Funniest

Dude, you posted asking what exact questions to ask in a networking call when there are maybe 1000+ posts covering networking and you're also a prospect, so what gives you the right to shit on someone else for asking a valid question? 

Don't post on here if it doesn't add any value, keep your mouth shut cause you also don't know anything. 

Both of you twats sound like kids fighting to relax, anyone can post anything. To OP Jefferies is a Goodshop for healthcare and M&A, bad culture, and but its hard to go into an MF from jeff. and if you are a SA'22 intern last thing you should be worried about is PE exits.

Most Helpful

Full disclosure: I work at Jefferies, and these are my views. People are open to disagree with it. This is based on my experience.

I think Jefferies has an extremely scrappy culture where the juniors are really nice and close-knit (obviously depends on the group, but generally would say this is true). All the juniors get worked very hard and I think this is a combination of two factors. The first one is the deal flow. If you look at the Deal logic YTD league tables, it's ranked 9th globally (86 deals, $0.83 Billion avg. val/deal, EVR being the only other non-BB in top 10) in M&A advising. It’s also 8th globally in ECM and if you look at overall IB revenue it's ranked 8th (ahead of UBS and DB, and the only non-BB in the top 10). For FY 2020, it was ranked 9th overall in IB revenue. The second factor is the seniors. Many of the folks I talked to said that there are times when they are sitting around doing nothing in the day and then they get comments in the night that makes them pull all-nighters. This obviously makes it difficult as an analyst but in non-covid times, the junior camaraderie helps survive the late-night pls fixes. In my opinion, whilst the first factor is more significant, this is not negligible. Unlike other banks which are downsizing their IB divisions, Jefferies will live and die on its IB business. Having said that, Over the past couple of years the bank has gathered great momentum and it’s expected to carry this momentum in the future.

It’s difficult to categorize Jefferies because it works on deals that are much bigger than your run of the mill MM but is not at a BB level (although a couple of groups definitely regularly pitch against BBs and win) but also has a balance sheet that it uses to lend (has access to the MassMutual balance sheet), so is also unlike an EB (even though it has a RX group). I would personally categorize it as a jack of all trades bank that offers a complete set of products. Some of the top groups at Jefferies would be Healthcare, Energy, LevFin and Industrials. Healthcare grew when Jefferies poached UBS’s top bankers who brought over their teams. While the two key guys (Ben Lorello and Sage Kelly) have since left Jefferies, with Ben retiring in 2020, the team at Jefferies has managed to keep the IB revenues in the group. JEF’s energy group was formed when it bought an energy boutique in the 2000s and has kept the key guys ever since then (part of the reason behind this is that they have their own bonus pool separate from the rest of IB). Jefferies has organically developed its LevFin capabilities and has found a great niche here. It offers a crazy amount of leverage on its deals which the BBs can’t offer because of risk and regulation (Jefferies isn’t categorized as a bank holding company) and neither can the EBs/MMs. In 2021, Jefferies also poached a majority of Greenhill’s industry-leading private capital advisory group so I am interested in seeing how that will turn out for the bank.

From an exits point of view, I have seen some people place at MF from Energy and a couple of other groups. It is definitely possible to exit to very reputable MM PE funds. I personally expect the exits to improve as Jefferies continues its upward rise. Would also add Jefferies M&A to a group that sees consistent exits to top MM PE shops.

From a pay point of view, Jefferies is known to pay above the street, especially for associates and up. They also give all cash bonuses although there is a clawback for those who are associates and up if you leave for a competing bank (not applicable for buy-side, CorpDev, unrelated exits). The clawback isn’t applicable to analysts.

Expect the interview process to be more technical than BBs/MMs but not as technical as the EBs. Expect an even more technical and in-depth interview process if you are interviewing for one of the direct placement groups.

Let me know if I can answer any other questions.

Edit: Also wanted to address the FT offer rates from the previous summer. People might be under the impression that Jefferies gave out 50% or so offers. While it is true that Jefferies gave out 50% offers at the conclusion of the internship, it came back and gave more offers within a month that brought the rate up to about 90-95% which was where Jefferies has historically been. The only reason it was able to give only 50% offers at the beginning was because of a hiring freeze that we were under. If you get an SA offer from Jefferies there will be a FT spot with your name on it unless you screw up. 

TL;DR: Great bank from a deal flow perspective (top 10 league tables ovr.), Solid junior culture but tough senior culture. Will get you to solid MM PE with a slight chance of MF PE depending on group. Top groups: Healthcare, Energy, LevFin, M&A, Industrials. At/above street pay depending on the level (also gives WFH dinner stipend, handed out peloton bikes etc.). Technical interview process.

Really appreciate the in-depth response... Could you possibly expand on the interview process? Is focusing on the basic sections of the M&I guide enough for technicals or would a deeper dive be required? If so what topics should be covered? What would be the best way to demonstrate a cultural fit at Jefferies?

Thanks for the write up. Do you know when they will be holding 22 SA interviews? I’ve emailed 7 analysts and haven’t gotten any bites yet so I hope I haven’t closed myself out of the process.

Thanks again!

I have actually been told that the apps. come out in the next week or so and that at least some cities will start interviews mid-April. Last year also the interviews kicked off at the similar time but then because of COVID Jefferies went under a hiring freeze which meant all the interviews for the rest of the spots took place in September / October. This year I presume recruiting will spring back to the pre-covid timeline given how accelerated some of the other banks are going to be. 

Like what Intern in IB - Gen has mentioned, you get hired as a generalist for the internship and then get placed into groups at the end of the internship.

Full disclosure: I work at Jefferies, and these are my views. People are open to disagree with it. This is based on my experience.

I think Jefferies has an extremely scrappy culture where the juniors are really nice and close-knit (obviously depends on the group, but generally would say this is true). All the juniors get worked very hard and I think this is a combination of two factors. The first one is the deal flow. If you look at the Deal logic YTD league tables, it's ranked 9th globally (86 deals, $0.83 Billion avg. val/deal, EVR being the only other non-BB in top 10) in M&A advising. It's also 8th globally in ECM and if you look at overall IB revenue it's ranked 8th (ahead of UBS and DB, and the only non-BB in the top 10). For FY 2020, it was ranked 9th overall in IB revenue. The second factor is the seniors. Many of the folks I talked to said that there are times when they are sitting around doing nothing in the day and then they get comments in the night that makes them pull all-nighters. This obviously makes it difficult as an analyst but in non-covid times, the junior camaraderie helps survive the late-night pls fixes. In my opinion, whilst the first factor is more significant, this is not negligible. Unlike other banks which are downsizing their IB divisions, Jefferies will live and die on its IB business. Having said that, Over the past couple of years the bank has gathered great momentum and it's expected to carry this momentum in the future.

It's difficult to categorize Jefferies because it works on deals that are much bigger than your run of the mill MM but is not at a BB level (although a couple of groups definitely regularly pitch against BBs and win) but also has a balance sheet that it uses to lend (has access to the MassMutual balance sheet), so is also unlike an EB (even though it has a RX group). I would personally categorize it as a jack of all trades bank that offers a complete set of products. Some of the top groups at Jefferies would be Healthcare, Energy, LevFin and Industrials. Healthcare grew when Jefferies poached UBS's top bankers who brought over their teams. While the two key guys (Ben Lorello and Sage Kelly) have since left Jefferies, with Ben retiring in 2020, the team at Jefferies has managed to keep the IB revenues in the group. JEF's energy group was formed when it bought an energy boutique in the 2000s and has kept the key guys ever since then (part of the reason behind this is that they have their own bonus pool separate from the rest of IB). Jefferies has organically developed its LevFin capabilities and has found a great niche here. It offers a crazy amount of leverage on its deals which the BBs can't offer because of risk and regulation (Jefferies isn't categorized as a bank holding company) and neither can the EBs/MMs. In 2021, Jefferies also poached a majority of Greenhill's industry-leading private capital advisory group so I am interested in seeing how that will turn out for the bank.

From an exits point of view, I have seen some people place at MF from Energy and a couple of other groups. It is definitely possible to exit to very reputable MM PE funds. I personally expect the exits to improve as Jefferies continues its upward rise. Would also add Jefferies M&A to a group that sees consistent exits to top MM PE shops.

From a pay point of view, Jefferies is known to pay above the street, especially for associates and up. They also give all cash bonuses although there is a clawback for those who are associates and up if you leave for a competing bank (not applicable for buy-side, CorpDev, unrelated exits). The clawback isn't applicable to analysts.

Expect the interview process to be more technical than BBs/MMs but not as technical as the EBs. Expect an even more technical and in-depth interview process if you are interviewing for one of the direct placement groups.

Let me know if I can answer any other questions.

Edit: Also wanted to address the FT offer rates from the previous summer. People might be under the impression that Jefferies gave out 50% or so offers. While it is true that Jefferies gave out 50% offers at the conclusion of the internship, it came back and gave more offers within a month that brought the rate up to about 90-95% which was where Jefferies has historically been. The only reason it was able to give only 50% offers at the beginning was because of a hiring freeze that we were under. If you get an SA offer from Jefferies there will be a FT spot with your name on it unless you screw up. 

TL;DR: Great bank from a deal flow perspective (top 10 league tables ovr.), Solid junior culture but tough senior culture. Will get you to solid MM PE with a slight chance of MF PE depending on group. Top groups: Healthcare, Energy, LevFin, M&A, Industrials. At/above street pay depending on the level (also gives WFH dinner stipend, handed out peloton bikes etc.). Technical interview process.

I worked at JEF for 5 years before leaving banking. and would say this is accurate. It's a love or hate place, but regularly competing with BBs and EBs in some groups.  

You can rotate through tech as a part of the NY generalist program. They typically do not offer summer analysts the full summer in a single group in NY. SF is the best option if tech is the only group you are interested in. 

Regularly compete with BB/EBs: Energy, Healthcare

Solid: Industrials, Tech (hit or miss)

Decent: Consumer, FIG, Tech-Enabled Services, REGL (you get to work on all the Tilman Fertitta deals)

Arguably not even investment bankers: Media

Lev Fin and M&A are also top groups. 

By late summer do you mean July or August? I know it's kind of stupid, but would be helpful to know

I heard back from SF. I had been talking to a school alumni since I had another exploding offer and they took forever to even respond to me about the super day. I ended up getting a response on the day I had to make a decision on the other bank saying that they had just given out their last offer and they were likely to accept. Nothing since then (about 10 days ago)

I also sent follow up emails to my interviewers as well as emails letting the VP know about my deadline and never heard back from any of them. Probably wouldn’t have even gotten a rejection unless I was persistent and asking since I had another deadline.

Wait? You had a second round on Wednesday? I haven't yet to hear back from my first round. I guess I am dinged then... I thought I did really well

I think I mentioned this earlier in the thread but I know someone who went through the process last year at a target school and he didn’t hear back from his first round for a week and a half

I ended getting dinged, but some at my target have received offers

Not yet. Most recent analyst I spoke to said they THINK it'll go back to normal on-grounds recruiting, so if thats true our first rounds won't take place until like August. That was just his guess tho, all the analysts I have spoken to don't know the exact timeline for UVA recruiting

Did you hear anything yet? I haven’t heard shit, so I assume I didn’t make the first round cut.

Prolly was a mass email considering the to address was blank, which means it's sent to multiple people. I don't know if you're out maybe they'll have other waves. Just keep plugging along bro and trust the process. Talked to you on the KeyBanc thread and know how it feels when other people move on and you don't but just stay patient. The best is yet to come

Bump. I've heard they usually like to do technicals first round and then mostly behavioral SD. Did you also get the first round invite an hour ago?

Referral by an analyst or someone senior, also how many referrals

had a referral from a senior banker (he told me)

I don't know if the juniors I spoke to referred me but our coffee chats went well

DO you know if they will do another round i had someone recommend me but I never got a first round

At least ADG finished ages ago, not sure about the other groups.

Has anyone who got the first round invite on Wednesday gotten their actual interview time slot? Still haven't gotten contacted yet by a banker to set up a time.

my contact told me that its on a rolling basis, so maybe there's hope idk

Sup fellas! Wanted to add a data point and hopefully calm some nerves. I just got reached out to to schedule a first round and did not get the mass email sent out last week. Nontarget nondiversity with referrals. Definitely don't lose hope if you haven't heard back yet!

Anyone who 1st round mass invite last Wednesday still not get their interview scheduled yet from a banker? Not sure if I should get worried

Quae alias vitae laborum aliquam. Aperiam distinctio reiciendis delectus eligendi. Totam quis occaecati eaque enim sit est nihil. Corporis molestiae ea saepe minima et nam. Et rerum laudantium quae aut. Sit ut sapiente qui aliquid eaque earum veritatis.

Harum dignissimos eveniet temporibus sint. Doloribus saepe qui est et ut. Vero quas illo rerum. Et velit inventore itaque sit quo. Sint placeat porro animi nobis.

Pariatur voluptatem dicta consequatur ut dolores. Placeat perferendis fugit deserunt tempora et. In voluptatem ex dolores iusto eos voluptatem. Ut ipsum neque ut cum. Quia ut quia tempore eos. Enim dolores quasi non natus.

Repudiandae magnam temporibus quidem dolore quibusdam ratione dignissimos qui. Nemo exercitationem eveniet aut dolores laudantium amet aspernatur. Ipsam aut nesciunt non vel quia neque sit. Facere nesciunt iure aut est animi aut.

Maiores et et magni quae dolorum nobis nihil. Odio ipsa fugiat sapiente deserunt.

Illum repudiandae qui modi laborum sunt cupiditate provident. Distinctio qui ratione consectetur velit voluptatem optio inventore quia.

Ut sit occaecati assumenda voluptas nobis ipsam cumque. Consequuntur perspiciatis voluptates libero debitis corrupti non et. Id excepturi quidem id quo voluptatem qui. Quo est quis error dolorum.

Tenetur sed quo sunt harum quia totam. Soluta qui reiciendis nulla tenetur quis quod. Fugit ut quam voluptas pariatur facere. Quis voluptatem illo corporis ipsa quos et. Dolor delectus ex ad blanditiis. Et laborum incidunt vitae.

Nesciunt deserunt illum illum velit quae. Dolor voluptatem corporis qui quam dolore nihil earum ratione. Et tempora assumenda dolores maxime eos. Maiores architecto nostrum dolorum nostrum necessitatibus inventore quidem. Quod odit voluptatem eius consequatur illo atque asperiores suscipit.

Dolores cupiditate qui voluptas voluptate at suscipit. Dolore deserunt itaque saepe consequatur numquam. Enim quia ea harum.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
bolo up's picture
bolo up
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”