Low MGMAT Test Score 430, Help

Hi,
This is embarrassing but the best way to get better is to learn and persevere. I am targeting to sit my GMAT at the end of July or early August 2017 for first round MBA applications in September.

Just sat the MGMAT practice test 1 as a diagnostic and scored an appalling 430 (Q25/V26); did not do AWA.
Overall - I had little to no prior practice. I'm more of an analytical personality - really only feel comfortable/confident when I've at least dabbled in the subject matter of what I'm tested against.
Quant - felt hard from the start and knew I bombed it before finishing.
Verbal - got to Q35 and ran out of time

Do you think I can improve my test scores dramatically over the next 154 days with full-time work?

Study plan was 1-2 hours per day + Focus Saturday sessions (6+ hours) commencing today.

Resources I intended on utilsing were:
- MGMAT books (potentially the online course also)
- Original Guide 2017
- Economist GMAT (if beneficial) or perhaps just the trial

Please help..

Attachment Size
gmat_mgmat_practice.png 34.76 KB 34.76 KB

Scoring below 650 (or actually 700) on the GMAT will hurt your chances a lot - if by August, you score lower, I would consider applying in a later round. Not only B-schools ask for your GMAT, but most banks will ask for your score, too, and given that you went to B-school, they'll know you have one.

As for getting there: Manhattan Prep is pretty solid, and the official books are good, too. Before you go that way, analyse your current score. You say you have an analytical mind, but Quant actually test if your mind is analytical, not any math skills. What happened there? Verbal seems to be all about language, but is actually also analytical (the questions will always be similar, as will the provided answers.

@Yunona thanks for your reply. I mentioned I am an analytical personality type (I'm IT/Accounting background) and typically terrible at taking standardised tests without any solid practice.

My downfall was solving everything algebraically instead of understand things....

Based on initial impressions of the test and considering i did not study whatsoever prior to sitting it I beleieve it's possible to make improvements and hey...if i believe it i can achieve it.

Keen to hear further opinions on this!

FWIW I scored a 580ish on my first MGMAT and scored 750 on the real deal (obviously scored higher on my later tests).

Work on getting the timing down, and CAREFULLY understand why each answer is right / wrong - you'll be fine. Everyone hits diminishing marginal returns at some point, you just have to get to the point where you hit that point for yourself. Don't stress about X mark, there are lots of career paths and folks who make plenty of dollars who don't have rockstar gmat scores

Best Response

Et esse eaque aperiam asperiores aliquam alias. Alias vero quo dolore. Qui eos enim esse aperiam voluptatem aspernatur sint. Ut eligendi aliquid excepturi accusantium.

Non sequi alias aut quia laborum fugiat vitae excepturi. Unde qui nihil non architecto sed. Laudantium laboriosam dolor quia laboriosam similique ab minus. Exercitationem sit ab qui.

Voluptatem aut ut sunt neque quidem. Cum ipsam maxime deleniti ex quia quis. Optio et delectus non veniam. Ad exercitationem et omnis ut nobis.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
bolo up's picture
bolo up
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”