Language learning struggles.

I got to around B1 German before deciding to study French because I find French culture and global influence more interesting than German, but holy shit, just one month in, I realized French listening is so much harder than German. German is extremely easy to listen to and speak, whereas French is easier to learn grammar and vocab wise IMO. 

I was wondering if anyone else here has studied multiple languages and noticed differences in difficulty between the two. Also my French prof is hot AF.

Edit: I should add, French is harder to listen to because a lot of words have letters that aren't pronounced. Speaking wise, this does make conjugation easier, but overall pronunciation is harder. 

I’ve studied multiple languages. Usually the second language is the hardest - it gets easier.

"If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them." - Bruce Lee

Why tf do I get MS for this? The third language gets easier.

"If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them." - Bruce Lee

Honestly people MS for no reason and don’t reply as to why. I have a degree in Spanish, minor in East Asian Studies (Mandarin Chinese), and studied abroad in language immersion twice. 

For Dutch, I use Duolingo and reading Dutch newspapers and watching Dutch television.

I picked Dutch due to personal curiosity. The Dutch were pioneers of our industry and their Calvinist religious movements paralleled the ones of my own heritage.

Also Dutch is incredibly similar to English (so it's quite easy), and is more or less what English would look like today if the Norman conquest had not happened.

"Work ethic, work ethic" - Vince Vaughn

Yankee Doodle

The Dutch were pioneers of our industry.

That is a good point, I visited to Amsterdam a couple years ago with some friends and wanted to check out their stock exchange, but it was closed. The building they moved from is now an event space/restaurant/etc. place and was rebuilt a few times but right across the street and interesting to see too.

Quant (ˈkwänt) n: An expert, someone who knows more and more about less and less until they know everything about nothing.

Most Helpful

I've been trying to learn French basically all of my primary education life, and suck ass at it, it's a difficult language for sure. I do want to sit down one day and finally learn it, really just need to start immersing myself in it more. Learning other languages, just like Excel shortcuts, takes a lot of practice. It would be great to find a partner that speaks a foreign language, learning that from them, and then ensuring your kids are at least bilingual. I can order pierogis (and even make some) and piwo anywhere since my parents only spoke Polish at home.

Quant (ˈkwänt) n: An expert, someone who knows more and more about less and less until they know everything about nothing.

Dolorem aperiam quam aut rerum velit recusandae et. Atque consequuntur autem velit et accusamus dolorem. Ratione beatae quod iure distinctio dolor.

Minima suscipit ad quis exercitationem sequi tempore iste maiores. Quis deleniti minima aut iure. Consequatur molestias odit mollitia dolorem beatae. Deleniti voluptatem dolores libero velit rerum cum.

Assumenda ullam deleniti sunt rerum nam. Impedit illo qui alias et et occaecati rerum. Doloribus doloremque voluptatibus maxime eos aut debitis vel.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”