WSO Elite Modeling Package

• 6 courses to mastery: Excel, Financial Statement, LBO, M&A, Valuation and DCF
  • Elite instructors from top BB investment banks and private equity megafunds
  • Includes Company DB + Video Library Access (1 year)

Comments (16)

Aug 11, 2019 - 8:20pm

Just from what I've read and heard, Lazard has been on the decline while Moelis has gained significant traction in the space. Both firms run solid RX platforms, but Moelis has historically had a better group in NY. Houston rx groups are mainly just NY groups relocated. Also, you should double check to see if either group runs the rx in house. I believe Lazard Houston historically has just used NY for the work as opposed to doing it in Houston.

Array
Most Helpful
Aug 11, 2019 - 9:20pm

Have friends in both groups and if I were going through recruiting right now, I'd choose Moelis, hands down.

Both are solid shops, but as mentioned above, the momentum and overall outlook of the two groups couldn't be more different. Also, can confirm that Moelis runs their Energy restructurings out of Houston.

PM if you want to talk further.

Learn More

300+ video lessons across 6 modeling courses taught by elite practitioners at the top investment banks and private equity funds -- Excel Modeling -- Financial Statement Modeling -- M&A Modeling -- LBO Modeling -- DCF and Valuation Modeling -- ALL INCLUDED + 2 Huge Bonuses.

Learn more
Aug 11, 2019 - 10:26pm

Wasn't a member of the Lazard Houston team, but have worked with them into the wee hours on a few things and got to know the team and what they're all about. Only positive things to say. They work hard but seem to enjoy working together (no small feat), and the senior leadership in that group is strong and respected.

Aug 13, 2019 - 12:43pm

Agree with Moelis. That deal would be a nice bullet point on the resume:

"$1T Initial Public Offering for Saudi Aramco (closed)"

Few players recall big pots they have won, strange as it seems, but every player can remember with remarkable accuracy the outstanding tough beats of his career.
  • Intern in IB-M&A
Oct 4, 2019 - 10:42am

Is Moelis still underwriting the Aramco IPO? Read a few articles saying Aramco selected their bankers but didn't see Moelis. I was under the impression they were the lead book runner, has that changed?

Oct 4, 2019 - 1:13pm

That was the case back in August (Bloomberg had reported Moelis & Lazard were being selected) but per WSJ article from September they list the following:

JPMorgan Chase & Co.
Morgan Stanley
Goldman Sachs Group Inc.
Bank of America Merrill Lynch
Citigroup Inc., HSBC Holdings HSBC
Credit Suisse Group AG
And two "domestic investment banks"

https://www.wsj.com/articles/big-u-s-banks-crowd-into-aramco-ipo-115682…

Few players recall big pots they have won, strange as it seems, but every player can remember with remarkable accuracy the outstanding tough beats of his career.
Oct 5, 2019 - 2:35pm

Moelis is the lead financial advisor to Aramco for the IPO, but they not underwriting it (they're a pure advisory shop). So, they're sitting on the side of the table with Aramco and helped them choose the underwriting group (among many other things I'm sure).

Oct 5, 2019 - 6:41pm
Intern in IB-M&A:

Is Moelis still underwriting the Aramco IPO? Read a few articles saying Aramco selected their bankers but didn't see Moelis. I was under the impression they were the lead book runner, has that changed?

Theyre not underwriting it, they have some advisory role on it along with one of the other EBs. Doubt its being run out of the Houston office given every other bank is doing it from their London office.

Oct 9, 2019 - 9:18pm

Dolore odio eveniet eos velit perspiciatis vitae. Id voluptatem accusantium earum. Possimus unde eos nemo nemo suscipit voluptas.

Start Discussion

Total Avg Compensation

October 2021 Investment Banking

• Director/MD (10) $853
  • Vice President (39) $363
  • Associates (229) $233
  • 2nd Year Analyst (139) $155
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (32) $149
  • Intern/Summer Associate (104) $143
  • 1st Year Analyst (504) $135
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (387) $83