Is Melvin Capital Done For?

Idk how many of you have been following, but GME might be the biggest short squeeze since Tesla. Yesterday, there was an epic gamma squeeze because MMs sold 60 0dte calls (up over 20,000% at one point), which might only be the beginning. Now, the short float right now is absolutely insane, and I know that Melvin Capital is down something like 15% already from this bet (or a combination of this and other positions). Literally every single call option Friday expired ITM, so it appears that brokerages will be offering 115 1/29 calls at Monday's open. Given how much retail loves risk, I cannot imagine that this will not eventually happen again, especially because MMs can't be caught with their pants down selling 115 naked calls. And then with the gamma squeeze initiated, that will trigger the inevitable short squeeze that has been building. There might even be a 1% chance this causes a credit crisis due to some MM blowing up and spreading across the entire industry. Either that or just the fact that millions of WSB retards will be buying shares at Monday's open might send this to the moon. My apologies for turning WSO into WSB, but I thought this was very interesting and we are in for a crazy week ahead. Thoughts? Are bears doomed?

This is going to be one of the most legendary profile hedge fund failures of all time and we're literally on "Wall Street Oasis." If anything this is the MOST appropriate place to be discussing this lol

"The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than cowardly" - Robert A. Wilson | "If you don't have any enemies in life you have never stood up for anything" - Winston Churchill | "It's a testament to the sheer belligerence of the profession that people would rather argue about the 'risk-adjusted returns' of using inferior tooth cleaning methods." - kellycriterion

I have an old professor who is personal friends with Gabriel and brought him in for several lectures during the semester. I'm tempted to reach out and ask how he's doing, but also low key gloat that his genius friend's epic failure has made me a multi-millionaire...

Most Helpful

From Wizard of Soho on Instagram...

"For years and years CNBC let hedge fund managers come on their talk shows and pump up their books and make retail guys buy their stocks then dump on them. Hedge funds manipulate prices all the fucking time. For the first time in history... the regular retail investor has the balls of hedge funds by the hands squeezed up and CNBC and all their moderators are calling it stock manipulation and making every retail investor look bad and vilifying an entire community because their hedge fund daddies who come on their show are about to lose it all. Fuck you CNN. Melvin Capital got a 2.5 bn bailout injection a few days ago. What happens when the retail trader lost everything in 2008 or March 2020 or in regular trades everyday. Who came and put money in your bank account. Nobody. No fucking body. Fuck you Jim Cramer and Andrew Sorkin for putting down the retail guy who is putting his life on the line for some hedge fund fuckers who did not hold their fiduciary responsibility and now you are willing to plant fake stories to manipulate prices for them. You should be put in jail and have your money gone."

"We ride to fucking Valhalla on the tears of Melvin Capital and Cohen"

*edited for full quote

They will lose out on bonuses this year, but they all made tons of money in previous years taking on the same bets without any sense of risk management. Anyone below PM will have no issue finding a new job (I've seen this play out many times before with peers whose funds have blown up). PMs...who knows, but maybe they will learn a valuable lesson on the importance of risk management

lol you think a hedge fund with 12 billion AUM can lose 6 billion + and "be fine"?? investors will pull out all their money, Gabriel will be known as a joke in the investing world, and not to mention the hedge fund has already gone bankrupt. in terms of individual net worth, yes they'll be ok, but Gabriels career will never fully recover from this

Good point and realizing now that I should've clarified - Melvin Capital probably won't be ok, but most of the employees there are fine. They'll get new jobs in short order. This happens all the time and it's only the PMs who take on way too much risk that have trouble getting back on track.

Gabe may not recover simply because he doesn't know anything about risk management. If he did, he wouldn't have held onto the position for that long. He'll be known as a joke because the call he made on this stock tells the whole story. Of course, he'll still be rich because he has gotten away with taking on this type of risk for so long. Maybe there's a lesson in there...

Again, it's not his money, it's other people's money. None of these guys/gals will see any meaningful decline in their own bank accounts. That's why they are "fine." It's the pension funds that trusted this idiot that are seeing real losses.

Nobis blanditiis sunt animi voluptate eaque perferendis neque. Sunt alias iusto ut id officiis dolore maiores. Consequuntur et cupiditate dolore esse exercitationem ratione laborum molestiae. Maxime enim et ipsa.

A alias ut repudiandae error. Fuga non saepe explicabo quia. Nostrum est aut est at qui qui.

Est placeat ut doloribus enim iure. Ut et hic labore eum blanditiis et et.

Minima dolor sit eos beatae excepturi voluptates sint sunt. Reprehenderit molestiae vel ut tempore voluptas. Velit illum hic sit aut vel quos.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
bolo up's picture
bolo up
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”