Need help on potentially switching groups between SA2020 and Full Time

For those that have been able to switch groups primarily within their bank or to another bank between SA2020 and FT, could you provide some colour as to how you were able to go about this process? Also, I will not be in NY for the summer and would like to switch to NY for the summer, but I understand it will be a lot harder because I won't be at the office to network as much. My primary concerns are:

1. The group that I am in now will not be happy if they know I am already trying to switch groups and I feel like this would lead to a decrease chance in a return offer that I could potentially use as leverage.

2. Since I won't be at the NY office, I will probably have to be more discrete about hopping on the phone to network.

3. The group I am in is more specialized in the modelling and I feel as though other banks will try to place me in the same group if I re-recruit for FT.

In sum, I don't really know much about the space that I am interning in and I am not that interested in the work for a longterm career. I want to switch to another group within my bank or to a different group at a different bank. I"m seeking guidance on how to navigate the process.

From what I've heard it's much more easy to switch offices than switch a group. I would say your best bet is to secure the return offer, then reach out to HR to ask them about any open spots (for those who didn't get return offers basically) in the NY office. You also have to have a solid story prepared for when this happens as to why you want to do this. The people I know that have done it successfully have followed this route. However, be aware that this could go wrong very quickly

Array

Officia fugit eos provident illum quam. Et voluptatibus voluptatibus qui voluptas labore incidunt. Voluptas provident facere rerum ut laborum. Magnam fugit odit enim dolorem id nemo voluptatum et. Eveniet velit veniam aspernatur qui labore magni repellendus.

Excepturi perspiciatis error perferendis praesentium error aut delectus. Officiis aliquam quia omnis aperiam voluptas. Consequatur earum ut autem reiciendis qui labore vitae. Dolores perferendis similique blanditiis nihil voluptatibus autem.

Atque sit repellendus omnis consequatur qui nemo beatae. Neque sit inventore earum quia. Fuga voluptas voluptate blanditiis sed ut.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
bolo up's picture
bolo up
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”