Nomura IBD SA Offer 2017

Hey guys,

Just got an summer analyst offer from Nomura for their 2017 intern class in London. A lot has been happening in their IBD department, and I was wondering if anyone has some thoughts on prospects at the company, and how they are positioned in Europe at the moment? Just thinking of whether it is a good place to start my my IBD career. Thanks loads!

Hey,

Its a numerical and a logical reasoning test. The numerical is standard, but the logical one is a bit trickier. You have to do around 22 Qs in 12 minutes I think, so just don't stress out over not getting them all, thats fine, at least for me it was.

Hi, First of all, congrats! From what I heard it is a nice place to work, they have the boutique feelings coz the teams are small. Would you mind to share after how many days they got back to you after AC? I just finished AC last Friday, wondering when I should expect a result.

Cheers

Best Response

Direct feedback from people working there is that it's a good place with decent deal flow... BUT, if you have a choice I would recommend you look at other investment banks or elite boutiques compared to Nomura. Their platform is very unstable as proven by their massive over-investment and subsequent firing of people. People working there say it still hasn't been fully resolved.

If you don't have a choice a Summer Analyst Internship doesn't mean that you have to come back. You can always utilise the experience to get an offer from another place, but bear in mind that this would require networking/work early on to prepare for next year FT position.

Nomura is no longer in the Top20 M&A league table: http://www.mergermarket.com/pdf/MergermarketTrendreport.H12016.Financia…

Obviously, you can't reply purely on the league tables, but for Nomura who bought a leading franchise in Europe and not appear in the Top 15 is a pretty good indication of the trajectory that they are having. They did a decent job until 2011 when the guaranteed bonuses for the MDs were still in place (they all got 2-year min guaranteed comp), but after that you saw people slowly leaving, the mandates disappeared, the league table ranking dropped and they started mass-firing rounds and scale backs.

The trajectory of Moelis is very different and you can see from the MergerMarket league table that they are in Top20 in some areas/sectors.

Nomura is by no means a bad place, but I would not necessarily recommend them compared to elite boutiques or other investment banks.

Possimus porro dolore sequi dolor architecto. Sapiente dicta quod neque consectetur in aut. Ut impedit neque debitis.

Autem esse molestiae necessitatibus enim. Qui animi exercitationem autem veniam amet. Aut dolor debitis consectetur in voluptatem dolorem iusto. Earum natus aut voluptatum. Voluptas aperiam ea excepturi aliquam debitis autem optio saepe.

Provident unde nobis assumenda eum. Mollitia quos quisquam eius. Odio tenetur minima quos non nesciunt voluptas dolorum dolores.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”