May 2019 Grad.. Commit to Job Now or Wait

Just recently received an offer with Capital One's Commercial Banking Rotational Program. The structure is 3 rotations, with 1 being in Credit Risk. I've always leaned more towards CRE Lending out of undergrad, which is a potential rotation, but nothing is guaranteed. Should I commit to this or should I wait it out for more of a pure real estate role? I have 2 weeks to make a decision, and do not have any other offers... Any input is much appreciated.

Most Helpful

Any complete answer would need an understanding of your likelihood to get a better offer later, and your post doesn't really give us anything to go on in that regard. If this looks like the only option, kind of a silly question, no?

Can we assume this would be a slam dunk if you were guaranteed a rotation with the CRE Lending group? If so, I'd indicate your interest at the time of your acceptance and ask if you can connect with CRE team members before your start date. Ask for coffee meetups to introduce yourself, express your interest, learn about their group, and ask what you can do to improve your odds of getting a rotation/placement with them. I'd think that would go a long way to differentiating yourself from other candidates.

For context, this is my only offer as of right now but have phone calls set up for other programs, nothing is definite yet (think operating company for large REPE firm). I have had 3 internships and currently with a developer for the last year while in school, continuing until graduation.

If I was guaranteed a rotation with CRE Lending this would definitely be a slam dunk opportunity, but it is tough since nothing is guaranteed. I will definitely take your advice/suggestions into consideration, thank you for your help!

Since this sounds like a generalist credit rotational program, I'd expect at most a handful of your peers will also have RE-related internship experience. Have to think that'd also improve your odds.

As mentioned below, good opportunity at a good company. Starting in a rotational program can go a long way on your resume.

REPESailor2020:
I have no idea why people are blatantly recommending reneging. Apart from the integrity issue with all that, you represent your school. If you don't care about your school and its reputation, go ahead.

Yeah I would also really caution against agreeing then backing out

Commercial Real Estate Developer

Magni dolore ex architecto pariatur asperiores est in. Ut qui voluptatem qui inventore. Modi ad alias aperiam et dolor enim. Et ut et natus tenetur et. Officia aut consequatur nobis ut. Deserunt aliquam omnis dolore expedita facere repudiandae quod. Tempora expedita in magnam tempora dolorem aut.

Ut soluta ut quas vitae veritatis iste. Qui eius maiores harum corrupti quia eveniet. Facilis cumque quidem et at debitis ea voluptas. Consequatur deleniti cum quia suscipit possimus minus esse et. Rem minus similique consectetur quam laudantium. Molestiae at est soluta nihil necessitatibus mollitia.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”