No return offer -> 2016 FT process

rising senior at a non-ivy target (UM ross/georgetown/chicago). got cut (along with 30-40% of my banking intern class) after summer analyst stint at a struggling BB (UBS/Deutsche). midterm and end of summer reviews were great, and while I can think of some reasons why I got cut I think the primary factor was cultural fit (I felt it was good but I guess that wasn't the consensus) putting me at the bottom of a strong intern class in my group during a bad year for the bank. In any case, two questions:

1. given the current state of that company, is "I was at a struggling bank" enough of an excuse to not have an offer to at least have a shot at converting something FT? I do have references who will vouch for my work this past summer (my group has a very opaque offer process and the junior bankers have very little say in who gets the job) and my work experience itself was strong (was on two live deals and a financing process that closed while I was there)
    1a. if it's not (or even if it is potentially) can anyone speak to having gone through this process before and having to have explained that away? I have ideas of my own as to how I'll sell this (e.g. bad cultural fit at the senior banker level, market conditions, etc.) but I'd appreciate hearing from other people

2. I've heard and seen that a lot of the major banks (particularly the euro bulges and BAML as I understand it but please correct me if i'm wrong) significantly overhired and made major cuts to their intern classes. I know this isn't the case for every bank (I know for a fact Guggenheim is hiring more from my school, per example) but is it even worth it to look at the bulge for FT without a serious insider connection this year?
    2a. Same for the EBs; I know EVR is basically just not hiring anyone who isn't a diversity candidate for FT (I don't fit the bill and my contacts at the bank are pretty clear that there's no getting around that, at least for me). Was curious how the FT market is shaping up for those places. I understand it's still very early but any advice or clarity would certainly be useful

thanks for the help.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
bolo up's picture
bolo up
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”