Backrgound:
25 y/o
Male
From Eastern europe(very small country)
Working in P&G as a financial analyst for 2 years

Stats:
Undergraduate GPA around 2.0
GMAT 700

Please help me, how can i strenghen my profile? Should i get CFA or ACCA?

Target school: Top 15

Post MBA goal: Consutling MBB

Hey John37 Thanks for posting. Lots to think about here. I think we have to consider your GPA (definitely on the lower end if we're talking 4.0 scale), your GMAT (on the lower end for top programs), and your work experience (on the lower end for top programs). Each datapoint on its own wouldn't be a problem, but the three together could be problematic. I'd like to see you strengthen each as much as you can: 1. GPA: Take (and succeed in) HBX Core to prove you've got the academic chops to succeed. 2. Up the GMAT to 730+ please. 3. Add another year or two of work experience. I'd really recommend applying with 4 years although certainly you could try applying with 3 years. P&G is a great company so if you're happy there, stay there and just try to move up the ladder and get more involved in corporate initiatives.

To your question about the CFA or ACCA, my recommendation is to follow my advice above first before worrying about these additional credentials.

Hope that helps! Consider setting up a free consultation with us. You'll get a lot out of it!

Krista

mbaMission Admissions Consultant For personal advice, please see up a free consultation: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php Website: http://www.mbamission.com Blog: http://www.mbamission.com/blog

Most Helpful

Hi John,

I basically agree with Krista.

I think that GPA is a hurdle. However a lot of times when "translating" international GPAs, they lose a lot in the translation. Was your GPA considered low or average in your home country? Were there extenuating circumstances that affected your performance. For more on this topic, please see (or listen to) 5 A's for your low GPA..

For top 15, I would also like to see a higher GMAT score, especially given what is apparently a low GPA.

Another year or two of increasing responsibility at work would also help you be more competitive and present a track record of achievement. (Plus give you time to raise your GMAT and present evidence of academic ability.)

Regarding the CFA or ACCA, I would only go for them if they are relevant to your post-MBA career goals, and it doesn't sound like they are directly relevant. HBXcore is a good recommendation, especially if you are currently not in the U.S. where graded classes at local universities are a strong option.

Since you are also probably a year or two away from applying, you may find helpful Prep For B-School: A 4-Year Guide for College Students & Recent Grads. It's a free download.

Best, Linda

Linda Abraham President, Accepted | Contact Me | Admissions Consulting

Hi Linda, thanks for reply!

I had the lowest GPA in my class, but ended up with highest GMAT and IELTS scores. I had some health related issues back then.

My 1st year GPA was like 3,5, in 2nd year it dropped to 2,3 and kept going that way till i graduated.

My dream is to get into HBS, please assess my chances objectively, do i have at least like a 20% of chance getting into HBS?

Hi John,

You're welcome!

At this point in time and based on the little I know about you, I don't think you do have a 20% chance of getting into HBS. Remember the overall acceptance rate is a tad under 10%.

I'd rather talk about what you can do to improve your chances at HBS (and other top MBA programs. Don't fixate on HBS.)

1. Assuming your health problems are behind you, take graded classes and get top grades. Doing so will bolster the argument that your grades in college don't really represent your academic ability.
  2. Let the schools know about the health challenges you faced and point to the one year of healthy grades as well as your GMAT and professional progression.
  3. Provide lots of positive reasons for them to accepted in terms of your ability to contribute distinctively based on your background (not a ton of East Europeans in bschool) and record of achievement. P&G is a good start, but what have you accomplished there and what will you accomplish on and off the job between now and when you apply?
  4. Lead. HBS wants to see a habit of leadership and they mean it.

You might be interested in "Get Accepted to Top MBA Programs with Low Stats."

Best, Linda

Linda Abraham President, Accepted | Contact Me | Admissions Consulting

Dude...these nice women are sugar coating it. I'm sorry but real talk:

2.0, lowest GPA in the class and a GMAT below the 10%ile of every T15.

This is a nonstarter. You are wasting your time. The people who get into top schools with low stats are under represented minorities who have overcome a ton in their lives, not white guys.

Not to mention, MBB has a hard cut off at 720, if I'm not mistaken.

You need to hit high 90's percentile to even have a shot at somewhere MBB recruits, forgetting even getting a job there.

Array

Agreed, 2.0 GPA and 700 GMAT is 0% chance at HBS, not 20%.

You maybe have 20% chance at a top 20 school, but don’t see you getting into MBA business schools">M7 unless I am missing something extraordinary about your profile. And MBB in U.S. extremely unlikely with those stats, but maybe possible back in your home country if they have offices there.

jhd311:

Not to mention, MBB has a hard cut off at 720, if I'm not mistaken.

You need to hit high 90's percentile to even have a shot at somewhere MBB recruits, forgetting even getting a job there.

These programs and jobs are remarkably difficult to get. No doubt. Obviously, there are outlier cases though, and you can be one of them. I know a 3.2 GPA guy from Florida Atlantic University with a 680 GMAT, who ended up at Columbia and BCG afterwards. I know another 3.5 GPA and 670 GMAT who ended up at HBS and McKinsey afterwards. Me, personally, I had a 3.0 GPA from a top 50 university and a 700 GMAT. I have made it to the interview phase at all 3 M7s that I applied to in round 1 this year.

My point is, while low stats make it a lot more difficult to get to these elite programs, supplemental quant courses online through Berkeley, HBS, UCLA, others can make a difference. Take 3+ courses in your case and get As in all 3. Excel at your job over the next 1-2 years and give the GMAT another shot if you can. Finally, ensure your resume and essays are truly top notch and well put together. Apply to your dream schoolS but also have plan B and C.

Despite your weak stats, there are still some factors you can control. Work on those things and apply. Don't let anyone make you feel like you have no chance to get where you want to go.

Quia odio distinctio voluptatum minus. Qui nobis qui mollitia magni. Vel facere aliquid doloremque. Quis eos est nihil id. Odio perspiciatis deserunt vel natus sequi quo. Explicabo in quas dolores beatae. Ea rerum omnis voluptas iste quasi.

Eos voluptates quia non accusantium autem nesciunt qui. Et aut sapiente unde non voluptatem et et. Consequuntur unde laboriosam ex numquam vel quis tenetur. Nihil enim in earum nam deleniti aliquid. Rem sunt sequi tempore eos deleniti. Magni repellendus et labore.

Susan Cera Director of MBA Admissions Stratus Admissions Counseling - www.stratusadmissions.com FREE Profile Evaluation - www.stratusadmissions.com/consult

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”