Just from what I’ve read and heard, Lazard has been on the decline while Moelis has gained significant traction in the space. Both firms run solid RX platforms, but Moelis has historically had a better group in NY. Houston rx groups are mainly just NY groups relocated. Also, you should double check to see if either group runs the rx in house. I believe Lazard Houston historically has just used NY for the work as opposed to doing it in Houston.

Most Helpful

Have friends in both groups and if I were going through recruiting right now, I'd choose Moelis, hands down.

Both are solid shops, but as mentioned above, the momentum and overall outlook of the two groups couldn't be more different. Also, can confirm that Moelis runs their Energy restructurings out of Houston.

PM if you want to talk further.

Wasn't a member of the Lazard Houston team, but have worked with them into the wee hours on a few things and got to know the team and what they're all about. Only positive things to say. They work hard but seem to enjoy working together (no small feat), and the senior leadership in that group is strong and respected.

That was the case back in August (Bloomberg had reported Moelis & Lazard were being selected) but per WSJ article from September they list the following:

JPMorgan Chase & Co. Morgan Stanley Goldman Sachs Group Inc. Bank of America Merrill Lynch Citigroup Inc., HSBC Holdings HSBC Credit Suisse Group AG And two "domestic investment banks"

https://www.wsj.com/articles/big-u-s-banks-crowd-into-aramco-ipo-115682…

Few players recall big pots they have won, strange as it seems, but every player can remember with remarkable accuracy the outstanding tough beats of his career.

Moelis is the lead financial advisor to Aramco for the IPO, but they not underwriting it (they're a pure advisory shop). So, they're sitting on the side of the table with Aramco and helped them choose the underwriting group (among many other things I'm sure).

Intern in IB-M&A:
Is Moelis still underwriting the Aramco IPO? Read a few articles saying Aramco selected their bankers but didn't see Moelis. I was under the impression they were the lead book runner, has that changed?

Theyre not underwriting it, they have some advisory role on it along with one of the other EBs. Doubt its being run out of the Houston office given every other bank is doing it from their London office.

Magni provident natus distinctio iusto saepe corrupti dolores aspernatur. Et veniam maxime dolorem hic vero ratione totam.

Praesentium iure quia voluptatibus. Deserunt modi consequatur rem dicta veniam recusandae sed. Mollitia quis molestias cum ex ut cupiditate tempora. Quibusdam quia impedit consequatur ullam ut.

Consequatur enim ut corrupti quis occaecati. Recusandae et praesentium aliquam sapiente accusantium sit eos. Est voluptas et et doloremque. Exercitationem consequatur nihil commodi aut laborum in accusantium odio.

Harum ipsa neque voluptate optio. Ut molestiae totam dolor culpa veritatis natus rerum voluptas.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”