"May I speak with the owner or accounts payable"

I've been on a kick lately of ruthlessly eliminating distraction and unimportant shit from my life. Both my inboxes are empty. I've been unsubscribing from anything that I don't need to be seeing, then reporting spam and blocking it if I get another message. I had to block several of my financial institutions on Gmail because it was impossible to opt out of the email they send when a payment goes through or whatever. I know my payment went through. There's money in the bank. Quit clogging my inbox. I had to block Amazon. I know I placed an order. I'd like to be reminded of it only when it arrives at my door.

I never pick up calls from numbers I don't know. I've been doing that for a while. My VM says I'll do my best to get back to you within a business day and I check VM daily, so I have no need to be speaking with strangers. Furthermore, if one of those voicemails is a spam call, I block the number and report spam.

I was sitting here just now and a call my phone recognized as "suspected spam" called. I'd normally just ignore it. I don't know why, but out of curiosity I suppose, I answered the call.
"Hello"
"May I speak with the owner or accounts payable of XYZ LLC"
XYZ LLC is the owner of one of the properties my company manages
Goldie: "Regarding what?"
Lady: "Are we transferring our call to the owner or accounts payable of XYZ LLC or are we asking questions?"

Holy shit. I could not believe this phone bitch just spoke to me like that.

Goldie: "Who is this?"
Phone Bitch: "Sir, you don't need that information. Who are you?
Goldie: So you called my number and you don't know who I am?
We went on for another 30 seconds and she said "Sir, have a nice day" and hung up.

All my calls are recorded and the weird shit is, this one recorded as silence. How'd they do that? No matter.

I'm super curious what these people's objective is. They're using a skip tracer to find suspected owners of properties? And then what? Tell them they owe money or some shit? Who's gonna fall for that? So either I'm a secretary and what secretary is going to transfer that kind of call? Or I'm a property owner and I realize that's a bullshit call. And on the off chance some dummy property owner sends them money, isn't the number traceable if you cared enough? Can't you prosecute? I don't care enough to look into this. My strategy of ignoring almost everyone has been working out well. Real curious if anyone has more info on this type of shit though. I get like a dozen of these a day.

Nah, I'd know if we owed someone money.

Is this like some little crime syndicate running this type shit? Or is it somehow legal? And if they do get payment, it would be in check or what form? This seems really hard to launder.

heister: Look at all these wannabe richies hating on an expensive salad. https://arthuxtable.com/

Most Helpful

Oldest trick in the book. Call various small companies with poor internal controls and demand payment for a rendered service. They just don't take no for an answer and keep speaking in a threatening voice to the other end of the line. I would presume they pulled some card like, "We will be seeking legal recourse immediately, including liens, for the lack of cooperation in resolving your unpaid debt."

When I was at a smaller business, we got these calls all the time. The best was, "I'm calling from your IT hardware company, we've received a notification that your printer is currently running low on toner, please verify the printer model so we can expedite more toner to your business." The cheap quality toner would arrive with an inflated invoice and no return label in the event you didn't want it.

As far as payment, the toner shtick our admin fell for demanded payment via money order or cashiers check. I would imagine a wire transfer would work too with either a bank front or a bank in another country outside of the FBIs reach.

There is another scam involving spoofing where an email server is compromised. The scammer sees the email trail and makes a fake email demanding payment for a service. The company recognizes the service, discussion history, and expects to pay in full. Problem is, they are paying a scammer. The real vendor then shows up and says, "Where is my payment?" A company an accounting friend audited was had for over $300k with this scam. Better internal controls now require a phone call to the company providing a bank account number for wire, as well as the bank receiving the wire to ensure all is proper.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/03/27/phishing-email-scam-stole-100-million-f…

Very interesting. Thanks for the info my dude. Any clue who's on the other end of these scams? The lady on the phone sounded American. I've been called about bullshit cruises too by American-sounding people. I had some fun with that one asking questions about shrimp consistency and the captain's resume and whatnot. Are there like warehouses full of scammy telemarketers somewhere in Florida? Are these people paid cash?

heister: Look at all these wannabe richies hating on an expensive salad. https://arthuxtable.com/

GoldenCinderblock:
Very interesting. Thanks for the info my dude. Any clue who's on the other end of these scams? The lady on the phone sounded American. I've been called about bullshit cruises too by American-sounding people. I had some fun with that one asking questions about shrimp consistency and the captain's resume and whatnot. Are there like warehouses full of scammy telemarketers somewhere in Florida? Are these people paid cash?

I wish I knew. I think someone on YouTube busted the "you won a cruise" scam call and had the operator admit it was a call center in FL.

GoldenCinderblock:
I've been called about bullshit cruises too by American-sounding people.

Oh yeah, those are the worst. Mainly because you pick up the phone and the first thing you hear is a ten million decibel ship's horn going off in your ear. Those calls are why I now let every number I don't have in my contact list go to voicemail.

My favorite is when they say police are otw to arrest you. I always say tell them to hurry up.

Just ignore. They are trying to scare you.

God Emperor Doom:
My favorite is when they say police are otw to arrest you. I always say tell them to hurry up.

Just ignore. They are trying to scare you.

I got one of those once. I laughed out loud hard and asked why I didn't get a courtesy call the last time that went down.

One time I played ball with them to see how far they were gonna take it. Muthafuckas told me to pay them via target gift card. Like literally go to Target. Get a gift card and tell them the number on it once I get it.

Veritatis quibusdam voluptatem animi officiis. Nemo ut et asperiores incidunt consequatur. Suscipit id et corporis explicabo. Qui dolor pariatur et et et odit aut. Dolorem asperiores ipsum iure debitis impedit. Laudantium commodi officia dolores porro velit error omnis. Sed iure minus error libero.

Et commodi nemo enim quia ut atque. Non quibusdam saepe at quae omnis. Sequi dolores est ipsum quis. Omnis eaque sunt earum et cumque pariatur.

Sit eaque exercitationem sit quod pariatur. Veniam modi ea dolores reiciendis enim. Ut delectus voluptatum voluptatem eos laborum deserunt quis. Repellendus voluptate pariatur harum est accusantium non. Deserunt facere perspiciatis sapiente odit. Itaque quisquam eligendi id voluptatum error error velit.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”