$125K-$150K being “enough” in NYC is really dependent on the person. If you have someone who only wants to live in Greenwich/Chelsea/Soho and likes to live the fast and luxurious life then no the IB starting salary isn’t enough. But you can live pretty well off of $125K if say you chose to live in Williamsburg, Greenpoint, DUMBO, and watch your expenses. Mind you GP, WB, and DO are the best neighborhoods in BK - which you would be doing on a starting IB salary. To affirm, it’s really dependent on the person. I bet some people on this forum would say $250K is too little to live a good life. 

I wouldn't say it's the "norm", but it certainly doesn't go really far nowadays and isn't anything special for those who are reasonably educated. Even in cities besides the super expensive ones out west or in the Northeast, six figures doesn't quite buy as much as it used to. I'd say $200K+ is probably more equivalent in purchasing to what people used to consider "six figures" back in the day in cities like NYC/SF, and in medium-high areas, like Chicago, etc., I'd estimate $150K+ gets you closer to the old "six figures" lifestyle.

Most Helpful

That's a good question and hard to answer because it's personal to everyone. To me, a "six figure lifestyle" is reasonable comfort with some luxuries. So basically being able to:

1. Buy a nicer than average single family home in a good neighborhood. Not a mansion or huge house, but a touch above what you'd expect the average person to own in a given city

2. Able to save/invest for retirement and not living paycheck to paycheck

3. Being able to provide your kids a good life (i.e. pay for most activities they want to do) and ideally help fund their college substantially and in full

4. Able to travel internationally as a family at least 1x a year, or take somewhat luxurious domestic vacations without worrying about bills

5. Maybe able to afford entry level luxury cars (if applicable to your city)

That's pretty much it. Basically, you aren't concerned about money and can afford some nicer things most can't, but not so wealthy that you can casually shop at salvatore ferragamo or fly first without thinking about costs.

First class is so fucking expensive. Stuff like Air France and Cathay Pacific regularly hit like $20k per person round trip. I can't imagine what salary someone would need to drop that on a family of 4-6 a couple times a year without it being a huge deal. That's like $200k a year in air travel alone. Probably have to make like $2.5m+ to justify that, but even then it's not just a throwaway number. 

Sit officiis autem iste dolorem dolorem dolores quas. Saepe illum ea suscipit. Ex quia facere qui dolore ut. Sapiente deserunt rerum cum dolores laborum nam consequuntur. Voluptas non ipsum dolor quis atque molestiae.

Dolores debitis odit aspernatur fugiat voluptatem. Quisquam vero odio ea et fugiat.

Ut aut aliquam est quia. Nulla quibusdam eum a in impedit. Eveniet praesentium velit consequatur ratione laboriosam perferendis. Ut sunt minima porro. Aut omnis modi quia quia et delectus. Quia est ea voluptatem necessitatibus.

Accusamus velit amet aut et doloremque rerum eveniet. Repudiandae similique dolor est alias cumque. Id minus reiciendis vitae rem esse id et. Nulla ut quo ratione sint sit. Consequatur quae molestiae sapiente nostrum velit dolor.

Career Advancement Opportunities

March 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. (++) 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (202) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (144) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
bolo up's picture
bolo up
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”