Mimic SP500 with 10 stocks

Does anyone know how I can try to mimic the return of the SP500 with only 10 member stocks. In other words, how would I choose the 10 best stocks that with equal weighting (1/10) would come closest to matching the returns of the entire index?

You could do this mathematically (you will obviously need Excel because of the amount of data involved) -

1.) Download monthly data for the past 5 years for each of the member stocks and the index 2.) Correlate the month over month returns (not prices) of each stock with the index 3.) The 10 stocks with the highest correlations are the 10 you should pick to most closely mimic the index

• Capt K
- Capt K - "Prestige is like a powerful magnet that warps even your beliefs about what you enjoy. If you want to make ambitious people waste their time on errands, bait the hook with prestige." - Paul Graham

Of course, the other, non-empirical way is to try to pick 10 member stocks in 10 different industries to approximate the indexing effect of the S&P500.

Also, you don't need to have access to Bloomberg or anything to get the data you need for my prior post. You can get the data at MSN Money. Install their Excel plugin.

• Capt K
- Capt K - "Prestige is like a powerful magnet that warps even your beliefs about what you enjoy. If you want to make ambitious people waste their time on errands, bait the hook with prestige." - Paul Graham

Yea, why wouldn't you just buy an ETF or a standard index fund...it is certainly the most cost-effective method of mimicking an index

Assuming you are young you should just speculate like me. Mediocrity and average returns are boring. Decide whether you would like to be a LT value investor or a short-term velocity of money kinda guy (or a hybrid).

You could always just leave your money under your mattress...

The question actually sounds more like an assignment for school.

I'm certainly no expert, but assuming you're simply trying to mimic performance of the S&P 500, and that you have to purchase stocks in equivalent increments, it seems like your best bet might be to buy up the 10 largest cap stocks in the index. I believe the top 10 members drive ~20% of the total index.

It also seems like there would be a host of issues associated with relying on historical correlations, not to mention the fact that simply picking based on historical performance ignores the cap weighting of your stocks. Size matters here, since the vast majority of S&P 500 members are too small to drive any meaningful change in the index. You're not necessarily targeting a scenario where each individual stock mimics the S&P any way, but rather one where the group's performance is most closely aligned.

HedgeHog:
look it up

How is that helpful. Yes, I would do it with the stocks betas as compared to the index (as I mentioned above) - so you've given him the first breadcrumb to the answer, but what are the chances he figures it out (correctly) just by googling around?

Posts like yours really don't contribute to the board. Take a minute and explain the answer to someone that really doesn't know, instead of swinging your e-penis around and trying to make yourself look smart.

• Capt K

I agree with Capt K... and the reason he may not be able to just buy ETFs is because it is perhaps for a Finance class. Not sure, just guessing.

Jack: They’re all former investment bankers who were laid off from that economic crisis that Nancy Pelosi caused. They have zero real world skills, but God they work hard. -30 Rock

Revsly:
I agree with Capt K... and the reason he may not be able to just buy ETFs is because it is perhaps for a Finance class. Not sure, just guessing.

Yep, sounded like a homework question to me...

• Capt K

I'd be curious how well it could mimic the S&P with a 10 stock portfolio. I was under the impression that you need around 30 to fully diversify (or rather, diversify to the point where any more is generally wasted transaction costs) the company's diversifiable risk. Anyone care to comment - I'm genuinely curious.

As an aside, when you try to mimic like this, would you constantly be readjusting the % holdings or just let it ride? If so, how often?

Best Response

Alias autem non tenetur quam expedita labore. Dolore rem quo iure. Qui et voluptatem quia doloribus quia ut quo. Ex illo ducimus ut eligendi. Aut iure molestias saepe sit.

Et sunt voluptatem impedit rerum illum. Cupiditate quisquam laboriosam deserunt laudantium voluptatem est. Iusto culpa ut est sapiente neque hic omnis culpa.

Omnis exercitationem quisquam corrupti quia magnam. Porro fugiat a voluptatum enim laborum sunt laudantium. Aut molestiae possimus qui a quo sequi corporis.

Voluptatem nobis in dicta dolor et quaerat. Omnis nesciunt maxime facere commodi nobis soluta est. Repellendus omnis voluptatem nesciunt architecto voluptas asperiores consequatur.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”