I know someone who did M&A at IBM. She said it was a great experience, because the work is much more specific, though it can get boring after a while. Apparently moving from a BB to F500 M&A is pretty normal, but you should expect the compensation to go down. You won't be pulling 700-800K in four to five years but more along the lines of 500K. It's less stressful though. You do get a lot of stock options at senior levels (eg. Chief development officer, Executive Director of development or Chief acquisitions officer)

"buys alot of mining, oil and gas consulting companies"

Hey, I have to say that it reminds of Enron~ Have you taken any course in M&A in your university? You may have a look at Weston's Takeovers, Restructuring, and Corporate Governance (4th Edition) (Prentice Hall Finance Series) http://www.amazon.com/Takeovers-Restructuring-Corporate-Governance-Pren…

This is the book that I used in my tutorials to MBA students. Admittedly, a pity is that too many theories are contained in the book, but as it turned out, the theory on this topic is not mature sufficient to give some valuable implications to the practice. I will share some tips about how to grasp the essentials of the book later. For a moment pls!

The first part provides us a good framework which ranges from the overview (you may read the 1st and 22nd chapters together at first), related law and regulation in US, Accounting and applied booking principles to Taxation.

You might neglect about the 5th chapter in that it is the focus of our lecture. The 6th, 8th and 20th chapters could be simply neglected for they are what we conduct in the research field.

The 7th chapter could be looked through if you feel interested in history; by contrast, you are recommend to look at 17th Chapter if you want to know the incentives to M&A, and the costs involved with.

The 9th chapter will be crucially important if you want to understand how we evaluate an enterprise and correspondingly, how to increase the value is to be covered in the following chapter, but it is introduced in a view of booking value to some extent.

The 11st chapter will be definitely important if you want to know how to restructure an over-diversified conglomerate corporation. But this part seems to be too brief to tell you the skills in practice.

Overview the results of empirical studies of restructuring in the next chapter. And the 13rd chapter certainly is not fortunate to a firm, possibly due to the cruise, where bankruptcy is covered (certainly, it is not sufficient at all, either in a view of Finance or in a legal perspective).

You may simply skip 14th and 15th chapters and only look at those sections you might personally feel interest in. Privatization and LBO are briefly talked about in the 16th chapter. Repurchase is not a relevant topic in M&A, except in the sections of 18.3 and 18.4 which touch the tender offer.

I do think Weston fails to demonstrate those measures of Anti-takeover in-depth in the 19th chapter. You may refer to a memo by Attorney Lipton on this topic, if you feel interested in it. Well, corporate governance is a hot issue especially after the enactment of SOA, but anyway the sections after 20.8 may be worth in the background of America. Just remind you of the fact that control right in Asian business environment is quite different as far as I am concerned from the research by me and my colleage.

For those financial professionals, it is important to how to make money by the event-driven investments, but the 21st chapter obviously could not do you a big favor but only some little implications.

Some friends and students of mine remark Weston's book is written by academics for academics. I do not deny it, and I am thinking about this book: Applied Mergers and Acquisitions (Wiley Finance) by Robert Bruner. You will be appreciated to tell me your opinion about the book. http://www.Amazon.com/gp/product/0471395056/ref=pd_cp_b_2?pf_rd_p=31771…

Wish it helps~ :)

Based on what you've said, it sounds like a great opportunity. That kind of experience would probably help you in getting a full time offer at a BB next year if that's what you really want.

Definitely want a shot with a BB in M&A. Got relatively far in the process with Lehman and had a shot at UBS, but neither panned out. Tried a few Boston boutiques (Cowen, Jefferies), and almost had one with Jefferies, but they took a Harvard kid who was lingering on a response until they told him they had me as a backup if he decided to ignore them any longer.

My school is kind of known as a party school but it has improving SATs and acceptance rates each year since I've been here. Not many kids look at or go into IBD where I go, but I'd love to change that.

Eum eveniet voluptatem repudiandae repellat minus beatae doloribus. Delectus assumenda est exercitationem ipsum ea. Iusto maxime sed voluptas vel repellat exercitationem autem. Blanditiis sit unde ut aperiam.

Nihil quibusdam in iure neque sunt quaerat. Ut nemo dolor non repudiandae. Qui consectetur aut quis porro.

Non quis quo molestiae odio perferendis. Repellendus vel magni eos nesciunt.

Ullam ut rerum aut ipsa quia vitae laboriosam. Ut quisquam optio distinctio ut rerum non autem aut. Sed beatae veritatis alias ut aliquid ipsa.

Career Advancement Opportunities

March 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. (++) 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (202) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (144) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
dosk17's picture
dosk17
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”