M7 chances with 710 GMAT

GMAT: 710 (50 Q, 37 V)
Undergrad: 3.81/4.00 GPA at state school
Work Exp: 2 years at GS (front-office) outside of US/London

Should I retake GMAT or focus on other aspects of my application? Aiming for Harvard, Stanford, Wharton Columbia, MIT, UChicago, Northwestern.

A 37verbal is quite low, but you do have a strong gpa and good work experience. I'm assuming you're international?

If you have time, try to raise your verbal, but in your case i don't think the 710 will be a dealbreaker.

Best of luck.

hamm0:
mitchr2:
you should be fine. work on other aspects of your app.

Exactly. A 710 won't get you a ding ever. Messing up other parts of your app, however, will.

Execute well, and you'll be highly competitive for a top 10ish school (M7 is dead, I refuse to use that ranking system).

The whole M7 category is sort of dumb, but they are clearly the best and most coveted b-schools out there. After them, the ranking becomes more dubious. For example, some people will prefer haas over stern or yale over haas, but very few would pick those schools over the M7.

For the OP, a 710 is fine since he has good quant, strong gpa, and name brand company. If he had gotten say a 670, then yes, that would've been problematic.

They'll check the box and won't look twice. If you'd gotten lower, it'd hurt you, and if you'd gotten a 760, it'd help you a smidgin', but at this point just put together some knockout R2 apps. I agree with hamm0 that the M7 is totally obsolete; in my mind, I believe there is an Elite Eight, but yeah, Top 10 is just as useful a concept.

The truth is you're the weak. And I'm the tyranny of evil men. But I'm tryin', Ringo. I'm tryin' real hard to be the shepherd.

Best Response

Hi all, I actually think it's hard to opine on your chances with a GMAT, a GPA and two years at Goldman Sachs.The verbal is a little low, but you may have squeaked by at an 80th percentile (the number moves around) so an admissions director would look at your AWA and the quality of your transcript. By that I mean what courses did you take in undergraduate, did you challenge yourself, and have you been able to show you can read and write.

Without seeing what kind of leadership you've undertaken (implicit and explicit) or anything about career progression, I don't see a slam dunk, but then, the info is very thin. I'm most worried just about your work experience. Just because it's Goldman (I worked there too), doesn't mean you're in. What kind of work did you do and was it just in London? How did you get over there, and what kind of impact have you made on your team?

That's for starters....

Betsy Massar Come see me at my Q&A thread http://www.wallstreetoasis.com/forums/b-school-qa-w-betsy-massar-of-master-admissions Ask away!

Thanks for the responses everybody. I guess to fill in some of the information to give better color: - GMAT writing: 5 - American-born Chinese. Grew up and raised in USA but decided to start career in Asia. - Undergrad classes: math major / comp sci minor - Very involved at undergrad school, e.g. president of finance club, vice president of econ club, etc. - Worked in a buy side group at GS

wshopeful:
Thanks for the responses everybody. I guess to fill in some of the information to give better color: - GMAT writing: 5 - American-born Chinese. Grew up and raised in USA but decided to start career in Asia. - Undergrad classes: math major / comp sci minor - Very involved at undergrad school, e.g. president of finance club, vice president of econ club, etc. - Worked in a buy side group at GS

Your resume is really solid, given strong performance in math/cs, leadership, and now buyside at GS. Those are all impressive stuff. HBS/Stanford will still be tough just because there are so many asian-american males who are finance superstars. But I really think you're competitive everywhere else. Sure, verbal is not ideal, and if you have time to improve sentence correction then doing a re-take won't hurt. But I think you're good to go. Just focus on your essays and differentiate yourself from all the other finance guys.

Something doesn't add up here dude. You were a MATH major with a comp sci minor, getting a 3.8 GPA, you've worked at a "buy side group at GS" (PIA?), and you only managed a 710 on the GMAT?! If I was on an adcom and I saw your statistics with a 37 Verbal, it would put huge red flags up to me that you're a huge math nerd with the English skills of a Mexican migrant. Add the fact that you're Asian (thus fitting the stereotype perfectly) and I think your chances at H / S just went up in smoke. Seriously, you're smart. REALLY smart. Sit down, study for 20 hours on verbal and I bet you'll get a 750+. Then there's a good chance your application won't go into the "just another Asian" category.

ElSmokeoMucho:
Something doesn't add up here dude. You were a MATH major with a comp sci minor, getting a 3.8 GPA, you've worked at a "buy side group at GS" (PIA?), and you only managed a 710 on the GMAT?! If I was on an adcom and I saw your statistics with a 37 Verbal, it would put huge red flags up to me that you're a huge math nerd with the English skills of a Mexican migrant. Add the fact that you're Asian (thus fitting the stereotype perfectly) and I think your chances at H / S just went up in smoke. Seriously, you're smart. REALLY smart. Sit down, study for 20 hours on verbal and I bet you'll get a 750+. Then there's a good chance your application won't go into the "just another Asian" category.

Actually, which "buy side group" is the OP referring to? I know for a fact that PIA and SSG are insanely selective. I would be very surprised if someone from a state school managed to get in to one of those groups straight out of undergrad. But if he did, i think that pedigree compensates for a lower gmat verbal score. Moreover, hbs/stanford are more gpa heavy than the gmat.

Atque necessitatibus alias dolorem enim eveniet aut nisi. Natus dicta quisquam ut esse omnis perspiciatis. Ipsam soluta qui perspiciatis et excepturi nemo sapiente. Ut impedit ea impedit voluptatem ipsam.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
kanon's picture
kanon
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
numi's picture
numi
Kenny_Powers_CFA's picture
Kenny_Powers_CFA
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”