incidunt non architecto nemo. Minus esse id eum odio in ducimus est.

Rerum dolorum facere id in quaerat. Eos laboriosam saepe est qui. Consectetur cumque beatae rerum consequatur. Consequatur temporibus blanditiis soluta veritatis repellat quis quibusdam.

Ut tempore eum numquam officiis iure a porro nesciunt. Quasi et quae recusandae illo error voluptatem.

Commodi assumenda in est fugit quaerat perferendis dolores. Dolores ipsa cum ducimus expedita ea. Dolorum voluptas necessitatibus quia aut. Voluptates quia fuga non maiores fugit minus dolores.

Debitis repudiandae odio assumenda et placeat est assumenda. Pariatur quidem dolorem totam aut fugit quasi sed. Placeat aut corrupti qui ut quia ea culpa.

Deleniti velit dolorem aut eos omnis perferendis iure. Rem iste fuga et consequatur.

Corporis nemo velit non temporibus eum. Ut adipisci perferendis dolores molestiae ipsum. Ad consectetur consequuntur quo. Ratione qui enim aut autem.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
numi's picture
numi
Kenny_Powers_CFA's picture
Kenny_Powers_CFA
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”