Is EY-Parthenon losing its prestige and brand?

Hey guys, I recently saw a thread where they said EY advisory was merging w Parthenon. Does that mean that Parthenon is losing its brand and will just be absorbed into EY? If that's the case, would Strategy& be the firm to target within the B4 Strategy shops? Thanks in advance

This. I went to MBB, but still recruited with everyone, including these firms.

The truth is you're the weak. And I'm the tyranny of evil men. But I'm tryin', Ringo. I'm tryin' real hard to be the shepherd.

Most Helpful

I work at S& and have plenty of friends at EY-P. I've always maintained that Deloitte (formerly S&O), S& and EY-P are of roughly similar prestige. Obviously, the EY-P folks and Deloitte folks are not happy with the new re-orgs as is the case with S& whenever PwC tries to get in our chili. While these types of moves can be unpopular internally, they really have very little impact on external prestige and exit ops.

People on online forums severely overestimate how much corporate (F500) recruiters know about the inside baseball of what is going on in these firms. Most knowledge seems to end at "S& is the strategy consulting arm of PwC" and then they look at the projects you've done personally.

I think there is no right choice between S&, Deloitte and Parthenon. I can make a pretty good case for S& based on our focus on true strategy work and higher comp (as far as I know)... but we've certainly had our problems in the past as well (which were well-documented on here).

The decision of integrating M&A and Restructuring teams under the brand is quite in line with the general trend (e.g. S& Deals which is also a collaboration between S& and PwC). Whether this will lead to a prestige dilution and potentially significant internal culture clashes is hard to tell at the moment as it happened only recently.

Regarding London and ME - S&'s London office is arguably even weaker, as Booz has never been very strong there and the office has been completely absorbed by PwC almost immediately. In the ME - Parthenon is actually just being built now almost from scratch, while S& is struggling with its size since COVID (promotions frozen, people counselled out at a high rate)

In Europe S& benchmarks higher with exit opportunities than EY-P and (less so) S&O. Not because of the Booz background, though. Seen as Strategy arm of PwC.

Commercial DD work is done by PwC Deal Strategy - in London (in practice, marketed different) this sits separately from S&, although you still do strategy work on top of deal work. However, in continental Europe this split does not exist (only a London thing).

Beyond this PwC is further integrating value creation and post-deal work into the S&/Strategy umbrella, which makes for slightly more diverse/interesting deal work. That said, this is less relevant for pure S& placements. Bear in mind that outbound placements will NOT know the difference generally between PwC Deal Strategy, S&, or other variations of this. However, S& is placed more with LEK/OC&C/Roland Berger, than the other big4 Strategy arms in many instances, I found from experience.

As investors we've never gone to EY-P, requested pitches from Deloitte (good healthcare strat partner in this particular local office), but have used KPMG S&O and PwC S&. in UK transactions/strategy, PwC S& Deals has a good league table position vs. others, but can vary by sector (e.g. quite impressed with EY Finance team, especially on fintech).

Not sure how this compares vs. US though.

LBO-modeling companies on a Corona-adjusted normalized proforma run-rate EBITDA basis since 2020.

I'm not in consulting, but one of my best friends left his firm to join Parthenon a little over a year ago and is not too happy with his decision. I'd have to ask him to find out exactly what he is displeased with but overall he is not nearly as optimistic about his job/work than he used to be, and I imagine this is a factor of some of the stuff said above.

Dayman?

Heard Parthenon integration with EY isn’t going well - understandably given pay and culture differences - it just wont work. Anyone know how AT Kearney and LEK boys are faring during covid?

Any lay offs yet? Wonder how they're doing in Aus / Asia also

The new reorg is slightly strange so maybe I can help shed some light on it (at a boutique interviewing with legacy OTS)

Previously EY-P, OTS and Restructuring were three sub services lines held under transaction advisory services. With the reorg they are all still separate however they are held under the name "EY-Parthenon" OTS is now called "EY-Parthenon transaction strategy and execution" Whilst legacy P / Restructuring are called " EY-Parthenon xxx". The strategy team of the old advisory division (about 50 odd people) are moving into the legacy P part of EY parthenon

I would say this is likely false. As with any depth, there will be a bit of friction at the start from both internal members and outside uncertainty, but the EY-P reorg has already been tested and tried at peer firms such as Deloitte, that broke apart its S&O and integrated into the Deloitte brand. For them, it has clearly had little impact on prestige, so I doubt it will on EY-P either. EY-P has a very strong brand name and it is unlikely to lose its prestige.

How is it tried and tested at Deloitte? I thought their change was very recent (maybe even less than a year)?

Can we revive this thread? I have an offer from Strategy& Deals in London and have been approached by many recruiters for a position at EY-P. I'm actually not keen to go through another interview process for EY-P as I believe the differences between S& and EY-P are going to be fairly marginal in the UK. I read in some threads that the EY-P brand has a considerably better reputation in the UK than S& and therefore offers better exit opportunities - would anyone agree with that?

Tbh I'd say the other way round.... Shows how subjective these things are 

Their brands tend to be relatively comparable no matter what region and any differences in reputation and exit opportunities will be marginal. If you already have the S& offer and don't want to go into the interview process again, then take S& unless there are any major discrepancies in office culture that concern you.

Agree with the above replies that the difference between S& and EY-P in London is marginal. Especially when comparing S& Deals, both are great shops with excellent PE DD practices alongside L.E.K.. Having gone through the interview process for both firms, I would add that if you have an interest in TMT PE DD/Growth Strategy, S& (from its Booz acquisition) is top notch and if you're interested in restructuring work, EY-P definitely takes the cake. Additionally, EY-P juniors seem to clock in more hours but this is only based on comparing the 7 peeps I spoke with at EY-P and 8 at S&. I also spoke with Manager-level folks at both firms and noticed S& has better placement into HSW for b-school if that matters to you (I confirmed this through some LinkedIn digging). Consulting salary and bonuses in London is comparable at graduate level across MBB and T2s (I've heard Deloitte had a recent change with the re-org, so no more Monitor premium).

I'm late to this party, but mentioning it here since this thread pops up every time someone checks on EY-P. I have several very close friends (including my flatmate) who worked there and yes - the brand has been diluted enormously. There have been multiple attempts are restructuring and reorganizing the firm (TAS, S&O, a bunch of other acronyms) but none of this has actually borne fruit. The old EY-Parthenon was a solid boutique consulting practice, with some level of prestige. Think of the new EY-Parthenon as being built out of the regular consulting practices of your KPMGs, Deloittes and PwCs, and definitely a far throw from the MBBs, and even the tier 2s (where it once had a shout as being part of the gang)

Soluta voluptates aut iusto ut sed error ut. Eum neque et sequi tenetur et officiis. Ut amet aut distinctio aut.

Nam nesciunt vitae quia sed. Reiciendis aut cumque aut dolorem debitis. Aut rem repellendus ipsum dignissimos.

Fugiat enim aliquid eum aliquam autem rerum et. Doloribus eos et veniam et natus porro optio adipisci. Voluptate earum voluptatem quos eaque vel sunt quas. Totam perferendis est quia soluta in aut enim sit. Dolorem est occaecati ipsa illo. Nobis necessitatibus vel vel aut modi. Sit eius illum dicta consequatur laudantium est rerum animi.

Alias voluptatem perspiciatis quia porro. Voluptatum officiis quaerat et consequatur magni a distinctio. Ut esse distinctio impedit voluptatem cumque illo.

Ut est rem aut earum veniam et harum. Eveniet odio sequi ipsa. Consectetur qui exercitationem atque qui iure. Reprehenderit nesciunt reprehenderit doloremque est consequatur quae.

Aliquam sit rerum dolorem voluptatum. Quibusdam assumenda est modi labore accusamus reiciendis possimus quia. Reprehenderit et eius assumenda ut ut ab. Magnam voluptatem delectus voluptatem.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Consulting

• Bain & Company 99.4%
  • McKinsey and Co 98.9%
  • Boston Consulting Group (BCG) 98.3%
  • Oliver Wyman 97.7%
  • LEK Consulting 97.2%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

April 2024 Consulting

• Bain & Company 99.4%
  • Cornerstone Research 98.9%
  • McKinsey and Co 97.7%
  • Oliver Wyman 97.2%

Professional Growth Opportunities

April 2024 Consulting

• Bain & Company 99.4%
  • McKinsey and Co 98.9%
  • Oliver Wyman 97.7%
  • LEK Consulting 97.2%

Total Avg Compensation

April 2024 Consulting

• Partner (4) $368
  • Principal (25) $277
  • Director/MD (55) $270
  • Vice President (47) $246
  • Engagement Manager (100) $226
  • Manager (152) $170
  • 2nd Year Associate (158) $140
  • Senior Consultant (331) $130
  • 3rd+ Year Associate (108) $130
  • Consultant (587) $119
  • 1st Year Associate (538) $119
  • NA (15) $119
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (146) $115
  • Engineer (6) $114
  • 2nd Year Analyst (344) $103
  • Associate Consultant (166) $98
  • 1st Year Analyst (1048) $87
  • Intern/Summer Associate (188) $84
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (552) $67
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
kanon's picture
kanon
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
numi's picture
numi
Kenny_Powers_CFA's picture
Kenny_Powers_CFA
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”