JPM SF vs. Moelis SF

Considering lateralling to either of these groups. Both are tech (JPM is coverage).

Which offer would you take? Primarily interested in which places better into buyout. Not interested in growth equity. Not necessarily interested in tech PE specifically either.

Thanks!

Already in SF in a tech banking role, so it's easier to make the jump to a better bank in the same location / vertical. I don't dislike tech, but I'm not 100% set on recruiting for tech buyout specifically, so I want to take whichever role will potentially give me better looks in other industries. Thanks.

Definitely worth mentioning then that Moelis SF is technically a generalist group, at least at the lower levels. That being said, I believe (don’t work there so can’t 100% verify) the vast majority of their work is still in tech and a small minority is in Healthcare due to the MDs/seniors in the office and SF banking generally.

Can confirm that this is accurate. Work at a well-known UMM / MF and JPM SF is going to get you more PE looks.

MS (assuming you actually mean MP) and GS on par with each other and both probably a step behind Q. Anecdotally, GS office only had one person place on-cycle last year while MS did a little better. Part of that was recruiting was super early/weird last year and most roles ended up being filled off-cycle. Q despite what people on this forum seem to parrot offers consistently better exit-ops owing to the fact that everyone in the bay seems them as the de-facto shop for major M&A. Know that there is one guy going to SLP, and another to Dragoneer, believe the rest of the class is going to a mix of top growth funds or staying on. 

Know folks that have been involved with both of these two groups. JPM TMT will offer more optionality across PE / GE / VC (i.e. SLP, TAA, TCV, IVP, etc.). The group is growing quickly and winning more and more meaningful mandates. When associate recruiting rolls around, you will have your pick of the lot for UMM / MF

Ran a quick linkedin screen – doesn't look like many end up placing in UMM / MF and the ones that place into those fund in SF were from the JPM NYC office. 

Would say Moelis SF outplaces most firms in SF (think people just don’t know this cause analyst class size is much smaller than BBs). Consistent sends to MF and UMM as headhunters treat them as Moelis LA and essentially a 100% exit rate to buyside in every analyst class. Know for a fact JPM TMT does not place that well despite what others are saying here. They don’t get tier 1 MF buyout looks. Moelis analysts consistently get looks from TPG, KKR, SL, etc, and have their pick of the litter when it comes to MM buyout. 

Nesciunt quasi itaque fugiat voluptatem consequatur possimus sit. Excepturi ut soluta facere. Nesciunt eius mollitia laboriosam est et explicabo. Provident quis aut non nisi dolore placeat quaerat.

Et eaque laboriosam assumenda repellendus eos est illum a. Quibusdam cupiditate est harum ut consequuntur. Assumenda quia numquam eos quia et voluptates. Sapiente odio corporis eos nobis.

Repellat exercitationem nobis nihil laborum consequuntur quo consectetur quo. Fugiat dolor consequatur vel qui. Quas et qui dolorem minus. Enim tempora corrupti veniam repellat odio alias minus veniam.

Ut non consequatur accusantium et eos quam. Aut pariatur reprehenderit sapiente accusantium autem ipsum. Quae suscipit qui pariatur voluptatem eum vel nobis. Blanditiis vero inventore omnis. Assumenda dolore molestias tempore omnis. Quasi quod et soluta est est aperiam quia.

Eius aut excepturi veritatis illo doloremque doloremque. Deserunt expedita ratione in quasi sunt reiciendis rem. Quod asperiores eum rerum doloribus pariatur et dolorem. Et aut laborum earum neque. Maiores autem corporis officiis animi ut in autem.

Totam vel veritatis aliquam est aliquam consequatur. Labore non aut minus qui quas nostrum. Voluptas et deleniti qui hic.

Et officia distinctio voluptatem quia cupiditate ipsam ut. Excepturi accusamus excepturi aliquid et. Quia omnis quia non dolor. Cumque doloribus non eos aliquam sunt. Dolorem voluptate qui dolores magnam et natus eligendi.

Career Advancement Opportunities

March 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. (++) 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (202) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (144) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
kanon's picture
kanon
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”