Is Tulane Worth $120K?

My passion is trading so I'm hoping for a career in S&T. I've been accepted to Tulane with a nice scholarship, but I'll still probably end up with around $120K cost. From what I've found, it seems Tulane places well into Houston energy trading, but does that go for undergrad as well? The other main option is going to state school for very low cost and perhaps transferring. Money IS a factor, but it's not the highest concern.

Best Response

Well think about it this way unless you have scholarships at oregon, which i'd image you do. It would be about 20k a year = 80k after 4 years at Oregon. Tulane is 120k that is a 40k difference, and that diffrence might be obsolete if you can get the job you want easier from one school more so than the other. That 40k difference could have less of an impact if you are willing to work during the school year, and get better summer internships.

From what I understand Tulane places very well into energy trading. If that is your goal Tulane will probably get you close there than Oregon. You have to take more than these things into consideration, no one here knows you financial situation or you personality more than you do.

Thanks for your advice Sham Wow. But at U of O, I'll likely get the Presidential and Summit scholarship bringing the four year total to $24K. Blackrainn, I've been accepted to:

-University of Oregon -Tulane -University of Denver -Carrol College -University of Portland

Rejected: -UPenn

Applied: -Northwestern -Carnegie Mellon -American University

Considering applying to: -Rice

Go to Tulane, accrue some debt, work your ass off, be extremely competitive by the time Jr. year rolls around (have a relevant internship for S&T, have a solid GPA, do not change your mind in regards to your career path), and spread some magic all over those on-campus S&T recruiters. BOOM, there ya go!

If you want Energy, go for Rice, work your a** off on that application. I have met many people from Rice here that work in the industry. The school is in a prime location, which means you can network much better as well.

Array

I'm not sure what field of trading I'll prefer, as my experience is limited to my personal trading account and a bit of research. But yes, from what I've found it seems that Tulane places well into energy trading, and I can't imagine why I would dislike energy trading.

After graduation, I'd like to get some work experience, which is why career placement is so important to me.

Matthias:
4 years of college for 24k? Be a standout at Oregon and with preparation you should be able to get something. Going to a target basically makes up for being unprepared and not hustling during recruiting.

120k loan. 10 year payback @ 6% interest. Enjoy that $1300/month loan payment.

You can always re-fi. Or win the lottery.

"Come at me, bro"- José de Palafox y Melci

Deleniti et eos dolores. Laudantium error rerum rem aut. Quia sunt optio voluptatem nobis minus distinctio ut. Eos dolores vel error.

Est doloribus sequi atque qui illo. Eius quis quo voluptatem dicta. Rerum ratione unde laborum rem eaque qui.

Quis voluptatem nisi rerum et dolor sed ut. Sit sit corrupti quos ut ipsa ea ipsa. Aut corporis sunt enim et aut.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
numi's picture
numi
Kenny_Powers_CFA's picture
Kenny_Powers_CFA
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”