MBA Class of 2015 Roll Call

Fellow monkeys,

With the release of R2 decisions this week for the majority of schools, I thought we'd start a thread for everyone that'll be matriculating somewhere this fall.

Where'd you apply?
Where are you in at?
Where are you headed?

I did both mba and mfin but will only report mba results here since that's what this thread is about.

Round 2 at hbs, wharton, booth, and regular decision at columbia.

HBS: ding after interview Wharton: accepted Columbia: accepted Booth: find out tomorrow

Since I got dinged at princeton mfin, it looks like I'll most likely be attending Wharton this fall.

mbavsmfin:
I did both mba and mfin but will only report mba results here since that's what this thread is about.

HBS: ding after interview Wharton: accepted Columbia: accepted Booth: find out tomorrow

Since I got dinged at princeton mfin, it looks like I'll most likely be attending Wharton this fall.

Why did you apply for mfin? How many years of work experience do you have, and what did you do?

BTbanker:
mbavsmfin:

Why did you apply for mfin? How many years of work experience do you have, and what did you do?

I have 4 years trading at an exotic derivatives desk at a BB in NYC. I applied to mfin because of my interest in the coursework and placements at buyside firms in quant research/trading. I applied to mba as sort of a hedge against career volatility in case I decide to make a career transition, for the network, and for the social experience. I feel that I could get something very good from either program, albeit in a very different manner. I was sort of torn between mba and mfin so took the gmat and gre and applied to both to see what my options are.

cinnamontoastcrunch:
Applied to Harvard, Stanford, Wharton Dinged at Stanford after interview In at HBS and Wharton

Headed to HBS this fall

Wow. Congratulations. Can you give us a short analysis of what you think got you into HBS?

And short: Fuck yeah. You deserved it buddy. Very happy for you.

Last, how can a guy who can get into Wharton MBA not get into Priceton MFin. Aren't they all about your numbers?

Best Response
mongoose:

Wow. Congratulations. Can you give us a short analysis of what you think got you into HBS.

The short answer is that I think I had a strong profile relative to peers in my admissions "bucket".

I think HBS starts with the end in mind of what they want their class to look like. One of the easiest ways to look at this is the breakdown by pre-MBA industry. Take a look at any of the recent class profiles to get an idea.

That's your competition.

Then, we can look at undergrad institution. HBS has its bluechip feeder schools (http://poetsandquants.com/2011/08/15/top-feeder-colleges-to-harvard-bus…). It's not impossible to get in from a no-name school, but you'd be the exception, not the norm.

Next, we can look GPA and GMAT. High for each. Necessary conditions for admission, but not sufficient.

It's imperative to compare yourself to your peers and find some way to differentiate yourself from the rest through having higher/better scores and grades, unusual/foreign work experience, extraordinary extracurriculars, and bonuses like being a URM, female, or from a foreign country (that isn't India).

Applied: HBS, Wharton, Booth, CBS

Accepted: Booth, CBS

Attending: CBS

"They are all former investment bankers that were laid off in the economic collapse that Nancy Pelosi caused. They have no marketable skills, but by God they work hard."

shorttheworld:
Booth with scholly. trading+startup, 2.7, 700 GMAT
Did you have any notable extracurriculars or volunteer/community work? My background is pretty close to yours, except I'm in a banking role, my standardized test scores are higher, my GPA is lower, and I'm applying next year.
Array

shorttheworld:
Booth with scholly. trading+startup, 2.7, 700 GMAT

Not trying to call you out or anything, but I thought you had enrolled at Duke last year. Or maybe I am mixing you up with someone else...Either way, good luck at Booth!

For those who got into HBS, want to share some of your stats, prior work experience? Also considering applying there in the next year or so.

"On a long enough timeline the survival rate for everyone drops to zero." - Zerohedge.com

surferbarney:
What do you get dinged for at the interviews?

surferbarney, I think it's highly variable what could happen during the interview that would get you a ding. I also think that often times, it's the case that nothing went wrong in the interview at all, but the inn was full and the innkeeper couldn't make room for one more X, Y, or Z person.

In my experience, here's where things could have gone wrong in my interviews:

Stanford - alumni interview with an alum that you just didn't click with, got unusual/strange questions from, an otherwise okay interview with a weak writeup

HBS - not being congruent with what you wrote in your essays or resume (since the interviewers know your file), coming off as arrogant, not having command of English and being able to express yourself clearly

Wharton - hogging airtime during the team-based discussion, being disagreeable/not a team player with the other participants, not playing any real role during the discussion (steering discussion, generating ideas, keeping track of time w/respect to presentables, a kind devil's advocate, etc)

cinnamontoastcrunch:
surferbarney:

What do you get dinged for at the interviews?

surferbarney, I think it's highly variable what could happen during the interview that would get you a ding. I also think that often times, it's the case that nothing went wrong in the interview at all, but the inn was full and the innkeeper couldn't make room for one more X, Y, or Z person.

In my experience, here's where things could have gone wrong in my interviews:

Stanford - alumni interview with an alum that you just didn't click with, got unusual/strange questions from, an otherwise okay interview with a weak writeup

HBS - not being congruent with what you wrote in your essays or resume (since the interviewers know your file), coming off as arrogant, not having command of English and being able to express yourself clearly

Wharton - hogging airtime during the team-based discussion, being disagreeable/not a team player with the other participants, not playing any real role during the discussion (steering discussion, generating ideas, keeping track of time w/respect to presentables, a kind devil's advocate, etc)

http://ayainsight.co/ Curating the best advice and making it actionable.

Applied: In at: Hog-whart-s Attending:

Congrats to those that got in somewhere, I feel left out I can't put in a brag :(

If only this were like a decade ago and College Confidential...

By the way, y'all hear that Wharton is splitting off from the rest of Ju-penn? Should be interesting. Gets rid of all those pesky outsiders that don't belong.

http://www.thedp.com/article/2013/03/wharton-penn-officially-split-stir…

lasampdoria:
USMC > USA & USMC > USN & USMC > USAF ?

Doubt that.

What I meant was Special Forces in any branch would be the best candidates for B School. But all things being equal, serving in the Marines might look better than the Army > Navy > Air Force. I'm saying this because all Marine Officers have to go through the Basic School, so even a Finance Officer is a trained rifleman/infantry, whereas if you are a non-combat/support officer in the Air Force, there is nothing like TBS.

mongoose:
lasampdoria:

Doubt that.

What I meant was Special Forces in any branch would be the best candidates for B School. But all things being equal, serving in the Marines might look better than the Army > Navy > Air Force. I'm saying this because all Marine Officers have to go through the Basic School, so even a Finance Officer is a trained rifleman/infantry, whereas if you are a non-combat/support officer in the Air Force, there is nothing like TBS.

....edit

mongoose:
lasampdoria:

Doubt that.

MTNGHOST pretty much covered it already but this couldn't be further from the truth. The Army has the most representation at most top business schools, followed by the Navy. Marines and Air Force are pretty comparable. As was already mentioned nobody cares about boot camp, nobody cares about Lieutenant vs Captain. Most people outside the military really don't know and don't care, what matters is the story you can put together. Sure as a support role in the Air Force I couldn't talk about Basic School since I didn't go through it. But I could talk about managing a $120M program with a team of 25+ defense contractors working for me. Which has more applicability for Business School, infantry training or managing cost/schedule/performance of a large business contract?

mongoose:
lasampdoria:

Doubt that.

Oh ok. I was not aware of this. Thanks mongoose

"Come at me, bro"- José de Palafox y Melci

shorttheworld:
Board of trustees subcommittee, multiple mentorship initiatives both at alma mater and in inner city, life story which you can read on here, and yes was in a bunch o schools last year and year prior but had opportunity to angel invest and work at startup in São Paulo so I took or for the past year

How much $ from Booth?

Battleship:
how is London Business School perceived on these forums?

a guy I know had both HBS and LBS offers (like 3 years ago), but LBS offered him a full scholarship is he absolutely crazy because he took LBS over HBS?

Was he hoping to work in Europe post-MBA? Did he not want to give up two years of his life/career?

If so, then he's not completely crazy. That said, I don't understand people who apply to both 1-year Euro programs and 2-year American ones -- they both offer very different experiences.

shorttheworld:
LBS is two years, i know there are a few who turn down HBS for LBS each year -- LBS is very strong in euro and asia so might just depend.

I thought most people did the 15 month track? (I imagine my ignorance is about to be smushed into my face here.)

KaySpectre:
Accepted: HBS, Wharton, Stanford, Booth (applied as backup)

Decision: Stanford

stats?

If your dreams don't scare you, then they are not big enough. "There are two types of people in this world: People who say they pee in the shower, and dirty fucking liars."-Louis C.K.

ThaVanBurenBoyz:
FeelingMean:
Not one Yale applicant... Interesting.
There was one on the first page.

Yea I missed it the first time around... So two total lol. Just find it curious.

"That dude is so haole, he don't even have any breath left."

Applied to Duke, Yale, Darden, and Tuck

In at Duke In at Tuck In at Darden ( w/ full ride) Waitlisted at Yale

Will be attending Tuck

Stats: Age 32, URM, 3.5 gpa, 700 GMAT, Military veteran, 8 yrs Corporate Finance experience at 2 Blue Chip Companies (with a promotion at each)

Congrats to everyone headed somewhere this fall.

So what's the deal with Yale? For all the hype it's been getting Lately I had expected to see more bandwagon jumpers

bamb92:
Applied to Harvard and Stanford Deferred Program Dinged at HBS without interview In at Stanford

GRE Q800 V630 GPA 3.65

Could you list some other stats? like Target /non target school, major, internship, and leadership activities?

Congrats to all you guys!!!

Applied to just about each of the top 10 schools, (LOL I know... a bit excessive). I got into all except H/S... Got a lot of money and some full-rides from schools but decided on WHARTON (half-tuition fellowship). WG'15

*Also got into the dual degree program with Harvard Kennedy and may accept that offer depending on a few questions I have for them.

Stats: Age 26, multi-racial U/G - Cal State Univ 3.47GPA Business, Finance; GMAT - 750 50Q 42V 6.0AWA; W/E - 6 years post grad in sales/investment advising/wealth mgmt and music/entertainment entrepreneur Associations - MLT / Toigo / Consortium Fellow; Community/Volunteer - Summer teaching in China, Net Impact Chapter President

Best of luck to everyone still waiting to hear decisions or who is working his/her way off of the waitlists!

Applied to HBS, Wharton, and Kellogg One-Year HBS - dinged before interview Wharton - waitlist after interview Kellogg 1Y - in, and the prospect of one year is really attractive

looks like Kellogg

I had a 3.7 at a state school, 710 GMAT, 2 years MM IB and 3 years MM PE

lefty270:
Applied to HBS, Wharton, and Kellogg One-Year HBS - dinged before interview Wharton - waitlist after interview Kellogg 1Y - in, and the prospect of one year is really attractive

looks like Kellogg

I had a 3.7 at a state school, 710 GMAT, 2 years MM IB and 3 years MM PE

You'll have to keep us posted on Kellogg's 1-year program. Maybe 1 year programs will be the next big development in b-schools across the US.

Congrats to those of you who got into these great MBA programs. I hope to be in the same situation one day. To prepare for that, I have a couple of questions. What undergraduate schools did you attend? Around what GPA did you carry through college? Lastly, what kind of extracurriculars or clubs were you a part of? Any info you can give would be much appreciated.

nviers13:
Congrats to those of you who got into these great MBA programs. I hope to be in the same situation one day. To prepare for that, I have a couple of questions. What undergraduate schools did you attend? Around what GPA did you carry through college? Lastly, what kind of extracurriculars or clubs were you a part of? Any info you can give would be much appreciated.
GPA: 3.8 - 4.0 at a Top 50 USNews school ECs: Not sure if you mean college or post-college, but during school, I worked to finance my education. After graduating, I did some miscellaneous stuff (volunteering, rec basketball, committees at work).

Hope that helps!

kingfalcon:
nviers13:
GPA: 3.8 - 4.0 at a Top 50 USNews school ECs: Not sure if you mean college or post-college, but during school, I worked to finance my education. After graduating, I did some miscellaneous stuff (volunteering, rec basketball, committees at work).

Hope that helps!

This ECs point concerns me a lot. I am in college right now, but have been working throughout college to support myself, which does not leave any time for ECs. I hope this does not end up hurting me in the B School admissions process.

Yea it makes sense when you put it that way. I just thought there might be a little more attention with the opening of the new building/Edward Snyder/moving up in the rankings, etc. I always found their "integrated" approach personally appealing. Can't really imagine paying that price though... I feel like you can get more bang for your 150,000 bucks elsewhere.

From what I've heard, the new dean and the updates to campus have been good for Yale SOM.

I think it's going to take time for it to establish itself as an M7 school. The hard numbers are good, but it'll take time for it to develop the powerful, far-reaching alumni base (school was founded in 1975) that older schools currently enjoy.

Amet nam dignissimos expedita molestias aut ex. Quaerat nostrum vel minus et nesciunt. Fugit inventore quo alias ducimus cupiditate cumque.

Modi ratione ducimus vel alias. Minima non ea quia. In explicabo vel corrupti eum maiores. Omnis mollitia rerum libero earum maiores beatae corrupti. Sint est sequi velit dolorum ea nesciunt at quasi.

Nisi sed et consequatur. Doloribus eligendi qui et non voluptatibus hic esse. Libero inventore est at provident magni.

Quas et deleniti molestiae rerum et. Aut deleniti culpa fuga ex. Neque hic debitis voluptate totam quia qui.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan

Placeat quis impedit sint delectus. Sit minima et aliquid blanditiis. Libero et voluptas aut nihil quia pariatur. Deleniti ullam enim ut iusto dicta. Voluptatem sunt ut sunt ut dolore aperiam at ducimus.

Aut ipsam fugit sed provident tempora expedita ducimus hic. Et eos adipisci distinctio est quidem qui. Sed earum aspernatur voluptatem deserunt sint. Quia quas est aut iusto assumenda quos. Ut ut esse maxime qui molestiae error.

Minima quis nisi dicta eius earum. Laboriosam aliquam inventore ut iusto nostrum est. Hic reiciendis et non dolores. Deleniti impedit excepturi corporis voluptas. Minus porro qui soluta. Architecto velit optio tempore eligendi ipsa et.

Dolor impedit enim id error nemo quis adipisci. Ut laboriosam quia omnis vel.

Est nesciunt voluptates possimus ut. Rerum atque et nihil aut aut.

Dolores sapiente rerum ipsa reprehenderit amet. Nam et eum voluptatem hic. Sint veritatis quas molestiae rem. In omnis mollitia molestiae nobis aut delectus vel molestiae. Sunt quibusdam tenetur ut dolorum. Omnis et minus maiores quae ut illo. Porro ut labore placeat quae saepe harum.

Nobis rerum nobis sunt distinctio voluptates omnis officiis. Ut possimus vitae ut aut voluptas quod. Veritatis a suscipit impedit eum.

Officiis qui nesciunt molestiae voluptatibus. Eum sunt et sint id est. Nisi laudantium aut similique libero a ut qui odio.

Tenetur qui aut nam assumenda. Quibusdam sequi quibusdam libero eaque. Necessitatibus aut quis necessitatibus sunt. Cupiditate quaerat dolor ab similique. Quis maxime inventore enim libero dolor possimus fugit.

Autem et ullam illum minima enim. Est quas dolorem non quo. Aliquam sint porro quas nisi quia dolore.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan

Similique dolor eum sed libero praesentium ratione modi. Qui ut incidunt itaque corrupti.

Quisquam et saepe itaque sed. Non beatae sequi cum nisi. Magni porro nihil illum pariatur ipsa dolores aut pariatur. Quisquam ratione qui ipsam cum. Totam sit fuga et totam consequatur unde. Reprehenderit odio hic omnis sit sequi quas.

Ducimus magnam eum ut laborum voluptatum aliquam voluptas. Voluptas necessitatibus placeat ut adipisci. Praesentium cum accusamus et voluptates fugit. Consequuntur vero incidunt itaque et odit molestiae.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”