Mentors vs Sponsors 101 (hopefully a guide one day)

Hey everyone,

Not gonna say i'm successful in my line of work however i've had my fair share of mentors in my life and i thought this would be helpful for everyone on the forum. I recently spoke with my srvp whom i met at a networking breakfast. I thought if my manager didn't give 2 sh*ts about me then, it's worth a try talking to her manager 3 levels up. Very cool guy and he mentioned how he's had mentors (people whom he thought had "cool" jobs that he'd want to try one day) and sponsors (people that he'd reach out to within his workplace or would push your resume 100% of the time for the next role).

Of course the lines get a bit blurred between the two and could be just a title and what not however what has everyone's experience been like with mentors/sponsors? I find it's too awkward to actually ask the formality of "hey can you mentor me" as they'd rather not have the responsibility but would be down to answer all your questions. the other way being through work and they actually offer this type of program and you apply/given one and you take it from there.

TL;DR what's your experience with mentors/sponsors and how did you meet said person?

Best Response

I have met many people I would consider mentors in a broad range of situations. Some of my closest mentors were people at the PE shops Ive worked at, and they are the initial counsel I seek when I feel I need a perspective from someone outside my friend group.

The two more interesting mentors I've come across include someone I met through WSO (not trolling) and at my tiny local gym. Both people were MDs or principals in PE, and the odds of them taking me under their wing were very slim. In the WSO situation, someone seemed willing to offer most people advice, so I shot them a PM and explained my relevant experience, and said that if they didn't mind, I would love to hop on the phone with them for advice ONLY. This person ended up giving me some of the most honest advice, and was someone I think very highly of. They walked me through my options in terms of internships for the fall, spring, and summer of the upcoming year, and helped me weigh the pros and cons of each opportunity. Without asking, they mentioned numerous alumni from my school (we went to different universities) and put me in touch with some people I never would have access to. I did not ask for anything more than advice, and this individual was kind enough to go out on a limb for me. There are more people within the IB/PE/HF industry willing to help out motivated candidates, and I've found that the people in their early 30s do not have kids, and have the time and resources to offer counsel.

In the gym scenario, I was working out headphones in and this guy commented on my T-shirt (from a well known college bar in the midwest). I was annoyed as he kept pushing the conversation, and started to ask me about my career goals. I mentioned finance vaguely, and as I saw him perk up, began explaining I was about to start at a small PE shop. At this point he told me he had run multiple PE shops and HF's and said that he thought I was on a good path. At one point I thought my PE offer might be rescinded (I did not do anything wrong, the company was about to take a certain turn, and suddenly their need for interns was no more). Panicking and without many connections to people in the industry, I called up the guy I met at the gym, and explained my situation. He calmly told me not to worry and that he would reach out to a friend at a MM IB who was the CEO and founder. I was beyond shocked, and couldn't believe it. Long story short, things worked out with the PE fund, and the MM IB was already staffed on interns, but his willingness to help someone he just met is one thing I will never forget.

I guess the point of that long tangent is that one should always be friendly and willing to speak with anyone who works in the industry and seems approachable. Mentors come in all shapes and sizes, and honestly, quite often out of the blue, so acting appropriately in public at all times is important.

When I reach out to anyone, for networking, guidance, to learn about a bank/fund, I put all emphasis on asking for strictly advice. People within the industry are smart, and will help further if they can, and if they think you are worthwhile. By simply asking for advice I go in with minimal expectations and do not change the tone of the conversation from casual to serious by asking for favors (e.g. push my resume, what pull do you have at your firm, can you put me in touch with someone else at firm XYZ).

More than anything else, I consider myself lucky to have been in those situations at the right time, and to have met people who truly wanted to help me put together a strong plan for my career.

Sorry about only getting back to you now but i'm already having struggles reaching out online through LinkedIn, how would I go about actually identifying opportunities like that at a gym. I've been thinking about showing up to my local happy hour and network but that might come off weird.

As the name shows, i've tried reaching out to alumni and it's been tough when your school is a non-target so my options right now are to fire out more messages/attend actual industry networking events that i may have to pay for.

Honestly, I went for a different approach when initially trying to get into banking/PE, and believe you should give it a shot. I reached out to boutiques in smaller cities (e.g. Denver, Houston, Sacramento, etc.) and reached out to the analysts I could find anything in common with. I had a super high response rate but at this point had worked at a small M&A advisory firm and a search fund. If you have taken the time to model and have done any boot camp in your free time, I would try to mention it in your cold message. First position I got (search fund) was through a cold application for an through my schools website, and the second was almost immediately after and was through another cold application. If you are diligent and stick with it, luck will work in your favor. I just "happened" to apply to two places that needed someone with any experience ASAP, and use quotes because the more places you reach out to, the better your odds.

Eos occaecati enim eligendi qui autem aspernatur omnis. Placeat voluptas atque sunt ut mollitia eaque beatae. Velit voluptate ullam deserunt et est dolore.

Quia et quas voluptatem animi. Est eaque maiores id et. Et ex necessitatibus id optio expedita. Eveniet quidem impedit qui magnam. Beatae provident consectetur sit fugiat vel veritatis. Rerum minima et esse nulla officia voluptate.

Accusamus nulla eum autem doloribus veniam. Sunt fugiat ea pariatur aut ad distinctio. Perspiciatis quasi voluptates id.

Expedita voluptatibus voluptatem sunt optio ut. Numquam ipsa inventore nobis. Ea nisi itaque sit consequatur.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
numi's picture
numi
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”