MSF 2016 dilemma: OSU or UIUC or apply next year?

Hi, I am from SE Asia and was admitted to OSU and UIUC MSF(2016). I find it difficult for me to decide between these two programs and would really like to hear from you.

For OSU MSF, its small class size and higher percentage of domestic students attract me. For UIUC MSF, the school has better QS ranking, but I am really concerned about the unbalanced student composition (composed almost entirely of international students). For both programs, I am concerned about post master job prospect....
After all, it doesn't make economic sense if I end up doing similar back office job after finishing a master's degree.

Here are some of my stats:

Undergraduate : Business major ,GPA: 3.5~last 60 :3.8
GMAT: 720
TOEFL:103
WE: Back office job in investment banking(JP Morgan)
Internship in consulting, 1yr in financial accounting

I also applied to MIT/ USC MSF but was rejected without interview...

I am still waiting for reply from UT and CMU though.

Can anyone kindly provide me some suggestions?

(1) Which program is better overall: OSU or UIUC ?

(2) Should I defer admission, improve my qualification( such as earn CFA ,retake GMAT and TOEFL, or refine my essays) and apply next year? What programs can I add to my list?

Thanks everyone for reading my questions and story. :D
I hope my English writing is easy to understand.

Last but not the least, hope every applicant gets good news from his/her dream school!!!

I don't think an improved GMAT is going to really help you. I'm curious though why you only go into those two programs with your stats. I'd imagine you would have gotten into say Duke WUSTL. BC, UTA, etc.

Did you get any scholarship money?

To TNA:

Thank you so much for your reply :D

Among the programs you mentioned, UT is the only program that I applied to. Maybe I should try applying to more

programs to have a better chance. However, I personally know some MSF/ MBA applicants that have outstanding

qualifications but can't make it into tier 1 business graduate schools. I believe that just explains how competitive it is

now to enter top finance programs : (

OSU offered me a $10,000 scholarship, but it is not going to affect my decision anyway.

Illinois programmer: thanks for your feedback. I guess the oreason why I did not apply to vandy and Nova is that , as a SE Asian, I haven't really heard of them before my msf application. But, as I do more and more research on msf, I find these programs highly regarded in the US. It's kind of late at this moment for me to apply to these programs, but I can try it next year. (Probably start submitting in the fall of 2015) :D

Just as a reference I think you have a shot at Vandy. I had similar stats -lower gpa, higher GMAT, less work exp than you, international- and I was offered admission (which I accepted). Shoot me a pm if you have any questions.

Ha! Finally UIUC gets some respect on WSO. This forum needs more people outside of the US (and NYC region) showing up asking "What's Vanderbilt?" "I've never heard of Cornell, but UIUC grads are everywhere." and "Are you sure NYU isn't a state school?" :D

Have you considered financial engineering? If you have the math classes, that may be another option for you. Cornell, UC Berkeley, CMU are not out of the question if you have the math courses and good grades from undergrad.

To IlliniProgrammer :

I am very interested in FE and currently taking C++ classes on the weekend ( currently have a back office full time job in IB)

My UG major was business administration, and the few math courses I have taken were calculus, stats, business math, and Econometrics. Is it possible for applicants from business background to make it to top MFE and really transition to quantitative finance?

What steps can I take to make myself more competitive in this field?

For example: taking GRE math subject test, enter UIUC MSF ( admitted) and apply for a dual degree in MFE?

Thanks for your help !! : )

IlliniProgrammer:

Ha! Finally UIUC gets some respect on WSO. This forum needs more people outside of the US (and NYC region) showing up asking "What's Vanderbilt?" "I've never heard of Cornell, but UIUC grads are everywhere." and "Are you sure NYU isn't a state school?" :D

Have you considered financial engineering? If you have the math classes, that may be another option for you. Cornell, UC Berkeley, CMU are not out of the question if you have the math courses and good grades from undergrad.

I-L-L

da chief:
IlliniProgrammer:

I-L-L

I-N-I

Best Response

Dolorum earum eum nam et necessitatibus. Error quia sit minima omnis praesentium ea accusantium. Natus ea accusantium et dolorem ut. Quam voluptas qui rerum voluptas.

Explicabo molestiae soluta pariatur officiis repellendus sequi omnis. Excepturi doloremque quis et. Dolor ea facilis impedit labore.

Esse et sequi ut maiores fugiat ipsa. Sed rerum numquam quia aut hic.

Eum unde placeat recusandae aliquam ex rerum. Aut recusandae et ut et eum. Omnis quia ut voluptatem dolorem.

Career Advancement Opportunities

March 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. (++) 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (202) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (144) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”