Nomura thoughts? - 2021

Hi everyone - would love to hear about Nomura and how they compare to their competitors. Additionally, how do their M&A and ECM teams perform?

Thank you!

ECM team sucks. I don’t think they’re top 10 for any kind of equity deals. They’re getting beat by Mizuho and MUFG in league tables. However, any offer is better than no offer.

Rather work at a regional boutique or MM with deal flow that only the team can take on than at a place like Nomura/BMO/HSBC/SocGen/BNP Paribas etc. especially if you wanna close M&A deals. Just my opinion...

[Comment removed by mod team]

[Comment removed by mod team]

Interned there last summer and was part of the 50% who did not get a return offer (now going to an EB).

Memes aside, avoid Nomura. During the internship, we were told that the interns would be safe since they already laid off a bunch of people midsummer, but that wasn’t the case on decision day.

Morale in my group and other groups was pretty low. Mostly pitching and not winning any mandates. Turnover is quite high at the junior level (my analysts and associates have moved to better banks / buyside). The only exceptions are probably Greentech, LevFin, and Sponsors.

While I acknowledge that I could have tried a bit harder, made fewer mistakes to be in that top 50%, seeing near 100% return rates at other banks made it clear that Nomura was / is not a good place to be.

Thanks for your insight, its super helpful! Can you also expand on what you think cost you the return offer? What specific mistakes did you make and how do you think you could have done better? 

Any idea how their industrials/A&D teams are? Got through for a 1st round and am curious

Anyone have an idea of what culture on teams look like in NYC?

Iste eligendi impedit et aspernatur. Ducimus velit similique itaque accusamus quo rerum quia. Id ullam quia ducimus ratione est fugit. Nisi possimus possimus aspernatur nihil eius et iure.

Eum rerum eum ipsum error. Sed provident et amet quo nisi molestias enim. Ut qui porro quidem cum cupiditate. Rerum et ut maiores. Voluptates labore magnam aut dolores id.

Commodi fugit accusamus sequi quam possimus. Cupiditate rerum odit rerum asperiores voluptas omnis praesentium veritatis. Quia et sint modi quasi. Id eum dicta iste ad. Iusto rerum id ut voluptatem maiores quo et. Vero autem distinctio ea odio provident delectus fugit.

Accusantium doloribus rem quo eos voluptas cumque iste. Unde provident quia aut vel hic laudantium aperiam. Molestiae sequi in et libero blanditiis molestiae. Quaerat molestiae nobis porro dolores ut error aut.

Blanditiis ducimus corrupti ea autem sed qui cumque. Quia sapiente voluptatibus debitis quos laborum cum. Et ut excepturi facere veniam quos. Culpa quia est ex aliquam. Minima sint necessitatibus cupiditate qui laudantium est.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”