MBA in US/UK - Profile Evaluation: 27 Male, Dutch, 750 GMAT, 3.85 GPA, PE Associate at SWF

Nationality: Netherlands
Sex: Male
Languages: English (Native), Dutch (Native), French (Fluent)
Education: Bachelors in Economics and Mathematics (double major) from a T25 private school in the US
GPA: 3.85/4.00
GMAT: 750
Awards: Handful of Economics department awards for senior class (best thesis, academic excellence, etc.)

Work experience:
- 3 years as an associate in the private equity arm of one of the world’s largest sovereign wealth funds, was able to be a part of the build-out and ramping of their directs investing efforts (think ADIA, GIC, Temasek)
- 2 years as an analyst in a top EB healthcare investment banking group in NYC

International exposure: Worked in the nation of the sovereign wealth fund (UAE / Singapore) for 3 years

ECs:
- Student Government Senator
- President of Investment Banking Club in college

Post-MBA goals:
Work in either US or Europe in private equity or impact investing

Schools that I'm considering applying to:
Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, Columbia, MIT Sloan, Oxford, Cambridge, LBS, NYU
- I especially am interested in Harvard / Stanford, so I am trying to find a way to differentiate my application (see below)

Purpose/questions:
I’m particularly passionate about healthcare access for underserved/insecure populations, having grown up in a developing country with a grossly unequal healthcare system and spending a great deal of time volunteering in rural clinics as a high school student. I would like to orient my experience towards building out healthcare infrastructure/networks in places that need it the most. This is my long-term goal – my thinking is that a career in private equity equips me with the investing and operating acumen, and relationships across the business world, needed to do something at least meaningful in pursuit of this objective. I would like to do an MBA at one of these schools (preferably H/S) because of the network of professionals and leaders it would expose me to, which is something I think I am missing from my alma mater. My concern with my profile is with differentiation and ECs – what can I do to distinguish myself further? Does my list make sense given my background?

Thank you in advance for any advice/feedback.

Most Helpful

Hello PeterParkour,

Sounds like you've jumped around.

You are a competitive applicant at your target programs and are applying appropriately. Your background work experience, not to mention your goals, distinguish you. Tell your story effectively, and I'm optimistic about your chances of acceptance, even for H/S.

I'm actually being interviewed tomorrow by P&Q's John Byrne on Harvard/Stanford/Wharton admissions. If you are interested, you can register here.

Here are other resources for you:

Have you considered Wharton's Healthcare Management Program?

One suggestion: Clarify how you intend to move from PE to achieving your healthcare goals. do you want to do this on the side? Do you intend to set up a fund to invest in entities that align with your goals? You don't have to do this for me here and now, but for your app, it should be clearer.

Best, Linda

Linda Abraham President, Accepted | Contact Me | Admissions Consulting

Hi Linda, thank you very much for the feedback! I have registered for the P&Q talk, and look forward to tuning in, especially hopeful to hear any insights into what these schools look for re: story-telling.

I will take a look at Wharton's HMP, I was not aware of it before.

Re my plans, I would like to set up a fund to invest in organizations attempting to tackle these issues; I have also given consideration to starting a company given the right idea and timing. I see these as two avenues for my goal which is expanding access to insecure/underserved populations. Do you recommend selecting one and focusing on that? I like the power of specificity when I am writing something, but am cognizant of not over-committing. Thanks again!

As long as your goal is feasible and real, you don't have to worry about over-committing because you are committing to absolutely nothing. In general, I like to have clients focus on a goal, perhaps with a related Plan B. That depends on the client and the question he or she is responding to.

Look forward to "seeing" you tomorrow at the P&Q event! Glad you found something useful in my response.

Best, Linda

Linda Abraham President, Accepted | Contact Me | Admissions Consulting

Saepe a aut consequatur ipsam omnis assumenda. Quisquam maxime molestias ipsa magnam eveniet vero. Sequi quaerat molestiae deleniti in molestiae. Et qui quam ut nihil ut magni. Pariatur et ut at tempora. Aut sit vel nulla quo rerum et.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
numi's picture
numi
Kenny_Powers_CFA's picture
Kenny_Powers_CFA
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”