JPM SF vs. Moelis SF

Considering lateralling to either of these groups. Both are tech (JPM is coverage).

Which offer would you take? Primarily interested in which places better into buyout. Not interested in growth equity. Not necessarily interested in tech PE specifically either.

Thanks!

Agree with the above. JP Morgan has a stronger presence and platform when it comes to the West Coast. 

Already in SF in a tech banking role, so it's easier to make the jump to a better bank in the same location / vertical. I don't dislike tech, but I'm not 100% set on recruiting for tech buyout specifically, so I want to take whichever role will potentially give me better looks in other industries. Thanks.

Definitely worth mentioning then that Moelis SF is technically a generalist group, at least at the lower levels. That being said, I believe (don’t work there so can’t 100% verify) the vast majority of their work is still in tech and a small minority is in Healthcare due to the MDs/seniors in the office and SF banking generally.

Can confirm that this is accurate. Work at a well-known UMM / MF and JPM SF is going to get you more PE looks.

Know folks that have been involved with both of these two groups. JPM TMT will offer more optionality across PE / GE / VC (i.e. SLP, TAA, TCV, IVP, etc.). The group is growing quickly and winning more and more meaningful mandates. When associate recruiting rolls around, you will have your pick of the lot for UMM / MF

Ran a quick linkedin screen – doesn't look like many end up placing in UMM / MF and the ones that place into those fund in SF were from the JPM NYC office. 

I don’t think this is true. Moelis SF consistently sends to MF and UMM buyout and moelis as a whole is just incomparable to JPM placement. These last two cycles, look on LinkedIn how many moelis guys are at TPG as associates (think over 5 in tpg SF office). Know SF placed guys there in these most recent cycles. Analysts there constantly get pinged by HHs for early chats with TPG, KKR, SL, Thoma, Vista, etc.   

Would say Moelis SF outplaces most firms in SF (think people just don’t know this cause analyst class size is much smaller than BBs). Consistent sends to MF and UMM as headhunters treat them as Moelis LA and essentially a 100% exit rate to buyside in every analyst class. Know for a fact JPM TMT does not place that well despite what others are saying here. They don’t get tier 1 MF buyout looks. Moelis analysts consistently get looks from TPG, KKR, SL, etc, and have their pick of the litter when it comes to MM buyout. 

Perferendis eveniet ullam beatae temporibus. Et vel ut autem hic aliquid sint aut.

Reprehenderit aut debitis voluptatum nam consequatur repellendus quaerat. Excepturi nesciunt assumenda et. Quia ut hic sequi enim atque quis voluptatum ut.

Enim fugiat deserunt consequatur. Architecto harum perspiciatis excepturi et nostrum fugiat doloremque.

Animi sed ex ut et illo. Maxime dolorum quia magnam praesentium error necessitatibus. Aut mollitia consequuntur voluptas quo ex aut. Architecto temporibus adipisci accusantium similique.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”