WSO Elite Modeling Package

• 6 courses to mastery: Excel, Financial Statement, LBO, M&A, Valuation and DCF
  • Elite instructors from top BB investment banks and private equity megafunds
  • Includes Company DB + Video Library Access (1 year)

Comments (16)

Most Helpful
  • Analyst 2 in IB - Cov
Feb 2, 2021 - 7:10pm

Laurier probably has the best placement of those 3 in Canada. For Wall Street/US roles - Go to Laurier, take advantage of co-op and try to land a role at a big 5 for 2nd year. Keep grades high / get one or two decent extra curriculars in and then transfer to Ivey in 3rd year. If you can manage that you will have better work experience than most. At that point goal is to grind/network into one of the places that recruits in the fall (SLP, HLH, etc.). Do your best to leverage contacts with the people who transferred in - there's a number of transfers from Laurier who ended up in the US. 

• Prospect in S&T - Other
Feb 2, 2021 - 7:22pm

Double Degree for sure. Access to both schools' network and just look at how many UW placed on Bay St. FO. Laurier alone, I haven't seen much. But for BB, its gotta be Queen's or Ivey. 

Learn More

300+ video lessons across 6 modeling courses taught by elite practitioners at the top investment banks and private equity funds -- Excel Modeling -- Financial Statement Modeling -- M&A Modeling -- LBO Modeling -- DCF and Valuation Modeling -- ALL INCLUDED + 2 Huge Bonuses.

Learn more
Feb 2, 2021 - 7:38pm

Should be OK. Do you get access to WaterlooWorks? I think as long as they see UW DD, you shouldn't be treated that differently when you are applying for your internships. I have a friend who did Laurier-based DD and still managed to land ER.

Feb 2, 2021 - 7:57pm

Sorry forgot you were still in HS. Its their job application system. From what I recall, there will be specific jobs posted at each school. E.g. Waterloo gets more technical jobs or FAANG, Laurier will have more business/finance roles, but for something big like IB, they usually post at all schools (even publicly available on their website too). 

• Analyst 2 in IB - Gen
Feb 3, 2021 - 1:02am

If you are Laurier-based then you will only have access to Laurier's co-op system (I forgot what it was called), and you will miss out on the first summer as I believe only Waterloo-based DD do 5 co-ops. That said, Laurier's co-op system has much more typical FO jobs than WaterlooWorks. While Waterloo holds the title for "best co-op program", for banking at least its not that amazing, if you were CS DD, then it would make a much bigger difference as the caliber and quantum of the tech postings on WaterlooWorks way outshine Laurier's.

Bottom line: when looking at the jobs you are interesting in getting into, it doesn't really matter as Laurier will offer the same postings as Waterloo, you'll just have to find your own gig for the first summer (which is hard even with WaterlooWorks)

Also, regarding transferring to Ivey, it'll be much harder to keep up your GPA in the BMath DD than the single Laurier BBA degree as your Waterloo courses will drag down your GPA significantly. You should only really gun for Ivey if you're set on the US opportunities and if that's the case, try to defer taking the hard math courses in your 2nd and 3rd years as much as possible so that take more easy (relative) BBA courses to boost your average

Feb 2, 2021 - 8:43pm

Tbh I would do Schulich or Laurier and then try to transfer to Ivey for third year. A lot of people do that and then place in the US for IB. Even though IB recruiting is now done before Ivey actually starts, once they get the Ivey offer in the Spring they can then easily start to network with the Ivey alumni at the diff firms. 

Feb 2, 2021 - 9:29pm

Dolorum officiis aliquam et tenetur. Odio sunt saepe sit molestias ut. Magnam incidunt modi nemo sapiente doloribus commodi dicta.

Praesentium modi maiores vero. Qui quia corrupti atque facere blanditiis neque reiciendis pariatur. Eos accusamus veniam architecto eveniet voluptatem sunt ut neque. Expedita et qui excepturi ut voluptas aut.

Ipsa tempore odio voluptate praesentium quia dolorem. Corporis numquam sint ut quia quibusdam est sunt laudantium. Nulla beatae ipsum qui autem perferendis ut.

Start Discussion

Popular Content See all

Oncycle is a fucking joke
+187PEby Analyst 2 in IB - Cov
Dating smart girls
+139OFFby Analyst 2 in Consulting
How often do you get "matches" on apps?
+134OFFby Associate 1 in AM - Other
I want to quit already…
+106IBby Analyst 1 in IB - Cov
Have you ever sued your employer?
+95PEby Principal in PE - Other