LBO on a $15,000 Website?

Kind of an interesting thought here...I buy websites on a regular basis, usually hold them for some period of time (3-5 years) and then sell them after that period of time. I usually sell them when I get tired of working on them rather than when I have locked in a solid profit. I focus on websites worth $5-15K...and I have always bought them with 100% cash. I keep about 20% of my investment portfolio in HYZD, a free to trade zero-duration bond fund that yields about 4.5%. The money I keep in this is my website "play money". It's what I'm comfortable risking 100% of to invest in online sites. When I find opportunities, I liquidate X amount of this position and buy the site outright.

I interned for a PE fund a little over a year ago (now work in private banking) and am familiar and fascinated with the LBO concept. My question is: does it make sense to try to do an "LBO-like" deal on one of the websites I buy? Let's say I can borrow against my liquid portfolio at 10%, and I'm capable of borrowing 100% of the purchase price of the company (since I'm borrowing against liquid securities rather than a small online business).

So it would play out something like this: I buy a $15,000 website that free cash flows $600/month. I borrow the full $15,000 at 10% for 3-years which results in a $485/monthly debt service payment. This leaves me $115/month to pocket and reinvest in my portfolio, or to reinvest in the website.

Does this only make sense if my investment portfolio is going to return more than 10%? What else am I not considering?

Yea why not? You can use debt to buy pretty much anything and if the asset is generating cash then it should all work out. Just run the numbers on it and see what it spits out.

I think the biggest issue will be getting such a small loan, the only place I could think of off the top of my head is like a lending club or something, but the rates will be high.

Best Response
The Stig:
It wouldn't be a margin loan...margin is only to buy securities. But e-Trade for example will give you a line of credit against your portfolio. Unfortunately I'd have to go through a bank instead since I don't have the minimum collateral they require to get a line.
You can definitely use margin to withdraw from your account. If you have $100k in your account and want to pull out $15k, you can do so on margin. However, the question isn’t how much are you earning from the website that is the relevant question in that scenario, it’s how much are you earning in the account vs. paying in margin interest. Then risk adjust it. Your 4.5% is definitely a risky position given where treasury rates are. So, you’re probably going to want to keep selling that position to buy these sites. The only way the leverage works well is if you can isolate it. Meaning, if you can tie the loan to the asset and if it blows up it does not contaminate other parts of the website portfolio or your personal credit. I think that is extraordinarily unlikely.

Yeah you definitely have to go through less traditional routes to get a loan this size, but I am pretty confident I can get a loan around that amount for 10% or less.

I think my main thought is that if I'm paying 10% for 3-years on a loan and lets say my portfolio averages 7% over the next 3 years, then I'm essentially losing 3% by not liquidating instead?

I guess it doesn't make as much sense because I wouldn't be capturing the leverage factor since 100% of the free cash flows would be hitting my bank account anyways. It would make sense if I didn't have a liquid $15K to spend on it I think, but since I do it doesn't make as much sense unless I find a really low rate and have a super high conviction in my portfolio over the next couple years.

Ut ut voluptatem ut vitae ut quam animi. Facere nihil mollitia nostrum nisi cum. Odit recusandae unde dolore sapiente est earum modi.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Private Equity

• The Riverside Company 99.5%
  • Blackstone Group 99.0%
  • Warburg Pincus 98.4%
  • KKR (Kohlberg Kravis Roberts) 97.9%
  • Bain Capital 97.4%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Blackstone Group 98.9%
  • KKR (Kohlberg Kravis Roberts) 98.4%
  • Ardian 97.9%
  • Bain Capital 97.4%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Bain Capital 99.0%
  • Blackstone Group 98.4%
  • Warburg Pincus 97.9%
  • Starwood Capital Group 97.4%

Total Avg Compensation

• Principal (9) $653
  • Director/MD (22) $569
  • Vice President (92) $362
  • 3rd+ Year Associate (90) $280
  • 2nd Year Associate (205) $268
  • 1st Year Associate (387) $229
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (29) $154
  • 2nd Year Analyst (83) $134
  • 1st Year Analyst (246) $122
  • Intern/Summer Associate (32) $82
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (314) $59
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
dosk17's picture
dosk17
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
kanon's picture
kanon
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”