No Offers - Summer Analyst 2019 Recruiting

Hello WSOers - I'm a junior at a semi-target and also an international student. I had a superday back in May with a MM IB (Think HL, Jefferies, Lincoln) and never heard back but the office has made offers so I'm guessing I was dinged. I had another first-round with another MM bank but didn't make it past that. All banks are done recruiting on campus (at least those that sponsor) so I am in a tough spot.
For a quick background, I have a 3.65, good amount of IB & PE experience and leadership exp as well. Also I submitted most of the applications with my old gpa 3.80 and I was wondering if I can still use that gpa for my resume and apps right now I am currently disputing a grade so I have a valid excuse. Will banks take back their offer if they see that 3.8 was my old gpa - I have transcripts from then to show that it was?
I have been networking extensively but most banks I networked with are done recruiting. I know a few global banks with US offices that are still recruiting so I am networking with them. I would love to hear from everyone how I can run off-campus processes and get those interviews coming from a non-target for those banks. Would also love to hear if there are any other banks still recruiting or haven't begun yet.
Also, should I put my international address on my resume or just stick with the university address -Thanks!

Most Helpful

First off, if you lie and a bank catches you you will be dinged. That said, if you submitted your resume before final grades came out there is no need to send an updated resume unless they ask for one. However, going forward you can't use your old GPA that's just straight lying. As far as finding a job, if you are from a semi-target use your on campus recruiting portal. If not, pick a city and google or linkedin search investment Banks Chicago, LA, Boston, NY etc. Remember, you are trying to get an internship. This is not the end all be all for your life. Plenty of regional banks are still recruiting as well as satellite offices for BB banks. Swallow your pride and apply for regional bank offices or even look at another industry. The more interviews you have the more practice you will get and hopefully you will get better at interviewing and possibly find a job. I understand there is enormous pressure for students now to put on their linkedin profile incoming BB analyst to seem important and "successful" to their friends, but the truth is 3+ years later where you interned matters 0. Additionally, outside of NY no one cares where you work. if you want to break into PE then you still will have to interview again and firms will be assessing you as a candidate and if you are a good employee and investor, not the prestige of the bank you worked at. If you really are serious about banking and long term that is something you want to do, it is entirely possible to move from a regional bank that does small deals to a BB for a full-time role (a real offer). Or, it is possible to work several years at a smaller regional bank and move to a large bank later in your career. I promise if you work hard it shakes out correctly in the end. I would ask yourself or maybe even call the banks that rejected you and ask how you could improve. Its much like applying to university; just because you didn't attend the #1 school in your country, does not mean you are worse than every Princeton/ Peking/Oxford student and will never have the same opportunities they have. Life is long and there are many ways to differentiate yourself. It will be ok, and you will be ok.

Easiest way to deal with the grades is to date your resumes. IE Last_FirstResume 9.18.18 - continue to use the 3.8 at banks that already have it (don't resend, but date it for your files as 6.1.18 or whatever), send in the 3.65 one with current date if they ask for a new one before the superday. If all of the resumes are dated and your GPA is current as of that time, you are fine.

3.8 to 3.65 is understandable given you probably spent the spring recruiting, I would not worry about the drop, and not worth lying at all. If the grade dispute goes through, update it, until then 3.65 is not that bad

Array

Thanks for the suggestions I can definitely work dating the resumes - I applied to all possible banks that opened their apps back in April so I wasn't lying earlier but I'm sending out networking email now using the resume I applied with because it has a better gpa. The issue is that these banks are done recruiting and most boutiques and MM shops don't sponsor which poses a huge challenge. Also, Citi and the rest of the big names are already done recruiting on campus so I'm mostly targeting banks that are still recruiting or haven't started yet -been having 8-10networking calls a week but struģgling with converting them to interviews because my school is not a target for any of them -any feedback on that?

Commodi impedit quisquam id sunt dolore in quis culpa. Ea officiis fugiat voluptatibus illum qui consequatur aperiam et. Et ut ut veritatis iure illum. Eum fuga facilis cumque temporibus quam assumenda quia expedita. Tenetur aut velit quaerat aut.

Career Advancement Opportunities

March 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. (++) 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (202) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (144) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
bolo up's picture
bolo up
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”