MSF 2011

Hi,

I am looking to apply to M.Fin/M. Fin Engg programs in the US for 2011. After the program, I wish to work in Risk Management/Equity or Debt Research Roles, basically non-trading jobs. I am from India and have completed my Engineering and MBA. In Engineering, I have 80% (3rd in class of 60). I have done my MBA from IIM Indore, one of the top business schools in India (but am not sure it carries much weightage in US), have a GPA of 3.35 and was a gold medalist.

I have 20 months of experience as a commercial credit analyst in the third largest private bank in India. My gmat score is 760 and GRE 1530. I have cleared CFA Level 1 and FRM. Appearing for Level II in June this year.

I basically am moving to the US since am getting married to a doctor who is doing his residency there. My fiance would move for his fellowship to any of the following places (in order of preference) 1. Vanderbilt 2. Chicago 3. LA 4. Washington Univ at St.Loius.

I want to know what are my chances of getting into Vandy, U Chicago, UIUC, UCLA and how do i rank them?

With your test scores and experience you should have no problem getting into any of those schools. Chicago is the best followed by Vanderbilt and UCLA.

"Greed, in all of its forms; greed for life, for money, for love, for knowledge has marked the upward surge of mankind. And greed, you mark my words, will not only save Teldar Paper, but that other malfunctioning corporation called the USA."

iim indore is not the best iim out there by any stretch of the imagination, but you still have the iim brand. the average person in america wont know what that means, but most bschool adcoms will. you have a fantastic shot at all the schools you listed.

Thanks everyone. Have another query: though I have 20 months have experience, I have stopped working now and am just doing some independent freelancing with companies' credit proposals. I cannot work coz i would be on dependent Visa in the US. Would one year of unemployment hamper my chances or can I explain the visa situation in the applications.

Also regarding the vandy interview, wat are applicants generally judged on?

Best Response

Why not do your MFE at IIM? It's a pretty good program and can get you in the door to a lot of US firms.

With your test scores and experience you should have no problem getting into any of those schools. Chicago is the best followed by Vanderbilt and UCLA.
Quantnet actually has a ranking on this. They are putting Princeton, NYU, CMU, Chicago, and Columbia in the top five for quantitative finance programs.

Vanderbilt and UCLA are also strong, but on the surface, assuming she's got the references from well-published PhDs as well as interviewing skills to back up the GPA and background, I'll put her odds of getting into Chicago's MSFM program north of 50%. Lining up references from IIT or IIM may be as difficult as my experience lining them up at UIUC, but it's definitely possible. I had to go to two quants at work for my remaining references.

Assuming you have the $75K for two years of school, I would also advise that applications at NYU and Princeton may also be worth your time. Princeton will be extremely difficult- they have a 2-3% acceptance rate, but you're a fairly competitive candidate on the surface and the lottery ticket of a chance at acceptance is worth the $70 application fee and three or four hours of work completing the application.

Admissions for most programs at UIUC is heavily based on test scores. Assuming 800 of that 1530 GRE is for the quant section, admission there should be a slam dunk. Frankly, though, there are better financial engineering programs you can attend if you have the money.

1 year of unemployment in the US shouldn't affect your admission process. I have to admit, you have strong credentials (IIM, IIT??) and you have a good chance at any of the aforementioned programs. Your GMAT/GRE scores are also strong so I have no doubt that you will get into a good program. Ofcourse, you would also need to make a strong case for why you want to get a Mfin especially after getting an MBA/PGP but that shouldn't be worrisome.

I am from an IIM but not from IIT. With regards to the reference, i can get one from the dean of MBA program who also happens to teach us Fin Engg. But the second one has to be from work, and there are no quants in my office. Although, i can get a v.good reference from my boss.

Culpa placeat consequatur est. Cupiditate ea minima quia fugit. Voluptas quibusdam aut accusantium repudiandae exercitationem eligendi amet.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
bolo up's picture
bolo up
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”