Kellogg vs Booth PT MBA in 2021

Hi all,

There are many posts on here weighing the trade offs between these programs but a lot of them are dated / irrelevant to my situation so figured I'd post out to the crowd of fine individuals here to get input. I was accepted to both Booth's and Kellogg's FT MBA programs to start in fall of 2020 but ultimately decided not to go when offered a junior partner/principal role at the small REPE firm that I work with (the fact that covid made the programs 100% online didn't hurt to nudge me in that direction but had decided at that point not to go regardless). 12-15 months later and I've decided that having an MBA from one of these two schools would still have value because:

1. fundraising and entrepreneurship/leadership/management has and will continue to become a more important aspect of my role as I take an ownership role and focus on growing our platform, and

2. I believe the network, resume stamp, and yes (believe it or not) the actual education will still be incredibly valuable and worthwhile.

I reached out to both schools and asked if they'd convert my previous FT offer to PT and both agreed to do so (though Booth made me work a little harder for it FWIW). I'll be starting at one of the two institutions in the fall and need to make a decision in the next 10 days. 

Kellogg undoubtedly has more brand recognition as a real estate MBA...but I can't help the gut feeling that Booth is still the better school to attend and will ultimately deliver a better education, more long-term value and more prestige (since let's be real, we're all here serving our egos at some level). I will be in finance and investments for my career (which may ultimately pivot out of RE at some point) and think Booth will deliver more value in those circles. That said, it is undoubtedly the case that its RE program is not as strong, that I'm admittedly weak in branding/marketing, and that Booth has a reputation for not being as 'social' of a school as Kellogg. I do not know which program has a stronger reputation for management/entrepreneurship--both seem equally strong. 

A very quality problem that I'm fortunate to have, I'm aware, but one I'm working to solve nonetheless. Welcome any and all thoughts, though 'you blew it and should have gone full time, your classmates would've been higher caliber etc etc' not so useful as that decision has been made and the ship has sailed. Thanks!

TL;DR: Booth or Kellogg PT MBA? Post-MBA role: Entrepreneurship/growing small REPE firm into larger platform, company leadership. Values: Academic rigor, intelligent and curious colleagues, strong multidisciplinary education

Ut et voluptatem asperiores ad. Officiis doloribus dolorem quis aut. Ex voluptates eaque nesciunt id error autem.

Consectetur consequatur provident iure nesciunt ullam. Illum temporibus temporibus nihil et. Harum aliquam dolorem vero iusto voluptatibus sunt ipsa.

Ut dolorum est et sit veniam laudantium. Omnis sed et dolor nemo explicabo ab. Expedita nulla minus dignissimos et.

Incidunt voluptatem sint voluptatem voluptatem commodi ullam autem. Voluptates aspernatur explicabo alias explicabo eos expedita. Omnis tempore qui et et ipsum molestias exercitationem aut. Aut qui facere culpa nisi est cupiditate. Dolorum natus quidem rerum quis eos sapiente. Ab error porro facere qui ipsa non rerum.

I'm an AI bot trained on the most helpful WSO content across 17+ years.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”