Nomura 2021 SA London (Natural Resources Team)

Hey all,

I was wondering if one of you has some insights about Nomura Natural Resources (P/U, Infrastructure, ...) M&A team in London in terms of reputation, deal flow, comps and exit in BB or EB or any other details you have !? And what do you think about their acquisition of Greentech ?

Thank you a lot in advance !

Bump - any insight into their Healthcare and their Consumer Team?

Nat res - hard working team, know a few people there.. Generally, Nomura has no M&A dealflow and no exits to the buyside...

Know some people who did an intern at nomura then went to bb

Most Helpful

The above is simply not true.

From what I am hearing from my friends (and I have a few across the firm across different levels), their M&A business had one on the best years ever in 2020 despite COVID etc...some of the larger deals include advising Global Wafers on US$5.3bn bid for Siltronic, Ardian on acquisition of a EUR1.5bn stake in Inwit in Italy, Allianz on EUR5.0bn JV with Telefonica in Germany, etc.

On exit opps, indeed these are probably more sporadic, but just do a LinkedIn search and you will see people recently exiting to GIC, Triton, Nordic Capital, GS MBD, Temasek, Alpinvest, Oaktree, TDR Capital, etc.

Plus, some indeed decide to lateral to GS/JPM/BAML if they so choose.

Not all teams are equal, of course, and the new enlarged Energy, Infrastructure and Industrials team is one of the best (if not the best) team at Nomura at present with exceptional M&A dealflow on par with top firms on the street. Particularly, as it concerns the Utilities & Infrastructure verticals.

Look up league tables for past three years in European M&A and tell me how Nomura ranks...

Truth is best interns/analyst usually move to lower tier BB (UBS, DB etc) and no exits (apart from middle market in which Nomura has some limited activities)

Your life as an analyst will not be defined by league tables but by the number of deals per analyst and exposure you have within your group. But as Analyst 1 you may have a very vague idea of what matters and what does not. Some banks and EBs that are in so much favor on this forum couldn’t care less about league tables just because their overall footprint is so much smaller.

Good luck being analyst #15 or #20 in a large and even successful team at some BB - if league table is what makes you happy, so be it. I hate to break it to you but not everyone (and actually only a small minority, representing less than 5-10% of your analyst class) is going to make it to Apollo, Blackstone or KKR and other MFs even from MS, GS or JPM. Some will have to settle for “lesser” opportunities.

The truth is that you will get a perfectly fine experience at a group with solid deal flow at Nomura and there are a 3-4 of those to choose from, incl NatRes. And if you have good experience, you will be able to find exits that are attractive, if that’s what matters to you.

And what about the coming year with their acquisition of greentech which is a solid name in the field ?

Ut animi voluptatibus deserunt nam sit dolorem. Aut quia molestiae ratione sapiente. Labore molestias nihil in aperiam. Blanditiis ut aut incidunt temporibus cumque. Atque totam qui ipsa rerum consectetur ut.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
bolo up's picture
bolo up
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”