Masters Degree Debate

I just graduated from a state school with a 3.45 GPA. I have some internship experiences, but I know I can’t get into IB without a graduate degree and stellar grades.

I’m currently studying for the CFA Exams, But I’m trying to decide If I should get a Double Masters In Finance And Accounting at a Non-ivy or finished all the CFA Exams and then apply for an MBA Program. And do whatever job comes my way for the next couple years.

Any Advice would be greatly appreciated and sorry If there’s grammar and spelling errors.

Most Helpful

Sounds like you got a real master 'bate on your hands. A couple of points:

• You don't need a graduate degree to get into IB.

• Are you studying for CFA Level 1? It shows your interest in finance, but you don't need CFA for IB. I would stop after Level 1 for now unless you're interested in AM further down the line.

• Don't get "double masters". Again, you don't even need a masters degree.

• You most likely need work experience first before applying to credible MBA programs. If I were you I'd focus my efforts on networking and getting your first job. Cold emailing alums, etc.

-

finish cfa exams and get 5-7 years of work experience before going to get your masters. CFA takes dedication and time that’s harder to come by as responsibilities pile up (work, family).

As a graduate student working on master degree, i can assure you master degree would disqualify you in IBD, The only front office choice you have is Quant and Strat. Most Master degree students end up in middle office and back office. I would recommend you to choose the MBA path, prestigious MBA would help you enter IBD.

Correction: MS program like Vanderbilt does have high IBD employment rate.

My master is in Ivy league ,major finance related. Hardly see any chance that master graduates went straight into IBD. The most common FO they were in are Sales and Trading, but needs strong quant skills.

Surely a Masters wont disqualify you? I agree its not a requirement and pursuing one is overkill, but it doesn't lessen your chances to get into IBD surely?????

Surely, You can search as much as you want on Linkedin to see how many people got into IBD with master degree. It is literally minimal compared to undergrad.

My apology, I did research that Vandy has a high rate of IBD from MS program. I went to Ivy in NYC and most of us went on the path of financial engineering. Thx for the information.

Appreciate you correcting the record. Not sure if you saw my above comment but it's almost like I knew you did an MFE before you even mentioned it. Obviously that is geared to more quantitative / risk focused roles.

I know you mean well, but don't kill the hopes and dreams of a kid. Sorry things didn't work out for you brother.

Funniest

Aut at ea expedita et et necessitatibus autem voluptates. Quod fuga a rerum excepturi recusandae et.

Ut aut optio explicabo qui et sunt. Repellat ratione corporis doloremque expedita hic ullam. Facilis reprehenderit sunt repellat ut quo optio. Magnam nihil et ipsum minus ea autem aut autem. Dolore veritatis earum eos et neque.

Tempora cupiditate eum nulla possimus. Modi itaque doloribus voluptatem quis. Ab unde voluptates quo odio.

Consequuntur quis omnis praesentium enim mollitia consequatur ut. Culpa ab consequatur accusantium commodi sit ea. Aperiam a eveniet nulla voluptatem neque aspernatur porro atque. Eum dolores id nihil officiis accusantium.

Career Advancement Opportunities

March 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. (++) 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (202) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (144) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”