Lawyer to Financial Analyst with CFA® Level 1

As my name states, I am a miserable JD. Top-ten law grad on a one-year deferral from big law, with the increasing likelihood of a prolonged job search floating on the horizon (i.e., Unnamed Firm to Miserable JD: Drop Dead). I’m looking to escape this ignominious fate; I want to change sectors.

So does passing the CFA® 
Level 1 give me a legitimate shot to get a financial analyst position (I want to avoid paying for a top 10 MBA)? A job with a small fund or bank would be sweet. And don’t get me wrong, I'm not looking to waltz into Barclays or Goldman.

Oh all-knowing masters of the universe, help this poor, floundering scrivener!

Feel free to insult my intelligence for getting such a worthless degree. Your ridicule is well deserved.

Apply to Top Wall St. Jobs

Will the CFA® 
Level 1 Help Me Get a Job?

Some users shared that a JD paired with the CFA® 
FA Level 1 certification should be helpful in getting a job in finance. The CFA® Level 1 helps to establish an interest in the profession and show how serious you are about changing careers. Users advise that you keep going through the CFA® program and get all three levels.

non-target:
CFA® 
+ JD = Restructuring/Bankruptcy or Distressed Analyst. Now the JD by itself won't get you anywhere in Finance without experience. Passing the level I shows employers you are genuinely interested in Finance, but the question comes down to, why all of a sudden the change of heart? So your best bet would be looking for something that complements both the CFA® 
and JD, which, IMO is a career in Distressed Assets. Also, if you are not interested in being pig holed, you could always be a lawyer for something in Finance, but my knowledge there would stop at "something." But make sure you do all three levels and stay dedicated to the CFA® , because it holds no value without the charter, though the level I by itself can help you unlock some doors.

BretEastonEllis:
To the OP: I think if you passed level I of the CFA® 
it would be favorable and give the impression that you're serious about switching careers.

However, a few users shared a suggestion that the OP stay in law.

TNA:
If you have a JD and pass the bar you basically have your own little business. Man, I could make so much money on my own if I was barred. I read an article about people who decide to stop paying their mortgage right. Well they pay a lawyer like 1K and he files a shit load of paperwork and basically drags the process out for around 2 years. Gives the owners (deadbeats a free year or two, rent free). You could clean up.

Stop thinking I can't get a job and realize you have something with a high barrier to entry and a skill which people will pay for. Shit, stand outside court and defend people for 50 bucks.

mr1234:
To the original poster: I honestly don’t think you are doing yourself a favor. I mean thinking about it from the perspective of an employer...you spend all this money and time on law school only to figure out that finance is your passion. It doesn’t make you look intelligent. No offense, but if I was an employer, that is EXACLTY what I would be thinking.

I think the smartest thing for you to do is to stick with law. you will make more as an associate in big law than as an analyst at a bb ibank. and you already have a job, you’re just deferred. You realize all this, right?

Decided to Pursue a Wall Street Career? Learn How to Network like a Master.

Inside the WSO Finance networking guide, you'll get a comprehensive, all-inclusive roadmap for maximizing your networking efforts (and minimizing embarrassing blunders). This info-rich book is packed with 71 pages of detailed strategies to help you get the most of your networking, including cold emailing templates, questions to ask in interviews, and action steps for success in navigating the Wall Street networking process.

Networking Guide

I wish I was smart enough to Law.

CFA will definitely help. I remember speaking a hot-shot Barcap trader who told us that anyone who can do the CFA is impressive. Make sure you can pass it though - it's no walk in the park.

wow. just wow. what is up with this shit?

i have friend, graduated form a t3 law school, got a an offer in 2009 for corp law, and is kicking it back at home b/c her start date got deferred to 1/2011. i have a another friend, she graduated from t10 law school in 2010, didnt get a summer job and is now back at home, working an unpaid internship for the public defender, and this was a person who was BADLY seeking a corp law job. i see the same story again and again on these forums. and not to mention all the young people i know who are going to third tier toilet law schools b/c they dont know what to do with their lives, so they think, 'o, i guess ill be a lawyer!'.

to the original poster: i honestly dont think you are doing yourself a favor. i mean thinking about it from the perspective of an employer...you spend all this money and time on law school only to figure out that finance is your passion. it doesnt make you look intelligent. no offense, but if i was an employer, that is EXACLTY what i would be thinking.

i think the smartest thing for you to do is to stick with law. you will make more as an associate in big law than as an analyst at a bb ibank. and you already have a job, youre just deferred. you realize all this, right?

i was thinking about going for the cfa, too. take a look at what i discovered about the job prospects in the asset management business:

//www.wallstreetoasis.com/forums/all-three-levels-of-cfa-passed-and-chanc…

--- man made the money, money never made the man

[quote=mr1234]wow. just wow. what is up with this shit?

i have friend, graduated form a t3 law school, got a an offer in 2009 for corp law, and is kicking it back at home b/c her start date got deferred to 1/2011. i have a another friend, she graduated from t10 law school in 2010, didnt get a summer job and is now back at home, working an unpaid internship for the public defender, and this was a person who was BADLY seeking a corp law job. i see the same story again and again on these forums. and not to mention all the young people i know who are going to third tier toilet law schools b/c they dont know what to do with their lives, so they think, 'o, i guess ill be a lawyer!'.

to the original poster: i honestly dont think you are doing yourself a favor. i mean thinking about it from the perspective of an employer...you spend all this money and time on law school only to figure out that finance is your passion. it doesnt make you look intelligent. no offense, but if i was an employer, that is EXACLTY what i would be thinking.

i think the smartest thing for you to do is to stick with law. you will make more as an associate in big law than as an analyst at a bb ibank. and you already have a job, youre just deferred. you realize all this, right?

i was thinking about going for the cfa, too. take a look at what i discovered about the job prospects in the asset management business:

//www.wallstreetoasis.com/forums/all-three-levels-of-cfa-passed-and-chanc…]

Yeah. I guess I just don't see myself crunching numbers for the rest of my life while someone above me stacks more chips. And yeah, pretty sure Blankfein has a JD from Harvard.

BretEastonEllis][quote=mr1234]wow. just wow. what is up with this shit?</p> <p>i have friend, graduated form a t3 law school, got a an offer in 2009 for corp law, and is kicking it back at home b/c her start date got deferred to 1/2011. i have a another friend, she graduated from t10 law school in 2010, didnt get a summer job and is now back at home, working an unpaid internship for the public defender, and this was a person who was BADLY seeking a corp law job. i see the same story again and again on these forums. and not to mention all the young people i know who are going to third tier toilet law schools b/c they dont know what to do with their lives, so they think, 'o, i guess ill be a lawyer!'.</p> <p>to the original poster: i honestly dont think you are doing yourself a favor. i mean thinking about it from the perspective of an employer...you spend all this money and time on law school only to figure out that finance is your passion. it doesnt make you look intelligent. no offense, but if i was an employer, that is EXACLTY what i would be thinking.</p> <p>i think the smartest thing for you to do is to stick with law. you will make more as an associate in big law than as an analyst at a <abbr title=bulge bracket>bb</abbr> ibank. and you already have a job, youre just deferred. you realize all this, right?</p> <p>i was thinking about going for the <abbr title=Chartered Financial Analyst>cfa</abbr>, too. take a look at what i discovered about the job prospects in the asset management business:</p> <p>//<a href=http://www.wallstreetoasis.com/forums/all-three-levels-of-cfa-passed-and-chances-at-interview[/quote>www.wallstreetoasis.com/forums/all-three-levels-of-cfa-passed-and-chanc…</a>:

Yeah. I guess I just don't see myself crunching numbers for the rest of my life while someone above me stacks more chips. And yeah, pretty sure Blankfein has a JD from Harvard.

but did you also know that lloyd blankfien's ambition was to be a supreme court justice? he even mapped out his life for how he was going to get there. then he started working for j aron, he was commodities broker. the only reason he was employed by gs is bc gs acquired j aron.

anyway, i think in the past, getting into ib from big law wasnt as tough. the environment wasnt as competitive and ib wasnt as lucrative as it is today. but ib recruiting has become very much institutionalized. the only way to really 'break in' with out experience is through on campus recruiting, either through under grad or grad school. and ib rarely hires from law school campuses. again look at it from their point of view...dudes with firm jobs for big law usually get paid $160,000 starting, and with huge upside after. why bother competing with that, especially when those dudes dont have the skill set your looking for.

Blankfein also had hook ups. Look, CFA level will not get you shit, sorry. And honestly a CFA with no experience is not too great. If your at top ten law, get on career services to hook you up with a banking interview. Try management consulting and work in their m&a advisory group. McKinsey takes a bunch of law grads.

Ace all your PE interview questions with the WSO Private Equity Prep Pack: http://www.wallstreetoasis.com/guide/private-equity-interview-prep-questions

BretEastonEllis:
I'm just saying you can do more with a law degree than be a lawyer. At least it proves you can think, unlike an MBA program.

if your making at least $120k starting in nyc at big law, why would you want to be more than just a lawyer?

if i had a nickel every time i heard a law scgool student say, 'you can be more that a lawyer with a law degree'...so youre going to law school but you dont want to be a lawyer riiiiggghhhtttttttt. i fail to see the logic in that. yet, i hear it a lot. its like mit engeneering majors, i heard something like 1/4 of mit engineering majors end up working in finance. there is a problem with this way of thinking.

Start looking for jobs in Europe because that student loan bill is going to come due way before that CFA level 1 is passed and once your loans go into default kiss your life goodbye. If you don't have any loans then start hiding from your parents because if my kid made me piss 7 years of college tuition down the drain I would cut his balls off.

Banking is not that much more intellectually stimulating then law. Go defend people from debt collectors, with this economy you will be in huge demand and because your clients credit sucks you can deal only in cash. Ca Ching!

Whatever. My point is I don't think a law degree is as huge of minus as its being made out to be.

To the OP: I think if you passed level I of the CFA it would be favorable and give the impression that you're serious about switching careers. Honestly though, are you really sure you want to do finance man? I know you got a deferral but why the fuck get into this industry now? If I could go back I wouldn't have wasted time on this shit during my college years.

One more rant, if you have a JD and pass the bar you basically have your own little business. Man, I could make so much money on my own if I was barred. I read an article about people who decide to stop paying their mortgage right. Well they pay a lawyer like 1K and he files a shit load of paperwork and basically drags the process out for around 2 years. Gives the owners (deadbeats a free year or two, rent free). You could clean up.

Stop thinking I can't get a job and realize you have something with a high barrier to entry and a skill which people will pay for. Shit, stand outside court and defend people for 50 bucks. I have 2 tickets from the fucking PPA and a NYS speeding ticket you can come fight for me if you are bored.

AnthonyD1982:
One more rant, if you have a JD and pass the bar you basically have your own little business. Man, I could make so much money on my own if I was barred. I read an article about people who decide to stop paying their mortgage right. Well they pay a lawyer like 1K and he files a shit load of paperwork and basically drags the process out for around 2 years. Gives the owners (deadbeats a free year or two, rent free). You could clean up.

Stop thinking I can't get a job and realize you have something with a high barrier to entry and a skill which people will pay for. Shit, stand outside court and defend people for 50 bucks. I have 2 tickets from the fucking PPA and a NYS speeding ticket you can come fight for me if you are bored.

Not to mention you can live anywhere in the country.

What do you mean live anywhere in the country ? If you are barred in one state you can only practice in that state unless there is a reciprocal agreement ( that last part I think is completely wrong, but it sounds like it might be right)

AnthonyD1982:
What do you mean live anywhere in the country ? If you are barred in one state you can only practice in that state unless there is a reciprocal agreement ( that last part I think is completely wrong, but it sounds like it might be right)

I meant practicing law in the sort of half-assed way you suggest. God, why the fuck is everyone on this board so fucking aggressive about calling people out on minor shit?

BretEastonEllis:
AnthonyD1982:

I meant practicing law in the sort of half-assed way you suggest. God, why the fuck is everyone on this board so fucking aggressive about calling people out on minor shit?

finance types tend to be 'detail-oriented'....

OP,

I don't want to make it seem like I'm shitting on you. But you acting like a lil bitch right about now. Yes, I get that its rought for recent law grads. Fyi, my boy edited his school's review, had a 174 lsat prior, kick ass internship, etc...making 60K right now....it is what it is. The options out there for a lawyer are ENDLESS. The attitude you're exhibiting is one of a person who was expecting 190K and a corporate expense account 2yrs out of LS. Those days are done, my advice, buckle down and start hustling, or HUSSLIN' if that makes it more clear. Find customers, provide counsel. you got some good advice up top from AnthonyD.

A lawyer with a little moxie and creativity can make a shit load of dough and work across multiple fields, your options are always open. Hell, work for the damn government if you have to. It's clear from your doormat attitude that you are looking for a career that will give your life meaning. Finance won't do it, nothing will. Think it over long and hard. Best of luck and remember...anybody who told you that anything worthwhile came easy, pulled a fast one on you...if you believed them.

CFA + JD = Restructuring/Bankruptcy or Distressed Analyst. Now the JD by itself won't get you anywhere in Finance without experience. Passing the level I shows employers you are genuinely interested in Finance, but the question comes down to, why all of a sudden the change of heart? So your best bet would be looking for something that complements both the CFA and JD, which, IMO is a career in Distressed Assets. Also, if you are not interested in being pig holed, you could always be a lawyer for something in Finance, but my knowledge there would stop at "something." But make sure you do all three levels and stay dedicated to the CFA, because it holds no value without the charter, though the level I by itself can help you unlock some doors.

non-target:
CFA + JD = Restructuring/Bankruptcy or Distressed Analyst. Now the JD by itself won't get you anywhere in Finance without experience. Passing the level I shows employers you are genuinely interested in Finance, but the question comes down to, why all of a sudden the change of heart? So your best bet would be looking for something that complements both the CFA and JD, which, IMO is a career in Distressed Assets. Also, if you are not interested in being pig holed, you could always be a lawyer for something in Finance, but my knowledge there would stop at "something." But make sure you do all three levels and stay dedicated to the CFA, because it holds no value without the charter, though the level I by itself can help you unlock some doors.

hmmm these dudes make some interesting points that i should of mentioned.

to the OP: i think youre already pigdeonholed in law, but i think your best shot into ib would be to work in finance related legal work. restrcuturing, bankruptcy law, distressed assets, etc. do that for a couple yrs, realistically 2-5. at that point, maybe you could break into ib.

youre going to be a shlep-rock lawyer, so dont fight it. just go with the flow.

We are on the same boat but my situation is slightly better than yours: Canadian econ UG, had a 2.4 troll face, and passed CFA L1. So back to your questions: 1. Nothing is so called "too bad" if you realize your situation soon enough and make some changes. What is bad? Being a dead corpse is bad. 2. No, passing CFA exams will hardly help you cracking into the field. Be innovative and focus on demonstrating what employers will want to see in their ideal candidates. 3. It is a wide spectrum. 4. Focus on your remaining semesters and get good grades. No doubt with this.

hello tony ! thanks for your polite and encouraging reply. I see you work in Equity research. What do you think helped you score the job you are presently on? I mean what, according to you, made the employer overlook your GPA? Was it volunteer exp, internship etc? I would like to start working on them.

1. Pretty fucking bad. What makes you think you can pass L1 if you can't get decent grades? You didn't give us any rationale for your atrocious GPA.
  2. No.
  3. Welcome to WSO. The FAQ's are located at the top.
  4. Get better grades. Redo some courses. Get some relevant finance experience (cashier doesn't count). Network. Or pick a different industry.
"For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen."

brute0887:
I am a 4th year Canadian Econ undergrad student with CGPA of 2.1. My university has adopted a new method of calculating GPA, they don't take into account the courses you failed in, if they did CGPA would be way lower. I have two more semesters before I graduate(including the one I am currently in). I am giving CFA level 1 in June 2013. My aim is to work in finance industry and go into Asset Management or Financial Planning. I am not looking to go into BB. I talked to representative of couple of the banks, they said even if I wanted to go into finance sector everyone starts from Customer Service Rep. I do not want to start as CSR. I have worked as a cashier, sales person etc. I have 5-6 jobs on my resume and two volunteer experiences. My questions are: 1. How bad is my situation on the scale of 1-10, 1 being - success and money will come easy, 10 being- you should just jump of a cliff and end your misery? 2. Will CFA level 1 one help me crack into finance industry? 3.What kind of entry level finance jobs are out there? 3.What should I do from this point on?

Don't talk to retail bank reps, they know nothing about actual finance. Retail is retail, institutional is a whole different world.

If you're comparing aspirations of AM vs FP you're doing the exact thing, those 2 have 2 differnent paths.

FP is client focused, its lower than IA for Canadian Banks. FP's tend to deal with fixed income and mutal funds, while IAs have access to equities and options etc.

The FP route will probably require you to either start from CSR (for the big banks) or at the very least account rep level ie. TD FSR. The reason being FP is very highly tied to retail, if you can't handle client day to day scenarios or aren't familiar with the systems etc. it doesn't matter how much CFA you have FP and IA are sales based roles, anyone who tells you otherwise is leading you off track. Even portfolio managers for Private Investment Counsels (high value team above IA) require to bring it $25M new assets annual in most big banks.

If you want to skip the CSR role you can dog it out with small companies like investor group where its pure commission, it's really on you in that case.

As for Asset management. With such a low GPA in econ, even with CFA you'll be competing with existing employees with experience of all levels with easily Lvl 1 - 2 CFA, and are either slow developing finance grads, grads in your case, or misc degrees.

for you to stand a solid chance you'll have to get to know some really good people to pull strings for you. Level 2 would start to help but without adequate experience with securities (even on the retail level, and i don't mean CSR) you'll be fighting some very tough odds.

you might be better of graduating, and then doing some continuing education certs (I"m not talking about CSI either). Consider stuff like Ryerson Chang school of business professional certs, or other online math certs. You'll have to prove you can hack out some standard quant skills if you want in on AM.

Entry level "finance" is a very broad term. In my opinion there are two groups at the very least - retail, and institutional. Retail being the 2nd tire lower level, institutional being where recruited top level grads go - ie. TDSI, RBC CM, BNSC, CIBC WM, etc.

If you want AM but want to skip CSR you'll have to do your best to get into stuff like IA associate (RBC hires often for these roles), direct investing investment rep, or other sales/ service related roles on the retail investment front. That's as good as it'll get, and its only the beginning once you get in.

Hi, do any of you if a CSR job at a bank qualifies for work experience for the CFA. I know it's not real finance experience but I heard the work requirements for CFA are broad. Appreciate any help. Thanks

hello people! thank you everyone for the replies. I have one more question- One of the main purpose of giving CFA level 1 was to make up for bad GPA. Instead of doing courses extra to degree which are way costlier than CFA; by clearing CFA i was hoping to convey the message that I am harworking, diligent and have knowledge rgarding the field (one conveyed by good GPA). Do you think this is what is conveyed by CFA L1? Should I give CFA L1 again (if i dont make it this time) or just concentrate on finding a job ?

Also, apart from CFA what other things can i do to make the employer overlook bad Gpa. Something which will, to some extend, compensate for this GPA ?

smh to some people on this board for giving the guy a hard time. honestly, with a 2.1 GPA you're going to have to work MUCH harder than the average individual which isn't going to be a walk in the park. May sound cliche but networking is #1, especially in your case. Start with your alumni, friends, family, etc. If you want to go into Asset Management the CFA I think would benefit you but it's not going to make up for the low GPA. Also, your going to have to get your MBA somewhere pretty damn good that would help offset your low undergrad GPA, so keep that in mind.

The, um, IBanking industry? (I-banking is a combination of GPA, school, work experience, connections, other experience. Pretty much the whole package. Although I-bankers don't look particularly for the CFA like a PWM or AM, would, they certainly realize it means you know your shit to a certain extent). It will certainly get you in the finance industry in general. Having passed the CFA prior to graduating is going to look very good, it will definitely give you brownie points. I would venture to say that it might be as good, or better, than a solid summer internship experience. For anyone who has taken the CFA exams, they know that Level 1 is essentially an overview of an entire undergrad degree in finance.

Let us looking in our crystal fucking ball and get back to you.

It takes more than just getting a degree and clearing CFA level 1. CFA charter holders are a dime a dozen, and a lot of them are unemployed. People with finance degrees from schools that are much better than yours...a lot of them are also unemployed. You'll need a combination of strong grades, good internship experience, and networking to break through.

Under my tutelage, you will grow from boys to men. From men into gladiators. And from gladiators into SWANSONS.

What do you consider finance? Back office processing at a bulge bracket? Reconciliation at an Asset Management firm? Sure, you could get those jobs with no problem. Do you want those jobs? Because no one with self respect and a want for a career would.

If you want a job anywhere meaningful, you're going to need a lot more than a finance degree and CFA level I. My advice is to cancel level II and focus on getting a job. Start reading everything on jobs in the industry and pick out one or two career paths that sound interesting. Start talking to as many people as you can.

No one cares about level I of the CFA or your finance degree. Everyone else has the exact same qualifications. Start trying to differentiate yourself. Also, be weary of advice from people like the first two posters above me. Most are still in school without a clue of how the real world works.

STorIB:
What do you consider finance? Back office processing at a bulge bracket? Reconciliation at an Asset Management firm? Sure, you could get those jobs with no problem. Do you want those jobs? Because no one with self respect and a want for a career would.

If you want a job anywhere meaningful, you're going to need a lot more than a finance degree and CFA level I. My advice is to cancel level II and focus on getting a job. Start reading everything on jobs in the industry and pick out one or two career paths that sound interesting. Start talking to as many people as you can.

No one cares about level I of the CFA or your finance degree. Everyone else has the exact same qualifications. Start trying to differentiate yourself. Also, be weary of advice from people like the first two posters above me. Most are still in school without a clue of how the real world works.

Saying "I've read everything about my chosen career and I've talked to a lot of people" is not going to get you a job. A finance degree isn't putting you ahead. The CFA Level 1 WILL put you ahead of the game coming out of an undergrad program. It shows you know your shit, claiming you read Forbes and WSJ does not. Yes, network, network, network, and prove yourself. And get the best experience you can, back office at Goldman is a shit ton better than financial adviser at Wells Fargo down the street. Start somewhere. That's it.

And, get to know what you want. Getting a job in "finance" as a bank teller at your local Chase bank is much different than landing an analyst position at Goldman.

Best Response
Bankn:
Saying "I've read everything about my chosen career and I've talked to a lot of people" is not going to get you a job. A finance degree isn't putting you ahead. The CFA Level 1 WILL put you ahead of the game coming out of an undergrad program. It shows you know your shit, claiming you read Forbes and WSJ does not. Yes, network, network, network, and prove yourself. And get the best experience you can, back office at Goldman is a shit ton better than financial adviser at Wells Fargo down the street. Start somewhere. That's it.

And, get to know what you want. Getting a job in "finance" as a bank teller at your local Chase bank is much different than landing an analyst position at Goldman.

Bankn raises a good point. Let's be honest, not everyone gets their dream job out of school. If you can't, it's far better to take a job that can put you in a position to leverage skills/company name to jump into your choice career after working. You can always use it as time to build meaningful relationships instead of "20 minute, I bought you coffee please take my resume" relationships and also get level II.

Plenty of people have said it before but it is much easier to get interviews once you're already employed in something reasonably respectable.

Time to edit my first response...

As someone a year older then you, with a Finance degree from non-target (but good business school) and CFA Level 1 + 1 year work experience, it's still damn near impossible for me to find my "dream job."

I've had some phone interviews but nothing has really materialized. I'm focusing more on Equity Research than IBanking right now as the CFA has more credibility there and you can leverage your sell-side network into banking contacts IMO.

My name is Nicky, but you can call me Dre.

As someone a year older then you, with a Finance degree from non-target (but good business school) and CFA Level 1 + 1 year work experience, it's still damn near impossible for me to find my "dream job."

I've had some phone interviews but nothing has really materialized. I'm focusing more on Equity Research than IBanking right now as the CFA has more credibility there and you can leverage your sell-side network into banking contacts IMO.

I'd say wait until you are out of college, unless you plan to be working 90 hours a week. If that is the case, it will be nice to knock out as many levels as possible if you have your heart set on getting the designation.

However, and since I am guilty until proven innocent here on WSO I can't post a link, you should google the phrase "Why I Hate the CFA – and Why I Might Be Wrong" to get an IB perspective.

CaR:
I did the same as hockey...start the process as soon as possible, which is your senior year of college. People might tell you that it's harder when you're trying to balance it with school and whatnot, but it's far easier than once you start working. I promise

Also, if you need financial consideration, schools have scholarships and most financial services firms that I'm aware of will pay for you to take the exam, or at least reimburse you if you pass.

It may be harder once you are working full time but what's the rush? Enjoy your college years because nothing will compare to them once you get out.

Furthermore, you need 4 years of full time relevant experience before you can even list yourself as a CFA so there is little to no upside to starting it while still on school.

Take level 1 the December after you graduate and you can still take level 2 the following June without having fallen behind.

In the meantime get laid as much as possible.

Take the exam if you are allowed to, it is certainly helpful. Many I-banks and research houses especially in North Am still value CFA qualification as it says a lot about the type of person you are. Not sure if it will remarkably improve the number of interview calls for you, but you will have loads to talk about in any interview that you may get.

If you are thinking twice about investing in the CFA exam, you can try providers like 5 A Day CFA and free sources from 300hours . I posted a thread on this forum asking for reviews on the 5 a day CFA product, but ended up buying their app anyway since they offered a decent review for less

I took it during school along with a bunch of other classmates and I would recommend doing L1 at this time if you are very sure about the CFA designation being a part of your future career. If you're studying finance/accounting, a lot of the material is very congruent which is a big help. You will have to balance your time a little more than usual, but it is definitely doable. Much more so than trying it while doing banking... which I just started and honestly I don't think I'll do L2 for a while because of the brutal hours. However, that said, some people can cram the test by taking a week off, but I think that's too much of a gamble based on how much the test cost after fees and study notes etc.. Lastly, if you aren't sure that the CFA is for you, hold off... Start your career and reevaluate how the CFA fits in at that point, then make a decision. Best of luck man.

I will be graduating this year, bachelor's degree in Finance. Currenlty, I am working as an analyst in financial journalism. Have decent GPA and extracurricular achievements. While in college, I also did multi-level marketing. I am considering CFA level 1 to stand out in eyes of recruiters. I need this as a proof that I am genuinely interested in finance. I want to do IB. But, yes I am not planning to get all 3 levels; as soon as I get an internship at a bank or receieve FT offer, I will stop working on CFA.

Et rerum omnis aperiam voluptates placeat. Perferendis aspernatur qui ducimus magni.

Qui eveniet nobis quia debitis aut sint et et. Eum ut possimus numquam pariatur. Quisquam labore deserunt nesciunt ipsum totam ea nesciunt quasi. Beatae provident et voluptate exercitationem qui provident. Est amet ut maiores atque error omnis aut sed. Ex dignissimos iusto et asperiores perferendis ad architecto tempora.

Corrupti consequuntur laudantium ducimus ut quis reiciendis. Consequatur qui aut mollitia perferendis consectetur sed.

Maxime occaecati explicabo ad voluptatem asperiores. Voluptatem et numquam nemo doloremque est debitis. Totam rem in architecto et quo rerum sit libero. Doloremque rerum minus facere aut. Sunt quibusdam aliquid mollitia in voluptas quas nam.

Est consequatur earum autem tempore repudiandae. Ut sit odit aut ut aspernatur esse beatae. Iusto cupiditate quam libero perspiciatis aut ut laudantium. Est ipsa quo facere vel earum. Perferendis nihil voluptatem voluptatem a.

Aut in debitis placeat repudiandae earum minima aut. In officia quia quam quo vel facilis quisquam. Esse ea distinctio atque molestiae neque. Sapiente voluptates ut perferendis quidem in eos distinctio. Reprehenderit vel quia iure eveniet aperiam rerum magni.

Architecto nesciunt non tenetur rerum. Ut repellat qui in. Hic minima autem laborum soluta porro consequatur. Quia nostrum voluptate optio consequatur. Quasi voluptate magnam nihil quis.

Doloremque enim voluptas incidunt qui excepturi dolores impedit. Et veniam consequatur temporibus est ut dolor et esse. Assumenda ut ducimus vel necessitatibus expedita. Vel est omnis saepe explicabo optio. Commodi et ex sed eius aut.

Nobis placeat laboriosam ut omnis quod sint voluptates. Ipsam quae sequi quaerat velit temporibus voluptatibus. Sunt eos deleniti vero velit doloremque. Aut sed consequatur quia non molestias. Aspernatur blanditiis blanditiis molestias hic. Illo quibusdam molestiae ut aut voluptatem perferendis.

Est velit neque blanditiis animi a voluptates debitis nesciunt. Vitae corporis cum a ut magnam ex adipisci. Nesciunt ut iure delectus aut nihil. Eaque voluptatem vitae magnam rem ut voluptates repudiandae. Est iusto architecto nesciunt harum voluptatibus.

Culpa nihil nostrum sint dignissimos autem. Dolorem dignissimos doloremque facilis possimus aut officiis. Molestiae iure perferendis temporibus nulla cumque molestiae. Et sequi dolores molestias est et dolorem. Architecto pariatur at mollitia laboriosam et qui dolore deserunt. Impedit harum ea repellendus aut laudantium.

Career Advancement Opportunities

March 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. (++) 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (202) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (144) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”