My Take on Deciding Between Top Summer Analyst Offers

I recently gave a piece of advice to a buddy's younger brother who was choosing between some great SA offers. I wanted to share it with all you young masters of the universe as well.

In this specific case, my friend's brother was choosing between two great EBs. One that people on this site fetish over (think EVR M&A/PJT R&R/CVP M&A), and another fantastic EB, but maybe not with the same "gold standard" allure as one of the places I mentioned. I actually urged him to go with the "lesser" firm. The primary reason being that he had some mentors there, at both a senior and junior level, who he had built long relationships with, and who would do their best to guide him through the IB minefield. He didn't have that at the slightly more prestigious firm.

I know everyone is obsessed with prestige, but at the end of the day when considering multiple offers, I think people really need to focus on which situation they will be more successful in. Sometimes having a close mentor you can speak with off-the-record for guidance can be all the difference in your analyst experience, and can be the key to being at the top of your class.

There comes a point where the differences between lots of firms are minimal, even though people on this site like to split hairs. When I went through PE recruiting I can say first hand that across the EBs pretty much every buyside opportunity is open to every strong analyst.

If you are someone with great offers in hand, then congrats, that is truly a fantastic accomplishment! The skills gained, and the doors opened to you are all stellar at lots of the top firms and top groups. Now, when picking between your offers, make sure you consider where you feel you will be most successful. This is so overlooked, and answering that question honestly should help steer you in the right direction.

+1. I've always said that the difference between some of top groups is minimal. For one, being able to land offers at top groups says a lot about the person (in most cases) so you'll be able to do well for yourself no matter where you go. Top groups aside, I also think that if the difference between two offers are marginal, whether its a 5k salary difference, a slightly more "prestigious" group etc, just go with the people you like more.

Best Response

Absolutely agree with this and in fact I made a very similar choice as your brother did. I formed a very close relationship with an MD during my recruiting process at the firm I chose and he esentially acted as a mentor throughout recruiting and my summer internship as well. Through him I got an "in" through all levels at the firm, getting to network with partners earlier than my internship class and networking with the top-bucket analysts at the firm way before my internship even started. Yes the EB I choce is slightly less "prestigious" than my other offers, but I saw myself thriving way more due to my connections. This became evident even during the summer, as my connections throughout the firm allowed me to get the top-quality staffings and more modeling work throughout the summer. I imagine that during FT, the connections I forged at the senior level will go a long way for recruiting, where I can feel comfortable asking an MD or partner for a referral to a top buyside shop. Of course, my experience is anecdotal, but I think it shows how decisions can't be made by surface level factors like prestige or exit opps when the difference is not significant.

+1. Wish I could do +2. This is great advice.

"I'm talking about liquid. Rich enough to have your own jet. Rich enough not to waste time. Fifty, a hundred million dollars, buddy. A player. Or nothing. " -GG

Just FYI you don't actually research specific stocks or investments in investment consulting its just asset allocation, asset class research and manager research. So basically you'll just be picking the asset management companies/fund managers you want to actually manage the assets you have, which asset classes to invest in and how much. I found it to be incredibly boring.

However if you have no previous finance experience and want to pursue finance long-term, the investment consulting internship sounds like it would be better experience than working for the start up.

Agree with Karlsson on the finance aspect. Although you say it is twice as far as the software company, you will be able to leverage it as some type of financial experience. I would say it is a step up from PWM but not that big of a step.

But it all depends on what you are looking at after you graduate. I was 100% focused on finding a finance position so I would take option A hands down...Especially if you could land a full time offer. Having a full time back up option was a very nice luxury I had in school. The back up offer sucked and I didn't want it but it allowed me to turn down some other offers you will find during your senior year.

Also, remember that Option A is a networking/smoozing career. You make more money by getting larger clients and taking over smaller clients that PM's can't handle. I've seen first hand guys become very successful but the PWM roles can be very hard to start if the firm is very "eat what you kill" focused.

Sum it up: I chose something very similar to Option A in college.

Option 1 is a safer bet for putting yourself in the door in finance. At least we know for certain what you did. Would likely make it quite difficult to get a bulge bracket with either choice but the first one offers up more chances in finance.

Not sure what your long-term career aspirations are but unless the second option is going to each you something where you can go all in on a start up it makes more sense to choose a finance job.

This is a tough one.

I am far from an expert on b-school admissions, but I feel like firm B probably has a more likeable story. You might want to run that one by Betsy Massar. I think that one makes it harder to transition to a financial company though. I think you don't want to underestimate the colleague situation early in your career. It won't be as much fun hanging around a bunch of old married people.

The only thing I would say about firm A is not to choose it solely because of the manager....that lady may not be there forever. Maybe you could work at one of the investment managers at some point down the road if you hit it off with them. I couldn't handicap your odds though.

Good luck.

Wow, thanks for the replies.

Just a couple of things - The thing that deters me from Firm A is the fact that it does not at all seem to be an "eat what you kill" type of place. I feel like it is so tame. I only met with them a few times, but it seems like there is little to no analysis, and they basically just set people up based on a very simple plan: "You are 30. You should have 30% in bonds and 70% in stocks. When you are 40, you should have 40% in bonds and 60% in stocks, etc. We will basically choose one of 5 or so stocks (basically IBM as far as I could tell) for your portfolio." - - - - The best way I can describe it is "point and click". It just seems... too easy lol. And that's why I was wondering if it is a good option. I must say though, being a portfolio analyst there seems like a sweet gig.

For me it just comes down to "Which one will give me skills that make me a marketable candidate?" That's when I have second thoughts about Firm A. As others mentioned, at least people would know what I was doing though....

For the record, I have zero chance at a BB, and am not really concerned with that. Also, I am looking at something like the UVA Commerce degree, or the Duke MMS, or a MSF at one of the schools frequently mentioned on here... The MBA would come later on, if it ever does, and it would probably be an "M7 or Bust" deal. I am pretty far removed from "The Track." Getting a masters at a school that people have heard of would probably be enough for me to be happy/make it work.

Thanks again for the replies.

"That dude is so haole, he don't even have any breath left."

yes.

i know the ib and er one are the best, but both are unpaid at a boutique whereas the commercial banking ones are at legit BB's and pay well. and the bus dev one is in malibu ca so there is a locational bonus. what about blackrock fma? it was the most competitive one and its in nyc.

im not exactly sure what i want to get into yet so im just picking the "best" one.

I would tend to agree, but India's not a place you just go to and live for three months at a moment's notice: there are Visa's involved, I wouldn't even begin to be able to tell someone how housing would work unless the company supplies it, you should get shots and (I've been there probably a couple dozen times), if you're not from there it's a pretty rough place to go for extended periods. And by rough I don't mean Crips and Bloods doing drive-by's, but the poverty is pretty shocking for those from the developed world if they've never been before and committing to spending 2-3 months there without ever seeing it as a 20 year old could be quite shocking. I didn't go until I was in my later 20's and I had been to many places, including multiple less developed countries and India was still a shock. I'm not denigrating India in any way, but it's not like taking an internship in another country and culture like Spain or even Thailand if the OP is from the US. If he's from India, definitely go for it because it's probably the best option for consulting.

I agree, seeing different parts of the world and opening yourself up is great and I wouldn't trade in my experiences of going to India even though I saw a grown man take a crap on the street right next to my car...

But, and this is simply making an assumption about the OP and I very well could be wrong, if this is a college kid from Connecticut whose travel, like many Americans, has been limited to the Continental US, Caribbean and his semester in London and traveling western Europe (which is actually far more travel than most Americans), going to India for a week could be eye opening, but committing to a few months could be pretty tough. Just my opinion though.

I never said it would be easy...but doing things that are tough/uncomfortable are how people grow and improve themselves. I can't think of a worse life than one spent inside a tight comfort zone with no exploration/adventure (or whatever you want to call it).

Clearly up to OP to make the final decision, but the India internship is by far and away the better option (all things considered).

Have you already taken this up OP? Infosys Consulting is prestigious allright but its nowhere as close to MBB's or even mid tier consulting firms. Speaking from close experience. But yeah, India might me a good thing to show on your resume.Diverse experiences, they say :)

This part of my life. . .is called "Running"

and oh yeah just to address your worries, if you have any, Infy will provide you with accomodation for the full duration of your stay. And Infosys campuses are micro-cities in themselves. You wont see the scary India they mention everywhere here (it's not that bad). It's like the Google offices, with golf karts and bicycles and all. Hope this helps!

This part of my life. . .is called "Running"

tonychokerromo:
I’m actually really interested in the shipping/freight trading industry. However I think the former is a little more relevant to what I’m presently aspiring towards (IBD or F500 corporate finance).

If you are really interested in something then do it.

"The way to make money is to buy when blood is running in the streets." -John D. Rockefeller

RIA sounds like something that is very common and every fresh/soph has on their resume. The shipbrokering sounds pretty cool though. In the end, you need to determine if you are interested in the shipping/freight industry.

Array

To nontarget: The hedge fund purely trades equity. The firm puts a lof of focus on fundamental analysis and they generally holds a position at least 6 months. They do not have any quants or traders.

To WillATX:

Honestly, I don't know yet..... I would like to have a decent job with a very good work/life balance. I could never let go my health, family and friends. I kind of want to become a sales trader ... I heard it is much better than most of the positions in the sell side. Nonetheless, I do not mind working in the buy side as well, though the performance of the fund is crucial for the possible payments.

I am a sales trader brew, go to the hedge fund gig.

If that is what you want to do, no need for you to go and bust your ass in IBD; if you do a good job at the hedge fund they will put you on one of the floor of the sell side they deal with; as an intern first but at least it will be your way in into equity S&T (but people shout at you a lot and you have to take a LOT of shit, so dunno how good it is for you depending on your health condition). But again depends what hedge fund. If you want you can PM me the name and I'll tell you what I think of them (I am on gardening leave and doing fuck all, so plenty of time on my hands).

That said - IBD is quite nice as it gives you a nice kick up your ass and will allow you to open up to a lot of career paths. Is your health ok at the moment? If you are still recovering I doubt all nighters is a good idea, and then I would definitely go to the hedge fund gig.

Definitely not #3. Between #1 and #2, if you are shooting for BB IBD next year, I would take #1. While PE experience is definitely relevant (probably more than any other internship except IBD/S&T), IBD is IBD and your skills will probably be the most transferable. Plus it gives you an easy answer to the "Why IBD" question that you're bound to get at almost every single interview.

My guess is BAML Wealth Management - a lot of people use that as a ladder to BB IBD.

Anyways, will probably say boutique IBD firm, since you say you'll get to see some live deals and the deal flow is good. Not many people have that experience going into junior SA recruiting, so you'll be ahead in that respect.

HOWEVER, my guess is that you're trying to go PE right out of undergrad. I would say that it's better to do your two-year stint and get in as an associate as opposed to an analyst - both for comp and for firm reasons. If you do the MM PE, I assume you'll be trying for PE SA and full-time positions right out of undergrad, which is difficult but not unheard of if you have previous PE exp. All in all, you'll have a better chance @ full time if you go to the best branded IBD for junior SA. I know it sounds stupid, but brand name for full-time right out of undergrad means A LOT.

Thanks for the input guys. #3 is JPM/GS/MS Asset Management but I've pretty much ruled that out.

I am pretty set on doing an IBD stint unless I get Blackstone/Bain Capital/Apollo etc. or HFs of a similar nature out of undergrad and will definitely be going through the IBD SA recruiting process next year. The reasons why I'm pretty conflicted between the other two offers right now is 1. the boutique bank is pretty small and relatively unknown whereas the PE firm has some pedigree with a few partners with extremely impressive backgrounds and 2. from my various rounds of interviews with the 2, definitely preferred the people/culture at the PE firm, though I didn't get a negative impression from the boutique either.

I am pretty confident that I can answer the "Why banking" and "Why banking if you've already done PE" questions well and am really just curious about how much of a difference the two would have with regards to recruiting outside of that question.

I think it comes down to branding in this case. If you are looking at a place like Audax/Monitor Clipper then I'd go with that over a no name shop. If its a specialized boutique with clout like an Allen&Co, I'd make sure that they specialize in a group that you would want to work in (i.e. a group that your resume reader works in). Even then, it would be a toss up for me.

jnaz:
I think it comes down to branding in this case. If you are looking at a place like Audax/Monitor Clipper then I'd go with that over a no name shop. If its a specialized boutique with clout like an Allen&Co, I'd make sure that they specialize in a group that you would want to work in (i.e. a group that your resume reader works in). Even then, it would be a toss up for me.
The PE shop is very similar to Audax/Monitor Clipper and the boutique is definitely not like Allen&Co, which is why I'm having difficulty deciding. Obviously the IBD is directly transferable but the PE one is a great name/unique opportunity.

If that is the case the banks will likely know that the Audax/Clipper offer is more selective than a BB. Also, if you have such a PE offer, why not just sit on it. Most people on WSO would rather be there than BB IBD. B-School exits are better and you'll have an easier time lateraling to a bigger firm. (let's say FT recruiting doesn't work out...where would you rather be?)

jnaz:
If that is the case the banks will likely know that the Audax/Clipper offer is more selective than a BB. Also, if you have such a PE offer, why not just sit on it. Most people on WSO would rather be there than BB IBD. B-School exits are better and you'll have an easier time lateraling to a bigger firm. (let's say FT recruiting doesn't work out...where would you rather be?)

Personally I'm more interested in the HF space, and would love to be working at an ESL/Elliott/Third Point type of activist fund. Obviously near impossible to land at one of those funds out of undergrad so I'm pursuing the more traditional IB route. However, I don't have any experience in PE and may discover that I love it in which case I'd probably recruit for PE straight out of undergrad.

Go for the MM PE, it won't hurt you. It might even help differentiate you during junior recruiting compared to everyone who worked at no-name firms. I did boutique IBD sophomore spring and MM PE sophomore summer. Ended up with offers from both GS and MS after junior recruiting. I was asked some questions about why IBD over PE but those were fairly easy to answer.

An added bonus is that you said you like the culture more and the pay is better. Also, analysts/associates might even be more likely to pull your resume for interviews if they themselves want to jump over to PE and are interested in that firm. This forum seems to really emphasize IBD > anything else but that's not necessarily true based on my experiences.

Exactly. To do that type of work, which is really long term investing that mirrors PE, why not work in PE. You don't hear a lot out of PE firms in terms of pre-MBA exits because most are not that lucky to find themselves in their ranks. Honestly, you will be able to blaze your own trails. However, make sure that the firm offers returns. I recently turned down a PE offer because they explicitly stated that they do not offer returns. One of the hardest decisions I had to make.

I'd say the 2 main factors here are modeling exposure and the personal networks of your prospective colleagues.

If you get to work with a senior guy who's willing to refer you to his friends at BB's or top boutiques, that can be huge.

The firm does offer returns as they usually recruit from H/W for junior SA gigs and have a few analysts.

I landed the internship with a combination of OCR/personal network, OCR in that the firm recruits at my school and my personal network allowed me to be put in consideration as a sophomore rather than junior.

Thanks for all the input guys, I'm leaning toward the PE firm right now.

boutique IBD. IB > non-IB for IB recruiting, especially at such a junior level (i.e. soph internship).

"They are all former investment bankers that were laid off in the economic collapse that Nancy Pelosi caused. They have no marketable skills, but by God they work hard."

I'll be getting better modeling/valuation experience at a much more respected name at the PE firm but obviously the IB gig is more directly transferable as a whole in terms of BB/elite boutique IB next year. Leaning toward the PE shop right now, thanks for all the input guys.

I don't see taking the PE internship as a "future-killer" for any career opportunities going forward. You go to an Ivy, which means you have access to huge alumni networks. You won't be the first person from your school to take this path, and if you foresee difficulty transitioning from PE --> IB come junior year, then talk to alumni and see what you can do. If your school is a target, then students with decent GPA's/interesting resumes will make it out okay.

Yeah I definitely won't have a problem getting first rounds, I've got alumni contacts at all the BBs/Elite Boutiques and a good resume/GPA. Basically comes down to the PE gig being a better valuation/modeling experience at a far more prestigious name whereas the IB internship is obviously the most relevant experience for IB SA recruiting next year.

Pretty sure I'm gonna sign at the PE shop, appreciate all the help.

Merrill M&A will have tons of their senior bankers going to BofA. If you want M&A, the head of Barcap M&A is now head at Citi, and the group kinda desinigrated. Prob. stay away from UBS for now, because of the financial problems, however it still has a very good M&A department which will not go away solely because of the economic crisis, even if the bank's balance sheet is beaten up. I would rank:

Merrill, Barcap, UBS. But, if your looking for M&A i think it may be Merrill, UBS, Barcap.

on a side note, forgot the mention. when BarCap acquired Lehman. Lehman-ites got the royal treatment whereas original BarCap folks got shat on. BarCap cut most of its original IBD to take on the stronger Lehman IBD. BarCap cut most of Lehman FI to retain its original FI.

Friends who were 2nd yr analysts at original BarCap did not get 3rd yr analyst offers. Whereas, 2nd yr analysts at Lehman got the 3rd yr analyst offers from BarCap after acquisition.

Won't really affect your decision, but bit of insight into how BarCap dealt with its human capital in the past few months.

I would take BarCap.

mergerarb15:
If you want M&A, the head of Barcap M&A is now head at Citi, and the group kinda desinigrated.

The former Lehman co-head of M&A Mark Shafir went to Citi but the other Co-Head, Paul Parker, stayed and took full responsibilities as the new global head of Barcap M&A. In addition, virtually all of the heads of the Lehman industry M&A verticals joined BarCap and are heading the groups.

rthfg:
BarCap took Lehman's model though right? There is no M&A group but there are dedicated M&A analysts within coverage group.

Since many senior bankers have deffected, what groups are still strong within Barcap?

Not that many senior bankers left. Diamond actually did a good job of retaining talent.

Standout Groups: Natural Resources, CMG, Consumer/Retail, FIG

And yes, the M&A setup is basically verticals within coverage groups, not a single M&A execution group.

hey, how do you already know your group assignment along with the offer? i thought (and i am pretty certain concerning one of those banks at least), that you choose groups only after you sign or after a sell day...

I would stay away from ML. In Europe their FIG team was legendary. Now, 12 of their FIG bankers have gone for DB. If you want to work for an empty shell, go for ML. UBS have had problems, yes. But they are still top 5 M&A overall, top 3 in Europe, and #1 in the UK. I think UBS have been burnt quite a lot in the US, and that will affect them there. Barcap is the strongest, of the 3, going forward in the US. I'd take them in your shoes.

Just my 2c.

__________ Just my 2c.

if you're open to different products and not 100% sure you want to work in equities, citi might be your best bet. UBS seems to be goign through an enormous amount of shit right now, and I would recommend doing a rotational program so you can get a good feel for various asset classes.

that said, if you had a major preference for equities, id go MS all day.

I'd avoid UBS. They have been and will be doing cutting in S&T. So I'm with leveRAGE. Citi's rotational program if you're not sure, Morgan Stanley if you know you really like equities.

"There are three ways to make a living in this business: be first, be smarter, or cheat."

I'm actually going through a similar dilemma, and am seriously considering Wells simply because of their growth potential.

I want to do equities and know that their equities floor in NYC is rather small but i can see that growing and from everyone i've talked to it seems that pretty much an overwhelming majority of S&T interns get offers, which is nice that i wouldn't have to worry about FT recruiting.

turk1:
I'm actually going through a similar dilemma, and am seriously considering Wells simply because of their growth potential.

I want to do equities and know that their equities floor in NYC is rather small but i can see that growing and from everyone i've talked to it seems that pretty much an overwhelming majority of S&T interns get offers, which is nice that i wouldn't have to worry about FT recruiting.

in that case you hadn't talked to people who were interns this past summer.

if last summer is any indication, this summer might be a rough one as well.

//www.wallstreetoasis.com/forums/sa-ft-offer-rates-way-down

Thanks for all the help so far. I actually received another offer this morning from Goldman Sachs in Chicago for a rotational program internship, but at the Chicago regional office.

That said, I am leaning towards Citi in NYC or Goldman in Chicago,

Can anyone shed some light on the differences between working in a regional office VS. NYC, and the potential upside/downside to each?

mjj67:
Hi all, I was wondering which of the 3 summer offers I should take:

1) HSBC Global Markets in NY (probably a trading desk)

2) an alternative assets investment firm with a little over 1B AUM, that's kind of a hybrid between private equity and real asset investing.

3) a private equity firm with 3B AUM, but with a sourcing model. Also no chance for full-time offers.

Which of the three would give me better exit opps? I am hoping to break into either BB IBD or a large PE firm for full-time next year.

I am concerned with: 1) HSBC's negative reputation here on WSO. How does a HSBC internship rank in comparison to MM banks and prestigious boutiques for FT recruiting? 2) Firm #2 is relatively unknown outside of their niche market. But upper management is pretty accomplished. 3) With a sourcing model, would I be learning any technical skills? Would I just be cold-calling companies?

Any help would be appreciated!

You have to understand the perceived rep of various shops on this forum is... not accurate to say the least. Take HSBC, do well, get a return offer and interview early at other banks for FT if you want to move.

Whiskey5:
mjj67:
Hi all, I was wondering which of the 3 summer offers I should take:

1) HSBC Global Markets in NY (probably a trading desk)

2) an alternative assets investment firm with a little over 1B AUM, that's kind of a hybrid between private equity and real asset investing.

3) a private equity firm with 3B AUM, but with a sourcing model. Also no chance for full-time offers.

Which of the three would give me better exit opps? I am hoping to break into either BB IBD or a large PE firm for full-time next year.

I am concerned with: 1) HSBC's negative reputation here on WSO. How does a HSBC internship rank in comparison to MM banks and prestigious boutiques for FT recruiting? 2) Firm #2 is relatively unknown outside of their niche market. But upper management is pretty accomplished. 3) With a sourcing model, would I be learning any technical skills? Would I just be cold-calling companies?

Any help would be appreciated!

You have to understand the perceived rep of various shops on this forum is... not accurate to say the least. Take HSBC, do well, get a return offer and interview early at other banks for FT if you want to move.

Definitely agree with Whiskey here, especially when you know you can't get a FT offer from the PE firm.

Thanks all! I was leaning toward HSBC too, since it was the only shop in NY. Since they gave me the option to choose between sales, trading, and DCM, and I was leaning toward DCM, I was wondering how that compared to a trading desk in terms of FT recruiting. Again I am worried about the negative perceived rep of DCM here on WSO, but I realize it may not be entirely accurate.

Whiskey5 and BTbanker- how early should I interview with other shops? I've heard firms start FT recruiting in late August or early Sept but OCR doesn't begin until late-Sept/early Oct at my school. Should I reach out to alums at BBs way before that? The reason I am asking is because I missed out on first rounds at most BBs this year due to lack of networking.

You didn't mention in your post what it is that you want to do full time.

"For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen."

Sorry. I mean I want to ultimately be a part of a PE or HF firm. Honestly, I'm not sure as it is what I want to do. I just want to know what would provide the best potential opportunities.

This depends greatly on your experience at each place-what will they have you doing, what is the team like and will you be paid?

Gun to my head I pick the IB boutique though. Freshman year IB internships are exceedingly rare. Both of those PE funds are fairly small, but you'll likely get a more hands on experience.

Would shy away from the PWM unless the other three will have you running coffee and doing admin work.

What are you trying to get out of this internship? Do you already have an idea in which direction you'd like to develop your career? Just judging what could look good on paper I'd be torn between local IB boutique and BB PWM. The BB name can be quite helpful but from a learning perspective IB boutique could be better but if it's a 5-person shop nobody ever heard of it will be tough to make a strong argument about it. If USD120m is the biggest PE shop in your state, I wonder what state that is... At least for my standards that is not a lot at all. A decent PE firm should have at least USD300-500m AUM. Anything below is really small cap / growth equity / almost venture capital.

Is Bank B, BarCap? hah

----------------------------------------------------------------- “It's all nonsense. Firms use titles to pander to the egos of the employees without giving away the store. If you are getting the money, who cares about the title?"

Which place do you like better? Which place do you think will use you more and teach you more? Make the decision based on that. This is a SA position, you are looking for experience and a possible offer. I wouldn't let the time they took to get back to you as an indicator of interest or anything.

Yeah, BarCap, which essentially adopted Lehman's practices does the best job "courting" prospective bankers to their firm. They reach out after first round, hook you up with a mentor 1st year analyst from your school to prep you for the final round, give you a mentor during the final round process, one of my favorite banks culture wise. However, I'm assuming that the dilemma comes in because Bank A is most likely MS, due to the 3 weeks wait. That is a venerable investment bank the commands respect in the industry and in exit opportunities.

Group placement, most likely you will get one of your top three choices (90% get one of the top 3) so I wouldn't worry about that.

It's a tough call, go with your gut, judge by the people you met, look at which bank is the better in the group you want to join, if you want to go to buyside after, look at big PE/HF's and see where most of their hires come from, etc..

Congrats on the offers, either way, MS or BARC, you'll be fine.

----------------------------------------------------------------- “It's all nonsense. Firms use titles to pander to the egos of the employees without giving away the store. If you are getting the money, who cares about the title?"

Since it was through alumni, are these group specific offers are you still have to do the placement day. I like Barcap, but Citi is very good.

"Greed, in all of its forms; greed for life, for money, for love, for knowledge has marked the upward surge of mankind. And greed, you mark my words, will not only save Teldar Paper, but that other malfunctioning corporation called the USA."

^ Agree with the above in general, but it depends on what group. Citi M&A, Industrials, etc is gold. Barcap Energy is gold, DB...I forgot off the top of my head but they have a couple very good groups.

Depends on the group but in NYC I'd go for Citi or DB.

You know you've been working too hard when you stop dreaming about bottles of champagne and hordes of naked women, and start dreaming about conditional formatting and circular references.

DB M&A hasn't been great but their debt underwriting has been very strong. Sponsors and Lev Fin are great groups and they were #5 overall in total IB revenues for 2010. Not sure how much Citi has recovered but BarCap doesn't strike me as having a strong presence yet in the US. I think this comes down to the people and where you think you will be most successful

gsduke:
DB M&A hasn't been great but their debt underwriting has been very strong. Sponsors and Lev Fin are great groups and they were #5 overall in total IB revenues for 2010. Not sure how much Citi has recovered but BarCap doesn't strike me as having a strong presence yet in the US. I think this comes down to the people and where you think you will be most successful

Barcap was #2 in U.S. M&A for 2010 (behind GS). Not that league tables matter much, but it destroys the argument that "they don't have a strong presence in the U.S." I would personally avoid Citi as they still have the stench of the bailout all over them; add their massive bureaucracy plus continuous exodus of senior talent to the mix and you have a recipe for mediocrity, at best. Citi has slipped over the course of 2010 and nothing really signifies that they're on the rebound yet.

DB has done well recently, but I don't know enough about them to give an educated view. I just know that a few years back their analysts weren't getting very good placement (pre-crash), so I doubt that things have changed significantly over the course of just a few years. In the end, a lot of placement comes from alumni links and DB simply doesn't have that presence on the buyside.

Barcap is no Lehman, but they've certainly hit their stride and seem to be on the rise. My friends there are very busy and in general love the culture. It has a similar feel to legacy Lehman and I think probably the best choice. If you're looking at success in the US, Barcap has trumped DB and Citi. Culture is also better. My view on brand is relatively uneducated, but I'd give the top spot to Barcap. I think your choice here is going to be down to DB vs. Barcap (whichever culture you like more, but I'd push you toward Barcap). Avoid Citi like the plague.

^Please dont give misguided information. Citi was no.2 in M&A completed in 2009 and "fallen" to no. 5, right behind JP Morgan, the horror.

DB has remained stagnant at no.8 but still a strong bank.

Barcap also fell from 8-10.

This is all worldwide.

In the US. Citi fell from 4-6 and Barcap rose 4-6, DB is lagging. Citi and Barcap are no. 5 and, pending groups, pretty equal.

Dont troll just because you work at Barcap please, I know everyone wants to make their bank the best.

I don't know much about Belvedere, but I have heard good things about Chicago Trading as far employee happiness goes.

"For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"

brah i think it's clear enough. Nobody here's heard of Belvedere, but CTC is a well known firm...

I don't accept sacrifices and I don't make them. ... If ever the pleasure of one has to be bought by the pain of the other, there better be no trade at all. A trade by which one gains and the other loses is a fraud.

ibd_analyst:
can you get a return offer at the PE firm? you definitely want to FT recruit with an offer in hand. if both have the potential for a return offer, choose the PE firm.

Agreed. Definitely go with where you think you'll land an offer. However if your considering staying in banking and dont plan to make the jump to p/e, then go with the M&A shop. Congrats on the offers though. High quality problem.

What cities are both of these offers in? If one is in New York and the other is in Boston, that's a factor to consider as well.

Regardless, I think the general consensus that you'll find on this forum is that actual banking experience will always trump an alternate experience (even if it's at a more well-known firm). If you're trying to leverage your summer for a shot at FT recruiting with a "better" firm, it will be advantageous to demonstrate that you've had the opportunity to actually experience the kind of work that's done at an analyst level in banking.

Additionally, what do you mean when you say that the M&A TMT firm doesn't have a name outside of its niche market? You could say that most people don't know Allen & Company or USA outside of the tech sector, yet both of these firms are still extremely highly regarded in IBD.

Just to answer a few questions that I should have addressed in my original post:

PE is in PA IB is in NY

Return offers are possible at both.

The IB is known in the space primarily because all the MDs have been on the sell-side at BBs forever before creating this MM firm. Dealflow primarily in telecom. To contrast this, the PE firm has a good global brand, it's definitely not on the level of BX/KKR/Carlyle, it focuses on growth equity as opposed to traditional LBO shops.

Thanks for the input so far, really appreciate the discussion. And yes, I'm happy I have this problem after a difficult recruiting season.

Invest2014:
Just to answer a few questions that I should have addressed in my original post:

PE is in PA IB is in NY

The IB is known in the space primarily because all the MDs have been on the sell-side at BBs forever before creating this MM firm. Dealflow primarily in telecom. To contrast this, the PE firm has a good global brand, it's definitely not on the level of BX/KKR/Carlyle, it focuses on growth equity as opposed to traditional LBO shops.

Thanks for the input so far, really appreciate the discussion. And yes, I'm happy I have this problem after a difficult recruiting season.

What's the growth prospects of the IB shop? If it's somewhere you'd want to return to after the summer then I'd go with that. IF you definitely plan to recruit FT for a better place after summer then I'd go IB if you think you'll get modeling experience or be placed in a good group. Else would do P/E shop for brand name...(you'll probably have a better summer in NYC though)

Invest2014:

PE is in PA IB is in NY

If your goal is to work in IBD, this is kind of a no-brainer in my eyes. Not only do you actually gain investment banking experience that you can leverage throughout FT recruiting, but being in NYC also allows you the opportunity to do the sort of hardcore networking that you wouldn't be able to accomplish in PA.

Additionally, I've heard that working in PE your junior year will look specious to some of the more douchy bankers for full-time recruiting, in a "This kid will most likely jump ship for buy-side as soon as he gets the chance" sort of way. Not sure how true that is, but I think it's definitely something to consider. On the other hand, working in investment banking and recruiting for it again full-time shows that you did the work over the summer, and despite having slogged it out for 10 weeks, still have a continued interest in it.

Can't really comment on the growth prospect but I know they're making a big push into hiring more junior level staff, currently the firm is very top heavy with MDs making up the majority of the firm so there's definitely opportunity to take on responsibility and work with senior mgmt. I guess when it comes down to it, I'm asking how much does brand matter and does it look weird/suspicious to go from PE to IB for FT?

Knowing nothing else, go with the bank. That said, think about which one you are likely to receive a FT offer from? Many PE shops do not hire straight from UG, so take that into mind -- might want to think about how you got the internship and whether or not it is a for real chance for FT employment (only you know this).

Regardless, I'm of the opinion that banking experience trumps all when recruiting for banking.

"They are all former investment bankers that were laid off in the economic collapse that Nancy Pelosi caused. They have no marketable skills, but by God they work hard."

Not sure how relevant this is to you, but I had experience working in Oil & Gas at my first internship and when recruiting for my next internship my previous industry experience had little effect on what or how employers thought of me. My next internship coming from Oil & Gas was in Financial services and Healthcare.

WSOH:
Having the names and descriptions of the firms would be great. Given that you have the offers, it doesn't really matter, does it...?

Not particularly, I'd just prefer to keep it private for identification reasons. Will PM you.

Throw UBS out.

If you think you can land DB Lev Fin FT, take that. Otherwise, I'd give Barclays the edge because industry groups do their own M&A there (iirc). But if you feel like you'd fit in better at one or the other, let that be the deciding factor.

Ut hic a explicabo ipsam ratione. Laborum est a asperiores tenetur rerum suscipit itaque quibusdam. Cupiditate nisi vero qui id. Dolorem quidem quod veniam facere autem a error.

Iure aperiam nulla provident mollitia reiciendis voluptate error. Sit culpa ut occaecati voluptatum hic. Tempore numquam perferendis dolorum voluptatem ipsam est ut.

Ut magnam quia eveniet sed minus doloribus. Inventore dolorum eum dolorum aut soluta id id ut. Quasi consequuntur iusto non. Incidunt quia voluptas modi porro. Modi ut corporis voluptatum inventore beatae aut consequatur. Pariatur quia reprehenderit minima tenetur.

Robert Clayton Dean: What is happening? Brill: I blew up the building. Robert Clayton Dean: Why? Brill: Because you made a phone call.

Non unde provident et optio. Sed rerum eius consequuntur iusto natus. Omnis dolores et voluptates magnam perspiciatis. Atque consectetur molestias aut id doloribus reiciendis suscipit. Ut debitis ipsa officia cupiditate voluptas.

Minima quia unde esse pariatur qui. Aperiam ipsam eum aut ut nostrum velit veniam.

Eveniet omnis voluptas aut dolorum quia. Aut voluptate aspernatur nemo in explicabo dolores eaque quaerat. Iusto libero quia sit expedita sit nulla.

Et pariatur earum aut quidem alias commodi eum aliquid. Autem omnis consequatur nam est. Distinctio voluptates dolore et quia accusamus. Eveniet ipsum quis harum tenetur. Et culpa ut sit quia qui quis.

Est et amet tenetur autem nisi. Voluptatem ex ea distinctio tenetur ut. Similique omnis eius modi dolorem molestias maxime.

Ducimus consectetur id commodi libero iusto numquam dolor. Tenetur ut totam quibusdam fugiat. Repellat sit culpa dolor beatae quis sunt et iure.

Eum sit voluptatem sapiente expedita voluptas reprehenderit ex. Aut omnis totam aut voluptatem quia modi recusandae. Quasi ad enim repellendus officia maxime quam dolorem. Ut saepe officiis fugiat aliquid nesciunt voluptatem distinctio.

Non magnam rem at hic adipisci unde. Voluptate magni distinctio atque quos earum voluptas molestiae. Nisi placeat est quia quos. Eius est ut dignissimos sunt est. Minus sint deleniti quia sunt. Ipsum iusto numquam vitae itaque qui sit est. Est dicta reiciendis aliquid.

Voluptatum fugit quis dolor architecto ipsa deserunt ut. Cumque sit dolorem officia tempore et molestiae. Quo quod consequuntur dolores sit deleniti voluptas. Mollitia fugit est aut aspernatur nihil perspiciatis voluptate. Quas quibusdam id vitae id quam. Nisi quis fuga deserunt aut. Neque officiis iusto doloremque.

Laudantium tenetur molestiae quia quo. Soluta perferendis quas odio dolore sequi. Nobis dolores et cumque enim. Doloremque minus unde rem sit culpa deserunt.

Robert Clayton Dean: What is happening? Brill: I blew up the building. Robert Clayton Dean: Why? Brill: Because you made a phone call.

Enim et maxime debitis maxime rem dolores. Aut sed aut dolore sed eveniet. Qui aliquam possimus repellendus asperiores nemo velit.

Nihil et doloremque dolorum. Rerum dolores hic dolor officia. Corrupti molestiae magni necessitatibus. Et dolores consectetur et rerum laboriosam. Cupiditate quo et accusamus voluptates eos et voluptas. Aspernatur molestiae voluptas vel impedit facere. Minus at adipisci a est.

Ullam sit quam expedita laborum error consectetur et. Harum natus voluptates eum enim illo nostrum.

“Success means having the courage, the determination, and the will to become the person you believe you were meant to be”

Aut rerum quaerat saepe ipsum ut natus. Aliquid assumenda excepturi molestiae est doloremque aut. Occaecati hic amet velit libero sint. Autem a vitae ex laborum dolorum vitae sapiente et.

Aliquid quisquam consequatur pariatur harum quia vel. Non numquam quasi consequuntur est nemo sint. Omnis est aut consequatur. Ea autem earum soluta aut consectetur est est iusto. Accusantium facilis et ipsa.

Nihil repudiandae non sunt unde quia provident. Et enim molestiae et sapiente ut. Modi sit iure eos quo commodi corporis voluptatem.

Career Advancement Opportunities

March 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. (++) 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (202) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (144) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
dosk17's picture
dosk17
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”