McKinsey vs Bain London for post MBA? (2019)

Hi everyone! I'm looking for your advice as I just finished my MBA recruiting process and now have to decide between McKinsey and Bain offers in London. To be quite honest, I like the Bain team better, prefer their local staffing model, have been offered a higher salary, and feel there is greater support for consultants based on conversations with their HR team. However, I don’t know if turning down an offer from McKinsey is a smart choice due to the prestige of the firm and the potential future opportunities that may derive from that. (In other words, am I really crazy for considering turning down McKinsey for Bain? A lot of my MBA colleagues think I am!). This is also confusing given that I am not set on any post-consulting industry, and would love to do both finance / PE work and government / social sector.

Therefore, I’d sincerely appreciate your insight on whether the McKinsey reputation can have tangible value for my future career, and / or whether the team and lifestyle differences between both are large and relevant enough in day-t-day life to consider prioritizing Bain for lifestyle reasons.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

P.S: I know this question has been asked before, but I checked the forum and the last time was in 2011, so I expect an 8 year difference will have changed the answers in some way

Most Helpful

In terms of breaking into finance opportunities, I think Bain have more of a history and reputation in terms of PE/IB. I’m not extremely knowledgable on the topic, but, consulting is a team oriented environment and you tend to succeed more when you enjoy your team. If you were to take McKinsey it would be for the wrong reasons, in my opinion.

Array

The difference in reputation is negligible if it exists at all. Both are very strong in London. You can do PE and government work at both, with McKinsey being stronger in government and Bain being stronger in PE.

Molestiae saepe molestias earum facere non sapiente. Et architecto et rerum mollitia. Quam rem adipisci qui accusantium libero assumenda.

Commodi excepturi est dolor cupiditate quam. Veniam et eveniet esse itaque explicabo fuga.

Dolor aut deleniti qui est. Exercitationem qui cum mollitia aut incidunt itaque. Accusamus provident ratione et ea repudiandae similique.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Consulting

• Bain & Company 99.4%
  • McKinsey and Co 98.9%
  • Boston Consulting Group (BCG) 98.3%
  • Oliver Wyman 97.7%
  • LEK Consulting 97.2%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

April 2024 Consulting

• Bain & Company 99.4%
  • Cornerstone Research 98.9%
  • McKinsey and Co 97.7%
  • Oliver Wyman 97.2%

Professional Growth Opportunities

April 2024 Consulting

• Bain & Company 99.4%
  • McKinsey and Co 98.9%
  • Oliver Wyman 97.7%
  • LEK Consulting 97.2%

Total Avg Compensation

April 2024 Consulting

• Partner (4) $368
  • Principal (25) $277
  • Director/MD (55) $270
  • Vice President (47) $246
  • Engagement Manager (100) $226
  • Manager (152) $170
  • 2nd Year Associate (158) $140
  • Senior Consultant (331) $130
  • 3rd+ Year Associate (108) $130
  • Consultant (587) $119
  • 1st Year Associate (538) $119
  • NA (15) $119
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (146) $115
  • Engineer (6) $114
  • 2nd Year Analyst (344) $103
  • Associate Consultant (166) $98
  • 1st Year Analyst (1048) $87
  • Intern/Summer Associate (188) $84
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (551) $67
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”