Jefferies in 2021 and Beyond

Hey all! Incoming SA at JEF here. The firm seems to be on an absolute tear from looking at its earnings and league tables, but would also like to year all of your opinions on the firm's outlook and any headwinds or tailwinds that JEF faces in the near term.

Most Helpful

Jefferies has been absolutely killing it but (from an outsider's perspective) the firm seems to be changing its strategy. I summered last year at a BB and am returning there for FT and I definitely feel like I've seen Jefferies competing against us more and bidding on larger deals. From my perspective it almost seems like Jefferies is moving towards "leveling up" from a MM and into traditional BB territory.

This has largely been the strategy over the last three years, but is increasingly so this year. Not to say Jefferies still doesn't pump out MM deals which they do, but they definitely are looking to compete more with the BBs. The Sumitomo alliance and getting access to their balance sheet is most definitely proof of that along with the poaching of group heads and MDs from various BBs like CS' FIG global head among others. 

I have a few close friends who work there and it’s a fine place to start your career. But everyone I’ve met whose worked there, my friends included, are kind of intense/arrogant/love the grind. If you’re laidback and not a bro, the culture could be a little abrasive. But it’s only two years as an analyst and then you can move on if it gets too much.

Not OP here responding but would love to hear your take on Jefferies IB (specifically an M&A-focused coverage group) vs MS Capital Markets (Generalist platform so ECM/DCM/LevFin). You seem to emphasize name brand a lot more than function than others on this forum and while MS is MS I'm definitely much more interested in M&A so I'd love to get your take.

Hey, Take anything you read here with a grain of salt as everyone's opinions are different and the cream of the crop don't waste time surfing wso :)That being said, yea my slant when picking resumes is to give credit to top schools and larger BB, but that's just my personal preference. I think it's a little bit of self selection bias since I went to a couple of ivies and work at a BB. It's really hard to differentiate people just based on a one page resume, so I find it helpful to choose candidates that way. That being said, tons of colleagues went to crappy schools, so I'm aware school doesn't necessarily mean everything.To your specific question, JEF IB vs MS cap markets. I certainly think MS has a much stronger brand name - I spent some time there actually earlier in my career and the people there are decent and sharp. I'm much familiar with the lev fin function vs ECM but they seemed to do lots of IPOs when I was there.However, M&A and cap markets are so different that I think your choice really depends on what you want to do. Are you very interested in M&A and PE? Do you want to do corp dev type work in the future? Than I think you have to take JEF in that case because you might find cap markets to "soft" and not technical for you.

Funniest

Recusandae quia autem qui voluptatum. Aut quis recusandae fugiat. Maxime in vero possimus quia. Aut voluptatem est et et. Ut non tempora et reiciendis fugit.

Explicabo non magnam ducimus et iure. Officiis quisquam qui et ducimus natus et. Rerum recusandae nostrum sint quis.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”