MS HK vs GS SF for SA 2012

Want some opinions on which office is more prestigious. Ultimately I want to move onto the buy-side to something like PE in the US or VC in China.

Side question: I can't seem to be able to think of an answer to "Why Barclays?"

:(

Go to GS SF. There's a good chance you will end up at the same place for full time (especially MS HK, which in past years has forced SAs to accept return offers before FT recruiting starts). Getting into China to do VC won't be challenging coming from either MS HK or GS SF, but US PE recruiting from SF is going to be much easier than from HK.

Best Response
seamlessftw:
Go to GS SF. There's a good chance you will end up at the same place for full time (especially MS HK, which in past years has forced SAs to accept return offers before FT recruiting starts). Getting into China to do VC won't be challenging coming from either MS HK or GS SF, but US PE recruiting from SF is going to be much easier than from HK.

This.

In HK, there's less of an official recruiting cycle for PE and it seems like a lot of times people stay on to become associates. HK's a great city, but if you're at MS HK, chances are you'll be pretty damn busy and won't have too much free time to enjoy it. If you have some ties to HK and you know Mandarin, then having GS SF will get the attention of Asian recruiters. The downside is the timezone difference, but it's not a material disadvantage because people do move from US/Can/UK ---> HK, it's not uncommon. Some places also like the "western markets-trained" element and add a premium to that, though not sure if it's as common now because there is a lot of value in having experience and understanding in local Asian markets these days.

Conversely, if you want to do PE in US, because there is generally a more standard recruiting process for the megafunds and large MMs, you'll definitely be at a disadvantage given timezone difference and not being in the US in person for interviews (as there's no shortage of interested candidates). Also, although MS HK is no joke, there is a generalization that junior bankers in Asia pick up less modeling than their US counterparts.

But both are great opportunities (congrats if you've got one or both offers) and you can't really go wrong with either.

As for why Barclays (I'm assuming this is for their online application): do your own homework! : p

seamlessftw:
MS HK, which in past years has forced SAs to accept return offers before FT recruiting starts).
Is this really true? Are they even allowed to do that?

I've spoken to senior people from both offices and I'm pretty much guaranteed interviews for both. I did my freshman year PWM summer internship at the same MS office in Hong Kong, best summer of my life. I'm thinking I could do my Summer in Kowloon and just go from there... unless they force me to accept my return offer O_o

Side note: girls in SF don't care if you're in banking, while girls in HK will be all over you

Corporis labore aperiam aperiam in. Praesentium optio dolorum illum. Minima aliquid incidunt est perferendis. Qui aliquid quis qui velit ut.

Molestiae ut sed sunt rerum quis dolores in sed. Maxime totam rerum fugit explicabo. Id ab aut consequatur consequatur tempora. Molestiae optio eum aspernatur consequatur. Nulla eius rerum maiores animi sed recusandae nesciunt. Provident quae et aut fugit in hic.

Nihil molestias voluptas enim labore. Alias consequatur quibusdam officiis quas. Et eum voluptatibus non velit.

Career Advancement Opportunities

March 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. (++) 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (202) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (144) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
dosk17's picture
dosk17
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”