Multiple internships on my CV but no stability. Graduated in 2018 end. How do I get into the Big 4 or corporate finance roles and what do I do about the lack of stability on my CV?

I have 3 internships at ft500 firms in analytics, corporate finance and market intelligence. I also have acted as an external consultant for a brand owned by one of the largest PE firms in the world and a very large global IT services firm. Apart from that I have also worked for a year at a brand management startup. The longest position I have held is that startup position. 

For the global IT services firm I worked for a project that lasted a month, same for that PE owned brand. My internship in analytics has been for 5 months. Unfortunately I still don't know what to do but I need a stable job.

I am planning to do a master's in corporate finance from Cass. With such an experience can I break into any of the big 4 roles or consulting roles? 

is this your 15th thread? You're going to get the same advice each time.

I am wondering how I will get a job because most firms I talked to are saying that I don't have any stability in my CV. Where do I start working? The only way out is a master's that's why I am creating so many threads as I can't find a job 

Why aren't you able to keep working at the startup? Did you quit or get fired? You're jumping around way too much with internships in three completely different industries. If I were in your shoes, I would have done everything in my power to stay at the startup for a few more years and then lateral into consulting or get a MBA.  

Most Helpful

Peaky_Blinders

Why aren't you able to keep working at the startup? Did you quit or get fired? You're jumping around way too much with internships in three completely different industries. If I were in your shoes, I would have done everything in my power to stay at the startup for a few more years and then lateral into consulting or get a MBA.  

I didn't get fired but the boss told me that I deserve better. He got me an internship at a top firm in the industry I am in but unfortunately they said that I can continue my "internship" however long I want to but since they are a regional office and they basically follow directives from the head office in France, they don't have a full time position for me. The analytics department is non existent in the firm and it just consists of me. However the firm is a European household name tbh. I was planning to do a master's tbh and switch to a big 4. Thought about going in for an MiM in Ireland at UCD and get a consulting job there because for people from my country they do offer a 3 year post study work visa. Still way better than what I have available in my country tbh. What is your suggestion?

My advice is similar to the one that you've been getting on this forum. A full-time job in finance is always better than a master's unless we're talking about the cream of the crop (MIT Mfin, LBS MFA, etc.). Even a lot of students in LBS MFA are struggling to get shitty internships this year, showing how difficult recruiting is. Honestly, I would reach back out to your boss at the startup and ask if you can return or if he can refer you to another firm. I know you want to do a master's, but none of the schools you have offers from are targets. Going to Cass is a massive risk especially given the time commitment and costs. Just because you know a couple of people who graduated from those programs and got good offers doesn't mean that's the majority of the case. 

Peaky_Blinders

My advice is similar to the one that you've been getting on this forum. A full-time job in finance is always better than a master's unless we're talking about the cream of the crop (MIT Mfin, LBS MFA, etc.). Even a lot of students in LBS MFA are struggling to get shitty internships this year, showing how difficult recruiting is. Honestly, I would reach back out to your boss at the startup and ask if you can return or if he can refer you to another firm. I know you want to do a master's, but none of the schools you have offers from are targets. Going to Cass is a massive risk especially given the time commitment and costs. Just because you know a couple of people who graduated from those programs and got good offers doesn't mean that's the majority of the case. 

Tbh I don't know anyone from Cass who got a good job as an international. You are right. However I do know people from my country who graduated from 2nd tier unis in the US in analytics and got 100k + jobs. What about a second tier MBA? I find it hard to believe that only internationals who go to Harvard or Wharton find jobs and the rest come back home. Cass is 30k which is a bad investment as an international tbh as I went over the linkedin profils of Asians from Cass and they are working at shitty startups back in their home countries so definitely the US or Canada I'd a better option for an international. Even I know many of my bocconi undergrad friends are struggling to find jobs after LBS and imperial this year

Optio quibusdam eos eius. Eaque aliquam vero eligendi consequuntur repellendus repudiandae. Illo non quaerat architecto minima qui. Eveniet sed et et officiis dignissimos voluptatum. Quibusdam fuga quae quibusdam autem autem id.

Career Advancement Opportunities

March 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. (++) 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (202) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (144) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
dosk17's picture
dosk17
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”