I'm currently London-based and playing with the idea of relocating to Geneva to take a private equity position. Could anyone please elaborate on pros and cons (work-, compensation-, lifestyle-wise) of working in Geneva?
What's It Like Living in Geneva?
Deciding to relocate from London to Geneva involves many personal and career considerations. In general, Geneva is a nice place to live and it ranks quite highly on many quality of life indices (ex: OECD Better Life Index shown in image above). However, your experience may depend on what you are looking for in a city. Below, WSO community members share their opinions.
Pros of Living in Geneva
- Good place to live and dine
- Centrally located to easily reach other parts of Europe
- Pay less taxes than in London
- Nice outdoor activities
- Known for PE, hedge fund and wealth management industries
- Home to many international institutions
Cons of Living in Geneva
- Smaller nightlife vs London
- Might be hard to get work permit
- May be difficult to integrate with the Swiss
Other Considerations When Relocating to Geneva
- Very career/self-oriented
- Francophone city
- Slower pace of life than London