London - Jefferies/HL/Macquarie vs European BBs - 2020 SA

Hey fellow Monkeys,

I am seeking advice regarding the choice that I have to make concerning my Summer Internship. I am a final year student recruiting for London banks.

I have managed to secure an Off-Cycle with GS/MS/JPM and it is a bank of my first choice. If I will secure a FT offer I am sure that I would like to stick around, although the group/team that I will end up with is somewhat uncertain (as always with BBs).

Currently, I am still interviewing for summer and I received an offer from Jefferies/HL/Macquarie London which explodes next week. However, I have an incoming Assessment Centre with one of the European BBs. Since the offer explodes before the AC, I have to make my decision.

Given that I will be doing an Off-Cycle, what would you recommend me?

Sign the Jefferies/HL/Macquarie offer, or decline and facing a risk of jobless summer, do my best to secure the European BB?

Do you think that doing Jefferies/HL/Macquarie vs European BB in summer makes a huge difference in my case?

Thank you for your contributions!

Firstly, congrats on the offers. I would take the MM offer. It will be useful in preparing you for the off-cycle which is your main priority, and I think the name won't make a difference seeing as you have an off-cycle secured.

Alternatively, you could take the MM offer then renege if you get the European BB.

Take the MM and renege if you get the BB. People on this forum will tell that this is the last thing that you should do - this may be true in the US, but in LDN no one will remember or care that you reneged by the time you start your internship.

Most Helpful

That's true - would do this

Regarding MM vs BB the difference is actually major when it comes to PE recruiting down the line. Even a lower tier BB (UBS/DB/BarCap are the three weakest in Ldn) will give you better visibility for PE recruiting (you will still get calls for processes for megafunds), while from a Jefferies or the like you will have trouble getting traction with the majority of headhunters (and you really only have 4-5 credible HH shops in London)

If you get the offer from the american BB it does not make a difference anyways; If you don't think you want to do PE, the difference again is not major

Hey, just came across your post and wondering if you'd mind sharing how the process was for your off cycle internship and if it's been changed due to covid? Am in a similar position (ish) as I'm planning to apply for OC once they open late summer and would be really interested in hearing whether you have previous IB experience. PM me if you'd rather not message here

Nobis sed reprehenderit et nisi. Sunt aspernatur consequuntur error tempore quisquam voluptatem. Libero non quia similique cum sit. Laudantium harum vero quasi mollitia impedit eaque.

Asperiores ut nihil tempore consequuntur. Et est rerum et molestiae. Sint autem quis assumenda aspernatur doloremque.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”